Incident while carrying concealed with a fanny pack. - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Incident while carrying concealed with a fanny pack.

OC in he PRM???? Not according to the instructor at S&W where I took my CC class.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Q. What do people typically put in fanny packs?
    A. Valuables, car and house keys, wallets(with ID'Si.e. your name, address, pictures of the people who live there) guns.

Q. If you were a street thug, what is the first thing you would take from your victims?
    A. Their bag of valuables. i.e. fanny pack.

Q. If a crook has the drop on you, and you have a gun in your fanny pack, are you going to give up your fanny pack, with a gun and your address, and your house keys in it?
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Open carry is inviting trouble. Anti-gun people have harassed a friend of mine several times. He insists on OC even though he gets harassed. (BTW: we live right near Columbine HS. Guns are a major issue here for obvious reasons) If you OC and go into a convenience store (example) and bg comes to rob the place, he's going to see your gun and shoot you before you have a chance to react. I've seen videos on that. Fanny pack is a visible mans of carry and bg knows that. They read all the same magazines and websites we read. They're not stupid (unfortunately).

• fudo
    Q. What do people typically put in fanny packs?
    A. Valuables, car and house keys, wallets(with ID'Si.e. your name, address, pictures of the people who live there) guns.

Q. If you were a street thug, what is the first thing you would take from your victims?
    A. Their bag of valuables. i.e. fanny pack.

Q. If a crook has the drop on you, and you have a gun in your fanny pack, are you going to give up your fanny pack, with a gun and your address, and your house keys in it?
    Couldn’t agree more…it’s a risk some people (including me) take.

Mobuck is right:
    In Colorado last summer, I'd guess roughly 1/3 of the touristy folks were carrying a fanny pack or larger camera case. More females than males but still, quite a few of all age groups. Actually, the brighter the color, the less likely someone will figure you're packing. I would call them a belt pack since no one was carrying them on their "fanny".
    Absolutely. I bought some patches with Canon, Olympus, etc on them. If someone sees the patch, they believe it without hesitation- psychological games.

CMNIII
    Interesting discussion, but, who cares. So somebody has the inkling you might be carrying. So what? Are you actually concerned with what they might think of you? What difference does it make? You don't act any differently when you carry (you don't, do you?) except, perhaps, with a bit more positive purpose so, what possible difference can it make?
    It’s not about what others think of you; it’s about bg recognizing you from the start and targeting you, first.

Scub
    I carry open almost exclusively, and most people (80%+) don't notice a 3" S&W 686 on my hip, so I doubt they would have any inkling that there is a gun in a fanny pack. It is usually not something the "non-carry" public even considers.
    Open carry is illegal in many places. That’s a problem, too. Like I said earlier, OC makes you a fast target for BG.

Daven:
    I really want to invent or modify a holster to mount under my seat, but haven't figure out a way yet. So, I carry a fanny pack holster when I am sitting down for the day. I don't think people suspect I have a gun in there. who knows, maybe they do. Maybe I should roll up to someone one day and say "do you think I have a gun in my pack?" LOL NOT!
    Do it. I will try to send a private message with an idea to patent for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rdc2co View Post
    Open carry is inviting trouble. Anti-gun people have harassed a friend of mine several times. He insists on OC even though he gets harassed. (BTW: we live right near Columbine HS. Guns are a major issue here for obvious reasons) If you OC and go into a convenience store (example) and bg comes to rob the place, he's going to see your gun and shoot you before you have a chance to react. I've seen videos on that. Fanny pack is a visible mans of carry and bg knows that. They read all the same magazines and websites we read. They're not stupid (unfortunately).

.[/COLOR]
    Please cite examples where someone OC'ing (or with a fanny pack)has been targeted. I OC all the time in WA with never any problem. I would love to have a link for the videos you speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by rdc2co View Post
    Yeah, that's why criminals always shoot cops (/sarcasm off). Have you noticed that uniformed cops open carry? Don't you think that most criminals would wait or go somewhere else rather than intentionally get into a gun battle?

No one will ever know how many times a criminal changes his mind about a hold up when he sees someone open carrying. There was an incident down South early last year where several criminals cased a White Castle, saw some open carriers present, and waited until they left before doing the hold up.

It's only a myth that open carrying will cause you to get shot first. A myth without any data to back it up. I'm not pushing open carry, but these silly myths need to be addressed.

Personally, I use a fanny pack mostly while driving on road trips....more comfortable than any kind of body carry (IMHO).

However, I do live in South Florida where fanny packs are NOT an uncommon sight. If I do happen to wear mine, I doubt too many people (except for fellow gun nuts) instantly assume I'm carrying a firearm....after all, I look like what I am...a middle-aged guy with greying hair and a goatee....not exactly an obvious threat.

I have, accidentally, worn my pistol exposed (my shirt tail got caught behind the grip and I forgot to check when I got out of my car) and walked around without anyone seeming to notice, and no cops being called to the "man with a gun", here is a state that does not allow open carry.....people REALLY don't notice.

Quote Originally Posted by k45 View Post
    Yeah, that's why criminals always shoot cops (/sarcasm off). Have you noticed that uniformed cops open carry? Don't you think that most criminals would wait or go somewhere else rather than intentionally get into a gun battle?

No one will ever know how many times a criminal changes his mind about a hold up when he sees someone open carrying. There was an incident down South early last year where several criminals cased a White Castle, saw some open carriers present, and waited until they left before doing the hold up.

It's only a myth that open carrying will cause you to get shot first. A myth without any data to back it up. I'm not pushing open carry, but these silly myths need to be addressed.
    Cops get ambushed all the time. Most of the time it's not reported- there are legit reasons for that. My Sgt was bounced a month ago. First Sgt also bounced recently. One had a brick, one had a blade. One dumped something into a sewer inlet, but we don't know what. Fourth one unarmed. Also, look up the incident in Lakewood, WA. 'Horror scene' as 4 Lakewood police officers shot, killed | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News | Local & Regional
    Search for suspect in Lakewood police slayings | KING5.com Seattle
    Some BG hate anyone in uniform. Period. Sorry you got bad info.
    For us, it's not getting any better. We just had a major training about that. We are not required to travel in pairs. No options.
    I will keep looking for my civilian OC issues. Just need time to sort through my stuff.

White Castle

I remember this case- yes, we are required to study these cases.
    I will try to find those links, too. You are absolutely right about that one. I also saw it on some reality TV show (Most Daring?) Let me look for that one, too.
    Good call...

48 replies to a thread about FANNY PACKS?? OMG! But then again I read them all!! What does that sayt about me? OH and Yes I have a fanny pack, But my GUN doesn't go in there...

I was targeted

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Please cite examples where someone OC'ing (or with a fanny pack)has been targeted. I OC all the time in WA with never any problem. I would love to have a link for the videos you speak of.
    I was targeted. Me. You're talking to one. I was in a restaurant and two State Troopers came up to me and asked what was in my pack. I told them what was in there, then they asked me for ID. Ok. They were happy and walked away. No problem.
    I am still looking for the other videos. I have hundreds to look through. Bear with me.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast