Incident while carrying concealed with a fanny pack. - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 68 of 68

Thread: Incident while carrying concealed with a fanny pack.

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado / Colorado
    Posts
    246

    open carry, fanny packs, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    As per fudo's post > > >Q. If you were a street thug, what is the first thing you would take from your victims?
    A. Their bag of valuables. i.e. fanny pack. Now this may pose a problem for me. Lots of times I carry a "pocket" gun. That would be an LCP.
    I wear a t-shirt and shorts. The only place I could carry any valuables would be in my remaining pants pockets. Now I am willing to bet that more then 95% of guys out there carry their wallet in their pants pocket. (front pocket being best to guard against pick-pockets.) Most street criminals know this to be true. So since it was pointed out that a "fanny" or "waist" pack would be the first thing a criminal would go for it makes me think that if you are not wearing such a pack the criminal would go for your pants. So to avoid this I will not wear a "waist pack" or pants!!!!
    VERY good point. That's why I like the Kholster and Crossbreed holsters so much. I can carry regardless of what clothes I'm wearing.
    There is a product that is compression shorts with a holster attached at the 5 o'clock position. I just don't like to carry at that position. I would rather carry at the 3 o'clock. I also like a forward rake to better conceal the grip. Does anyone know about a similar product (shorts/underwear) where I can re-position the holster anywhere I want it?

  2.   
  3. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado / Colorado
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    I'll deviate from the topic a bit. Do I understand correctly? Two cops walk up to you for no reason, without provocation, and start an interrogation? Or is there more to this story? Just curious because while I don't talk back to LEOs, I'm not sure I wouldn't have asked them why they were interested, at least after they were done with me.
    Sorry I missed your question- Yes, they can just walk up to you and ask to see your permit. They are not supposed to do this, but it happens all the time. If that happens, you are not concealing very well, however, and bg knows about packs just as much as we do.
    I was working a street fair and a guy walks past us with his gun OC. We didn't approach him, but we hung back and watched for a minute or two (literally). We just want to know that he's not going to 'go Tucson' on us.
    As far as talking back to them, no, I agree that this is a very bad idea. If you are approached, just show them your permit. If they ask to see the permit, just say "ok, sure." and let them see it. Chances are they will say "ok. Thanks" and that would be the end of it. If they give you some sort of lecture or tip, just listen politely and don't talk back. You are very right on that thought.

  4. #63
    JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rdc2co View Post
    Sorry I missed your question- Yes, they can just walk up to you and ask to see your permit. They are not supposed to do this, but it happens all the time. If that happens, you are not concealing very well, however, and bg knows about packs just as much as we do.
    I was working a street fair and a guy walks past us with his gun OC. We didn't approach him, but we hung back and watched for a minute or two (literally). We just want to know that he's not going to 'go Tucson' on us.
    As far as talking back to them, no, I agree that this is a very bad idea. If you are approached, just show them your permit. If they ask to see the permit, just say "ok, sure." and let them see it. Chances are they will say "ok. Thanks" and that would be the end of it. If they give you some sort of lecture or tip, just listen politely and don't talk back. You are very right on that thought.
    Interesting that the police do this where you are. While I am not offering any inference I am reminded of past and present govts that stop citizens for no legal reasons. I suggest we are seeing an elevated police state atmosphere in many parts of the US and this seems like one example.

  5. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado / Colorado
    Posts
    246

    re: LE questions

    Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    Interesting that the police do this where you are. While I am not offering any inference I am reminded of past and present govts that stop citizens for no legal reasons. I suggest we are seeing an elevated police state atmosphere in many parts of the US and this seems like one example.
    I see your point. It makes sense, however, as long as they are not documenting my name, address, etc as a formal stop, I don't have a problem with a simple question. They didn't call anyone or document the stop. All they did was ask if I had a permit.
    The reason I don't worry about it too much this way, is because we have seen people carrying who have felony warrants and also carrying drugs. Some of them had just left some sort of crime scene. I just want to remind everyone that we are upstanding and responsible citizens. Not everyone carrying a gun is a 'good guy' like we are. I've been shot once and stabbed once. Those were enough. I won't be disappointed if I end up saying the same thing at 80 years old.

  6. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by k45 View Post
    "Nothing screams "gun" as much as a fanny pack"

    Or an untucked shirt tail ;-) Seriously, when in Walmart and I see someone with an untucked shirt tail, I wonder if they are carrying.

    However we carry, we think it is obvious to everyone else. Yes, it might be noticed by a cop or another carrier, but most non gun people just do not notice....and so what if they do? As has been observed by many people who open carry, most people are totally oblivious to a fully exposed gun on a hip. Do you think those same people think "gun" when they see a fanny pack? I don't think so.
    I don't tuck in my shirt tails because I'm a slob, not because I'm packing....LOL
    Keep your paws off my Carrots and my guns
    My rules to live by Never trust a squirrel, never french kiss an ardvark and never bring Jumbo hotdogs to a nudist colony barbcue.

  7. #66
    I found a good substitute for a fanny pack... Home depot sells a three tool holder pouch, made by Husky.. It goes on your belt and has a cell phone pocket on the front, it also has a pocket perfect for my Mag on the front.. The main pocket covers most of my mid size Mauser 1934... I took a peice of black cloth and folded it over the remaining exposed portion of the gun.. I keep my shirt untucked and it looks like I got a work tool pouch on, because I do... Gun doesnt print, eyes don't turn, no one even suspects it... If you have a mid size to smaller gun, give it a try... only $5.00
    Keep your paws off my Carrots and my guns
    My rules to live by Never trust a squirrel, never french kiss an ardvark and never bring Jumbo hotdogs to a nudist colony barbcue.

  8. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northern Neck of Virginia
    Posts
    2

    How things have changed!

    Concerning fanny packs ~ I have a MIL-TECH fanny pack which I literally carried around the world in 1997 without any questions asked whatsoever, anywhere. This was worn when traveling through airports in Richmond, VA, Dallas-Fort Worth, LA, Shanghai & Beijing PRC, and return. It was also worn daily while in China. Needless to say, there was no handgun involved. It was used to carry local money, ID, and a small cassette recorder to take notes. (I am a writer). It was worn quite visibly on my person everywhere. No airport security asked to x-ray it or open it. Believe it or not, this is a true account of what could be done only 14 years ago. I would not attempt to try this again. Where has our freedom gone?

    Endowment Member N.R.A.

  9. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mo.
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    As per fudo's post > > >Q. If you were a street thug, what is the first thing you would take from your victims?
    A. Their bag of valuables. i.e. fanny pack. Now this may pose a problem for me. Lots of times I carry a "pocket" gun. That would be an LCP.
    I wear a t-shirt and shorts. The only place I could carry any valuables would be in my remaining pants pockets. Now I am willing to bet that more then 95% of guys out there carry their wallet in their pants pocket. (front pocket being best to guard against pick-pockets.) Most street criminals know this to be true. So since it was pointed out that a "fanny" or "waist" pack would be the first thing a criminal would go for it makes me think that if you are not wearing such a pack the criminal would go for your pants. So to avoid this I will not wear a "waist pack" or pants!!!!
    Just make sure you got a PERMIT for that "thing"
    We ALL shall see the Lord one day .... please don't make me set up the meeting.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast