Spotting people CCW? How often do you see it? What are the give-aways? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spotting people CCW? How often do you see it? What are the give-aways?

Rarely if ever here in Central MS.
    Several in our motorcycle club CC and easily hidden with their vests.

I'm trying a different holster today actually. I usually wear shirts un-tucked and use a Fobus paddle SP-11.
    We stopped by dealer yesterday to pick out a holster for my wife and she spotted a Taugu Belt Snap for my .45. Tried it on and liked it. Gun rides a little lower but is much closer to the body. With my dress style, it doesn't show at all where the Fobus did once and a while. More comfortable also.
    Taurus 24/7 OSS DS .45
    Ruger LCR .357
    Remington 870 Tactical 12 ga

3. Quote Originally Posted by gonkrzy View Post
    Only thing I've really got to watch is bending over, as I usually carry OWB at 4 o'clock, bending over ensures the grip will print enough to be seen.
    The trick is to pick stuff up without bending your back.

Don't bend over, squat down.

Yeah, it can be hard on old knees (or just well abused ones) but it looks much better than bending over and raising one leg behind you for balance like a ballerina or something.

CCW Badges are a dead give-away.

Quote Originally Posted by gonkrzy View Post
    Whenever I see a tactical vest (or a vest of any kind, for that matter) on someone I automatically start looking for tale-tail bulge. Hitching the belt, adjusting themselves all give clues that they've got a gun hidden. Whenever, I exit my car, I always reach down and tug the bottom of my shirt on the gun side to ensure the shirt hadn't ridden up while sitting. I always wear polo type shirts, which are a tad heavier than t-shirts and therefore help hide better. Only thing I've really got to watch is bending over, as I usually carry OWB at 4 o'clock, bending over ensures the grip will print enough to be seen.
    What's so funny about that is that I have been wearing a vest everyday for 10 years - and was not packing. Now I am and I just figured out that a lot of folks probably thought I was all along!

6. Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    What's so funny about that is that I have been wearing a vest everyday for 10 years - and was not packing. Now I am and I just figured out that a lot of folks probably thought I was all along!
    Unless there's a Nikon or some other big 35mm camera hanging around their neck, I assume that anybody wearing a photographer's vest is carrying a gun.

Funny thing regarding my comment about vests, when the weather is cool, I wear a Scottevest, the vest looks nothing like a photographers vest or for that matter any of what I call the "shoot me first" vests. It's just a smooth nylon vest with close to a zillion hidden pockets in it. Check it out at Travel Clothing & Innovative Wrinkle-Free Travel Clothes (Jackets, Vest & more Clothing for Travel) - SCOTTEVEST/SeV®, Scott Jordan Founder & CEO, Pocket Clothing for Travel Accessories and Travel Gear. I wear it quite a lot since I always wear short sleeve shirts and always untucked....and as I'm diabetic I'm always cold. This vest doesn't call attention to you...IMO. Now, as the weather gets warmer, I'm gonna have to quit wearing it and go with a IWB holster, (which I hate...it really rubs my dunlop) but it conceals better than my OWB holster.

PS...I have no affiliation with Scottevest...just like their stuff

80% of CCW is your attitude and body language. period.

Full size 1911, Bianchi #6 IWB, 2 oclock, casual or dress slacks, extra size black tee or dark polos, never tucked. The extra long shirt length allows me to tuck 1" under the belt tab to hold the shirt down if I have to reach.

If I rarely tuck with dress shirt, tie, sport coat, then carried IWB at 2 or 4 oclock.
    I'm average size, a little fluffy, and the 1911 fits my body style after 30 years.

I got used to the 2 1/2 pounds weight decades ago (attitude), but carried a compact for a few years. I see little difference even at 100* temps.(attitude)

Numerous times I have stood and talked with LEOs, etc. and when the conversation came to CCW, they are amazed that I have a weapon.

Don't know that I have ever been detected in 30 years. But I slipped a couple times and let it be seen. Nobody cared.

In fact, I am so used to my friend being with me, that more than once I have gotten to my car, then gone back into the house to get it, and discovered I already had it on. Often I literally cannot tell that I have it on.

Yep, needed it a couple times over the years.

As far as me seeing other people CCW, I don't care enough to look. I have other hobbies.
    But there have been a couple of obvious ones; twice I mentioned it to help them.

9. guilty

My part rime job is in retail in a not so friendly area so I tend to carry around 2 o'clock IWB... work Tshirt combined with 250 lbs usually conceals well but I hitch all the time! Sometimes tightening my belt helps but honestly sometimes I feel like it loosens itself!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    Here in NC it's not so common, I have yet to run into anybody that I could spot for sure. Have not been made out either, yet.
    I'm also in NC, but would have to say concealed carry isn't as uncommon as you might think. I see a good number of people coming into the range carrying, and they tend to be average dressed people, just not that easy to tell till they bring them out for practice. I'm not one who feels it's all that important to either hide it or let others know it's there. It's for my protection, not for my ego, nor to scare anybody. Most of the people I know and speak to about it tend to feel the same way, so they're pretty low key, discreet carriers.

11. I am real new to CC, but do not understand why all the concern over whether someone prints or not. If you are CC'n and are legal, why do you care if you print or someone sees it? It is not brandishing. Unless the concern is that people will start yelling "man with a gun". Maybe that is it. If so, guess I understand, just don't see a lot of posts indicating that it happens all that often. But, am new to this, and it may be that I just do not really understand the real essence of carry.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast