Open Top Or Thumb Break w/explanation - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Top Or Thumb Break w/explanation

Try a Blackhawk serpa holster. They are better than a thumb break in my opinion due to not having to worry about the thumb break strap getting caught in the gun when re-holstering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Try a Blackhawk serpa holster. They are better than a thumb break in my opinion due to not having to worry about the thumb break strap getting caught in the gun when re-holstering it.
    I love these holsters (Blackhawk Serpa).... Adjustable cant and good retention.....

I have had a gun fall out of an open top before, so I no longer trust open top holsters.....

I use a Kahr with thumb break for my Kahr 9 and a Blackhawk with the button for my G23. I love them both. I have to be able to run, jump, hang upside down, or whatever knowing for certain my gun is secure. I want anyone who tries to touch my gun have to go through extra steps to get it out if I OC. I want the extra step in case it's accidentally hit by anyone (kids are with me all day) or other objects I seem to not be able to avoid every once in a while. The holsters I use have to cover the trigger too. I wish I could get a Blackhawk for my Kahr as I prefer the button, but the leather hugs my body closer and distributes the weight better.

I have a serpa CQC, but it doesn't ride as high or tight as I would like....I'm not real close to purchasing the holster yet but I'm still leaning toward the High noon for OWB and a CBST for IWB. I'm not sure which order they will be purchased in...but I'm leaning toward the High Noon belt as well.

Thank you for all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by ParrotHead View Post
    Waited that long, did ya?
    Hmmm. That's about when I started running!

With regards to the post, the balance of safety and quickness will differ from person to person, depending on their specific circumstances. If it's a holster like a fobus, you will already have good retention without a thumb break.

a good holster does not need a thumb break, but if you get one with it, you need to practice enough to be efficient.

also if you get one with out a thumb break you need to test it running, jumping, and the stuff that you do during your active life( that includes going to the bathroom...yes, the gun can drop if you are not careful...people do not think about this :), but it happens).

so you make sure you test both and enjoy..!

8. Quote Originally Posted by stingray2100 View Post
    a good holster does not need a thumb break, but if you get one with it, you need to practice enough to be efficient.

also if you get one with out a thumb break you need to test it running, jumping, and the stuff that you do during your active life( that includes going to the bathroom...yes, the gun can drop if you are not careful...people do not think about this :), but it happens).

so you make sure you test both and enjoy..!
    Good point. I had a holster in the past that relied on belt tension to hold the gun in place. Fortunately, I discovered it at home. It's in a box in the bottom of a wardrobe now with the rest of the 'close but not close enough' collection. That's NOT what you want to have happen in a public bathroom.

I vote againat the retention strat for a concealed gun because I've had times when I was practicing my draw and the strap wouldn't unsnap. If it isn't there it can't go wrong
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

10. I think the question is one of philosophy, what do you believe the primary purpose of a thumb break is?

There is a school of thought that believes that a thumb break prevents a pistol from falling out of a concealed holster accidently

Others believe that a thumb break is for weapon retention, that is to prevent someone else from drawing your pistol.

OK, I have argued on other posts that there is really no substitute for a good custom concealed carry holster. A Mitch Rosen or a Milt Sparks holster may be pricy but it will not have issues with pistols falling out. Quite the opposite in fact, many of these holsters need to be broken in before they can be used for every day carry. It will also hold the pistol close to your body give excellent comfort, and concealment, and excellent retention. In holsters of this type a thumb break is usually not required (but is offered on many models for those who want, or are required, to have them).

More "entry level" or mass market holsters, will be made of thinner, lower quality leather, will wear out, stretch and develop retention problems over time. For holsters like this a thumb break may eventually be required simply to keep a weapon in the holster. However at that point you should just buy a new one, it was cheap remember?

For open carry, or those who may, by the nature of their job such as plain clothes officers or federal agents, come into close contact with someone who might want to take their pistol away and do them great bodily harm, a retention device is a good idea and in some cases required by higher authority. For most people who carry concealed, concealment serves the function of limiting access to the pistol by another person and serves as its own form of weapon retention. As has been mentioned a thumb break or other form of mechanical retention requires training to be able to attain and maintain a rapid presentation.

All that being said it really boils down to comfort level, If you are uncomfortable carrying a pistol without a thumb break then by all means use one, but use it with the knowledge that you will be required to put in some extra training time to use it effectively

Well the holster in question is a very high quality molded to the weapon holster. So I'm not overly concerned that it would fall out with normal use. However, should have to run after some kids or jump off something in the course of playing with them, I feel the thumb break would be a good idea. It will be an OWB CONCEALED rig...Of course I will practice, you should do that with ANY holster, thumb break or not....

I appreciate all the feedback!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast