Citizen's Arrest
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Citizen's Arrest

Citizen's Arrest

Anyone have any thoughts or facts on laws governing the act of a citizen's arrest involving a firearm? I have read about citizen's arrest procedures in my state (okla) but did not see anything about firearms being involved. I am currently researching this.

In TN you can use the reasonable force necessary to make the arrest, but you can not use or threaten deadly force except as allowed by the self-defense laws.
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

Unless you are working for a bondsman, "citizen's arrest" is an idea to stay away from.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Unless you are working for a bondsman, "citizen's arrest" is an idea to stay away from.
    I agree. I think it could go south real quick.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Quote Originally Posted by 50SR9 View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts or facts on laws governing the act of a citizen's arrest involving a firearm? I have read about citizen's arrest procedures in my state (okla) but did not see anything about firearms being involved. I am currently researching this.
    Quite possibly one of the worst ideas you could ever have. Your CHP didn't come w/ a bat cape, you are not a sheep dog and you don't need a CHP badge. leave all that crap to the cops
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

In SC, the law is very very clear, at least at night. SC Code of Laws Title 17 Chapter 13-20: "A citizen may arrest a person in the nighttime by efficient means as the darkness and the probability of escape render necessary, EVEN IF THE LIFE OF THE PERSON SHOULD BE TAKEN, when the person: -----being under circumstances which raise just suspicion of his design to steal or commit some felony, flees when he is hailed" Come to SC as a perp and like doing your business at night, you better have your family protected with life insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    In SC, the law is very very clear, at least at night. SC Code of Laws Title 17 Chapter 13-20: "A citizen may arrest a person in the nighttime by efficient means as the darkness and the probability of escape render necessary, EVEN IF THE LIFE OF THE PERSON SHOULD BE TAKEN, when the person: -----being under circumstances which raise just suspicion of his design to steal or commit some felony, flees when he is hailed" Come to SC as a perp and like doing your business at night, you better have your family protected with life insurance.
    The law may be clear, but the facts never are.

Do they sell "you may become a prisoner" insurance? If so, before you play Dirty Harry you might want to buy some.

I am not advocating or suggesting to go play cop. What if you walk up on a situation that a person is being beaten, raped, or similarly being attacked. This goes back a bit to the "sheepdog". I believe that we as legally armed citizens should do what we can to help others in those situations. Go hunting for those situations?? Oh hellllllllllllllllllllllllll no! The last thing I want to do is shoot someone, but there is no doubt in my mind that in the situation necessary, that I would. The question was meant to find out if anyone has any information on a citizens arrest in such situations. The LEO's of this country need all the help they can get, they are far outnumbered.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    So let's see if I understand this:

Step 1: You see someone at night that you "suspect" might be planningto commit a felony (raise just suspicion of his "design" to steal or commit some felony).

Step 2: You yell "Hey You! Stop! I've got a CCL Badge! Citizens Arrest! (hailed)

Step 3: The suspected perp turns and runs. (flees when he is hailed)

Step 4: You shoot him/her (by efficient means...EVEN IF THE LIFE OF THE PERSON SHOULD BE TAKEN)

Step 5: Surrender your weapon and Go to jail...Go directly to jail.

I think the first step you take, if possible....Dial 911.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast