If not sheepdog, then what? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If not sheepdog, then what?

Quote Originally Posted by 50SR9 View Post
    Other than call the LED and observe, nothing unless it was perfectly clear the victim was going to receive serious bodily harm or death. At that point I would call attention to myself to let the attacker know that he/she is being observed. I would have my weapon ready but not drawn. I am not a cop, so unless the attacker turns to put me in physical danger, the weapon stays holstered. If the attacker decides to move the attack to me, I will draw and warn, then take appropriate action. I hope to NEVER be in this situation, but to just turn away.......no way in hell! I would hope others if they come along would do something similar, you could be helping my family member or I could be helping yours.
    Given that you are planning to "draw and warn" against someone who already has a gun in their hand the appropriate action would be to fall down and begin to bleed
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Given that you are planning to "draw and warn" against someone who already has a gun in their hand the appropriate action would be to fall down and begin to bleed
    That isn't what I meant. If the attacker had a gun I would have mine drawn before interjecting myself. I am not a fool, but not going to present my gun if he does not have one drawn first.

In my view, a sheepdog protects the sheep and doesn't go around lookijngfor trouble. My "sheep" are my family and friends and if they are threatened, I'll turn into a mean old sheepdog immediately to protect them. I'm not trying to protect strangers, they need their own sheepdog. Sorry, it's just my honest answer...
    Daily carry: Sig P239 or S&W 3913
    High Noon Horsehide holster
    Black Talon ammo

A sheepdog's primary duty is to is to keep sheep from running away from their master, who intends to shear them for their wool or butcher them for food. Hitler's SS were sheepdogs. We really need to find another symbol for a protector!

When I fisrt read the "sheepdog story" I liked it but the more that I have tought about it and the more it has been discussed the more I dislike it and disagree with the comparision and thought that it tries to inject into the role of a person. For starters I have said before and will repeat there are too many people walking around looking for an excuse to use their gun rather than having an actual need to use it. Next in those cases where you have to or do obtain a CCW/CWP/CHP/... the only thing that that permit means is that you now can carry a gun (or weapon in some cases) concealed (or openly in some states) without being arrested. It does not give you any police powers or responsibility that you did not have before. It is a permit, not a badge and if you think it is some kind of badge or provides you with special powers or responsibility then sell your guns before you get in big trouble or killed.

Ask almost anyone who carries a gun around on them and see what answer you get. Talk with them awhile and see if that answer holds up. Unless they are very unusual the true reason that they carry is not what they will tell you at first and the fact is they don't know why they carry. I really don't give a flyng flip about what your reason is but you need to be honest with yourself about it. Carrying a gun without a permit where legal is just like those places where you need a permit in that it does not give you any special powers, duites or responsibilities. If you look at a person and say "If I only had my gun I would do so and so" but refuse to do anything without your gun and claim that with a gun you or someone else would have had some kind of magical powers to stop or prevent something but without it they were just sitting ducks then you don't deserve to be allowed to carry a plastic knife for defense much less a gun.

Thousands of people sucessfully defend themselves and others every year in this country and others without a gun but about all I hear out of gun toters is poor old so and so is defenseless and doesn't have the right of self-defense without a gun. Too many people just sit around claiming they are sheepdogs because they carry a gun and making up reasons why they can't do anything without a gun while others are out there making a difference, defending themselves without a gun. A gun is not a magic talisman that will protect you and because you have a gun doesn't mean the other person won't shoot back. I constantly hear people tell that they have a gun for protection. I ask what did you do, make a suit of armor out of it? That is the only way it is going to protect you. A gun is just one more tool in your defensive toolbox and too many seem to think it takes the place of a brain.

If you see someone that needs your help and you base your decision on whether or not to help them solely on whether or not you have a gun then you are no sheepdog, maybe sheepdog excrement. Now how much help and what you do will depend on what tools you have available, especially if you put your brain in motion. Now whatever you decide to do and whatever help you offer or provide be sure you know what if going on before you do.

Quote Originally Posted by 50SR9 View Post
    Other than call the LED and observe, nothing unless it was perfectly clear the victim was going to receive serious bodily harm or death. At that point I would call attention to myself to let the attacker know that he/she is being observed. I would have my weapon ready but not drawn. I am not a cop, so unless the attacker turns to put me in physical danger, the weapon stays holstered. If the attacker decides to move the attack to me, I will draw and warn, then take appropriate action. I hope to NEVER be in this situation, but to just turn away.......no way in hell! I would hope others if they come along would do something similar, you could be helping my family member or I could be helping yours.
    I agree. Good post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12