Spotting people CCW? How often do you see it? What are the give-aways? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Spotting people CCW? How often do you see it? What are the give-aways?

Quote Originally Posted by a1bigtuna View Post
    I am real new to CC, but do not understand why all the concern over whether someone prints or not. If you are CC'n and are legal, why do you care if you print or someone sees it? It is not brandishing. Unless the concern is that people will start yelling "man with a gun". Maybe that is it. If so, guess I understand, just don't see a lot of posts indicating that it happens all that often. But, am new to this, and it may be that I just do not really understand the real essence of carry.
    Some of us simply don't want to freak people out, like me. I live in a location where printing is not an issue. But in some states, printing is downright illegal - your gun has to stay fully concealed at all times. While that sounds weird all I can say is most of those are pretty much anti gun states so I guess that explains that...

If you are CC'n and are legal, why do you care if you print or someone sees it?
    You loose the element of surprise.

I normally don't look for it but to me one telltale sign is something like a collared shirt and slacks (IE not blue jeans or shorts) with the shirt untucked. I have noticed the end of a holster sticking out from a shirt before but no one else did. To be honest I can't swear it was a holster but I don't know what else it could be, as it wasn't a phone case.

I am guilty of the belt hitching myself. I try to be discrete or hitch both sides so it just looks like my pants are falling down.

5. Thanks for the feedback. It is a little more clear now. I am seeing that there are some "issues" in CCW that I had no idea about. What happens in a state that has printing as illegal, does the person lose their license or get arrested? Sure seems strange if an accident reveals a print or even part of a holster, that it would create a criminal out of a lawful person, trying to work within the law.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Neverpanic1 View Post
    At 6 o'clock, small of back...easier to conceal.
    But if you're headed down the street, and you're about to pass a rough-looking bunch who are making you a little nervous...

If you're carrying "small of back", you can't place your hand on your gun (just in case), without being obvious. You've then either tipped off the group (and everyone else around) that you're reaching for your weapon, and if they turn out to be a non-threat, you've just elevated the tension level all around to perhaps a dangerous level.

This is why I think I prefer pocket-carry. I can place my hand on my weapon, and if the threat turns out to be non-existent, I haven't freaked anyone out.

With pocket-carry, no one knows you're reaching for your gun unless you pull it out.

Would love to hear responses from "small of back" folks about this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mistergus75 View Post
    But if you're headed down the street, and you're about to pass a rough-looking bunch who are making you a little nervous...

If you're carrying "small of back", you can't place your hand on your gun (just in case), without being obvious. You've then either tipped off the group (and everyone else around) that you're reaching for your weapon, and if they turn out to be a non-threat, you've just elevated the tension level all around to perhaps a dangerous level.

This is why I think I prefer pocket-carry. I can place my hand on my weapon, and if the threat turns out to be non-existent, I haven't freaked anyone out.

With pocket-carry, no one knows you're reaching for you gun unless you pull it out.

Would love to hear responses from "small of back" folks about this issue.
    I carry depending on the season and clothes. But SOB IWB Palm out is how I like to carry most. I either have a 4" 1911 or an Ultra 1911 and I will carry appendix, 6 o'clock and 4. But I think if I were walking in the direction of a crowd that looks the least bit threatening then I will first see If I can avoid it and if not then walk through like nothing is happening and being sure to keep enough distance to where if I had to pull then I would not be worrying about if they see me doing it. My Wife also prefers SOB IWB. She is small and its either there or appendix for her with her G30. But its all about what you work with and are comfortable with and practice with. just my .02
    NRA Certified Instructor
    US Army Retired
    Prior Federal Police Officer Instructor

I usually carry with a pancake at 4-5 o-clock or with an iwb strongside. It is easy to keep a low profile by wearing loose fit cargo pants, and I always dress nicer than 90% of the sheeple by always wearing a t-shirt and either an outfitters type cape back shirt un-tucked or a Hawaiian flowery shirt untucked. Either way the shirt choice is one that is designed to be un-tucked.
    Spare mags go in the cargo pockets (in the cell phone niche inside or in the mag pouch in 5.11 type pants. My tactical light goes in my left front pocket and nothing else. keys/change go in the right front pocket. I do not fidget or adjust my rig outside of the men's room handi-capable stall. I have not been made except for once about a year ago when a little old lady gently nudged me out of line at mickey d's and grabbed a big old handfull of gilligan while carrying SOB
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

9. As a completely new guy to CCW, it "appears" to me that reading about those that have carried for a while, spend time looking for tell tale signs of possible carry. It also seems that it is not all that often that happens "to those in the know, meaning how to spot or tell, see that many cases of it. Which brings me to think that it is only the ones that really are in the main stream of CCW that notice or care about others carrying. I am my late 60's and have only noticed a couple in my life in general public life that someone is packing.

