Here's a question for you all... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here's a question for you all...

I would think that if the gun is legal and carried lawfully then it should be treated as any other item that may be long to a patient.
    Glad you are ok.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Thanks to the good wishes from everybody. Here's how the incident played out.

By the time the paramedics got me hooked up and started running my numbers, the pain had gone and all my vitals were normal. In fact, my BP was better than it had been in a while. I called my mother to come to my location as well. They wanted me to go to the Hospital, of course. I discussed it with them, and with my mother and I decided not to go. I have no job, no insurance, and a job interview today that I can't afford to miss. So, I spent the night at my mothers house so someone would be able to keep an eye on me and I'd have assistance if I needed it.

No issues since then and I feel fine. I had the nitro tabs because I had an unusual heartbeat back in October that sent me to the hospital. At that time, the doctors couldn't find anything wrong and gave me the nitro as a precaution. I'm glad they did.

When I'm working again I will get checked out. Until then, I can't afford it. Right now it comes down to a choice between eating and medicine.

This brings up a good question and I think that there have been some good answers but I would like to add some things. We often hear better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 and all kinds of of other sayings about making the necessary decisions to save lives that may have some concequences later. If you are having a heart attack or some other type of health related problem that is life threatening then worrying about our gun should be secondary. As was pointed out notify the EMT but don't hold back on getting treatment because your gun may be confiscated for a few days or even a year. I have read about people getting into arguments with EMT or LEO about thier guns and refusing treatment rather than letting someone else hold it or demanding that it be placed in a certain secure location. The point is that if the situation is serious enough that you have to call for EMT and an ambulance then your gun is something that you should not place before your life. It can be replaced a lot easier than your life and quit worrying about it. As others have said they have protocols in place to follow and you may not like them but I doubt that you like dieing either so it isn't a goood time to argue about it.

To the OP I hope things work out for you and wish you the best. Sounds like you handled things well and had your priorities right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    Thanks to the good wishes from everybody. Here's how the incident played out.

By the time the paramedics got me hooked up and started running my numbers, the pain had gone and all my vitals were normal. In fact, my BP was better than it had been in a while. I called my mother to come to my location as well. They wanted me to go to the Hospital, of course. I discussed it with them, and with my mother and I decided not to go. I have no job, no insurance, and a job interview today that I can't afford to miss. So, I spent the night at my mothers house so someone would be able to keep an eye on me and I'd have assistance if I needed it.

No issues since then and I feel fine. I had the nitro tabs because I had an unusual heartbeat back in October that sent me to the hospital. At that time, the doctors couldn't find anything wrong and gave me the nitro as a precaution. I'm glad they did.

When I'm working again I will get checked out. Until then, I can't afford it. Right now it comes down to a choice between eating and medicine.
    Glad to hear all is well. Hope your interview goes well also.

Wow, Scary situation to be in, not knowing for sure what may be causing the pain/etc.... Glad it turned out ok and you can carry on with living..... Best of luck with the job search too...

7. Good luck with the job interview!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

handgonnetoter Guest
    It seems to me that the gun would be put into police custody until you got out of the hospital. Man, you must have been scared big time, I would have been. As long as I knew my gun was taken by the cops, I would at that point just solely be worrying about me. Good luck my friend.

Glad everything's OK.

Notify EMT asap. Cops will usually confiscate weapons here, no receipts given. Most local EMTs here wouldn't care a bit.

I 24/7 concealed carry a "sacrificial weapon".

A weapon that I have "little money in it" and if it is lost, stolen, confiscated, etc. I got it 20 years ago, "severely cheap".

If I had a Kimber, I wouldn't carry it.

Yes, it is 100% reliable, shoots 3" groups at 25 yds.

10. Good health to you. Glad to see your not waiting for your Obama Hand out. Best wishes.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

11. When I broke my leg, going down on my motorcycle, I was able to give my pistol to the trusted friend who picked me up and took me to the fire station. I suppose it would have been legal to give to the ambulance crew, but I was on the way to work; I'd have had to prove I was only carrying it on my trip and not at work (a big no-no).

I'll try not to get hurt. If I have to call help, I'll try to get rid of the weapon before I go for a ride.

BTW, I think it's Frederic Basiat. Typing wtih cold fingers?
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast