Here's a question for you all... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Here's a question for you all...

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Glad everything's OK.

Notify EMT asap. Cops will usually confiscate weapons here, no receipts given. Most local EMTs here wouldn't care a bit.

I 24/7 concealed carry a "sacrificial weapon".

A weapon that I have "little money in it" and if it is lost, stolen, confiscated, etc. I got it 20 years ago, "severely cheap".

If I had a Kimber, I wouldn't carry it.

Yes, it is 100% reliable, shoots 3" groups at 25 yds.
    This reminds me of a discussion I was in on here about a year ago.

I was called out by another poster (who was later banned) for suggesting that people carry "cheap guns." Of course what I was actually saying was that they carry a gun with no sentimental attachment and that can be replaced. This started because another member stated that they carried a S&W 1917 .45 ACP revolver. I suggested that he switch to something like a Model 25 (pretty much a modern version of the same gun), so that if it were to be lost, confiscated, or stolen, he could replace at the local gun store. Turns out his carry weapon is a recently-manufactured replica (I didn't even know Smith was making recently manufactured replicas of this gun) so it was a non-issue, but I stand by my logic.

My carry gun is a Kahr PM9, a Smith and Wesson Model 60 or a Ruger LCP. I have no sentimental attachment to any of them. If they are stolen I'll just get another one. Having to spend the money again will suck and I won't be happy but I'll deal with it.

Clarification

For clarification:

Mine is not a junk gun. Just minimal price invested and no sentimental value.
    (I had one that LEOs tried to keep 15 yrs ago that was a Colt Custom Shop full comp stainless 1911. They didn't get it)

I attended a 1911 custom gun smith school 20 years ago. They are the only guns I work on. Period.

My sacrifical weapon is a 1911A1 which was purchased many years ago. Actually I purchased 2 simultaneously. 10 years later I sold one NIB for more than twice my purchase cost. Therefore the other was virtually FREE. I used to shoot competition before my eyes started to wane. Should not have sold it. lol.

When I decided to use this gun for my CCW, I tuned the trigger to #5, adjusted springs, installed a buffer, Chip McCormick mags. NO bells or whistles. Just a basic shooter.
    It is 100% reliable, period. Shoots 3" x 25 yd. groups with any ammo tried.
    My total dollars actually invested is far less than $100.

Occasionally someone MUST sell a weapon and I get to buy it super cheap.
    I have a (not a Colt) Commander that I recently purchased for $108, heavily used, shot a lot, almost no bluing. I thought, what the heck, If it's junk I can repair it.
    What a bargain. It shoots perfectly. With a new magazine it shoots 3" offhand at 25 feet. New springs and we're ready to rock and roll.

No I would never daily carry a $2,000 handgun.

But I also would not carry a cheapo junker or Saturday Night Special.
    Of course, some of us have been in situations that we would have given $10,000 for a 22 and 50 rounds. NO fun. Don't want anybody to experience that.

I would have removed my firearm and placed in in the glove box before EMS got to my location. Most EMS have policys that state they must turn over firearms to the police,not all but some. I would rather have it locked in my car then in the hands of the police for a few months.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    I have a (not a Colt) Commander that I recently purchased for $108, heavily used, shot a lot, almost no bluing. I thought, what the heck, If it's junk I can repair it.
    What a bargain. It shoots perfectly. With a new magazine it shoots 3" offhand at 25 feet. New springs and we're ready to rock and roll.
    I'd bet you could double your money on that one right now!

Seriously, it sounds like we are on the same wavelength with this. Carry a gun you can trust but can also stand to lose. I was always told that if you have to use your CCW to defend yourself, you should figure on never seeing it again. That's one reason why if I get another CCW I am considering a Glock. They are reliable, combat accurate, and around here you can get them for less than $550 new and usually find a good used one for $350 - $450.

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    I would have removed my firearm and placed in in the glove box before EMS got to my location. Most EMS have policys that state they must turn over firearms to the police,not all but some. I would rather have it locked in my car then in the hands of the police for a few months.
    That wasn't an option. It was all I could do to stay conscious until the ambulance arrived and I wasn't even able to get my car door open.

The police never responded.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Really? What make of gun is it? I would like to have one like that.

Quote Originally Posted by handgonnetoter View Post
    Really? What make of gun is it? I would like to have one like that.
    Sure.
    Itsa "I can't feed my children, how much will you give me" BRAND of 1911.
    I have found several of these over the last 30 years. Some NIB, some worn out.
    This company also made revolvers and long guns.

Always carry plenty money on your person:

But remember, as a State Trooper told me as he was handcuffing me....... "Anybody with more than $40 on them is a drug dealer". (It cost me $2,000 to win in court)

In fact, my cell just rang, I am on the way to look at one right now. gun not state trooper.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123