That seems to me to indicate that most people not oriented into "noticing/looking" for it, most just don't. So would appear that it is not all that common for it to be spotted if one is reasonably careful. So, my thinking is now that it seems that the super special care to keep deeply concealed, must be for those hit men, spies, or anti-spies. Do the most of us really need to be of James Bond caliber?

It just seems to be part of the CCW crowd to see who hides the best. Not trying to make anyone pissed. Just in surprised how much it appears to be a matter of "I can see what you are doing". Am a novice, but do not see most people out there just looking for those carrying. Sort of like a hot car owner notices hot cars, and Prius car drivers don't notice a 427 big block Corvette. Or something like that.

Will keep reading posts from those in the main stream of CCW, but somehow do not think I will devote my time to looking over everyone walking toward me. Of course, I am not in a dangerous gig and do not carry a lot of valuables, so it is just a case of self defense for me, and I have lasted 67 years and only been shot once, but that was in the Army. And they were not carrying concealed. So I walk along well lit walkways, not looking for what trouble I can find. Maybe if I live long enough, I too will look at everyone to see if I can detect something. But, what then? I just do not know.

As a completely new guy to CCW, it "appears" to me that reading about those that have carried for a while, spend time looking for tell tale signs of possible carry. It also seems that it is not all that often that happens "to those in the know, meaning how to spot or tell, see that many cases of it. Which brings me to think that it is only the ones that really are in the main stream of CCW that notice or care about others carrying. I am my late 60's and have only noticed a couple in my life in general public life that someone is packing.

That seems to me to indicate that most people not oriented into "noticing/looking" for it, most just don't. So would appear that it is not all that common for it to be spotted if one is reasonably careful. So, my thinking is now that it seems that the super special care to keep deeply concealed, must be for those hit men, spies, or anti-spies. Do the most of us really need to be of James Bond caliber?

It just seems to be part of the CCW crowd to see who hides the best. Not trying to make anyone pissed. Just in surprised how much it appears to be a matter of "I can see what you are doing". Am a novice, but do not see most people out there just looking for those carrying. Sort of like a hot car owner notices hot cars, and Prius car drivers don't notice a 427 big block Corvette. Or something like that.

Will keep reading posts from those in the main stream of CCW, but somehow do not think I will devote my time to looking over everyone walking toward me. Of course, I am not in a dangerous gig and do not carry a lot of valuables, so it is just a case of self defense for me, and I have lasted 67 years and only been shot once, but that was in the Army. And they were not carrying concealed. So I walk along well lit walkways, not looking for what trouble I can find. Maybe if I live long enough, I too will look at everyone to see if I can detect something. But, what then? I just do not know.
    I dont think its to the point of everyone looking for it and focusing on it, I "HOPE NOT" anyway. I myself notice it and think because I carry and have carried for quit some time that I will only notice it if its in MY FACE type of situation. But I know if I identify someone who is carrying and has been made then I will watch others and how they react to the person who is showing his or her gun. But all in all I could care less who is carrying, but like I said, if its in my face or just very obvious that they are concealing then I will notice and continue on my way. I have seen every type of person who carries and I honestly have other things to do or worry about as well rather than trying to see If I can read if someone it concealed. So a specific way someone is dressed doesnt mean anything. I wear shorts and a tshirt in the summer and carry concealed everywhere I go with SOB IWB palm out or Appendix IWB and very comfortable with it. So I doubt that I would fit the criteria of someone who is carrying concealed as I look like the average sheeple or zombie. I dont like attn draw to me and avoid crowded places all together.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    US Army Retired
    Prior Federal Police Officer Instructor

After 30+ years, I am not worried about anybody carrying concealed. Generally looking for CCW is a waste of my brain energy.

The general public doesn't care, and most LEOs will never detect someone CCW.

Did you ever notice someone who LOOKS very uncomfortable in a suit? You can tell they never wear one.
    That is the type of look/attitude most new CCW people have. You can just tell there is something suspicious by the way they walk/carry themselves, etc.

As I have often said, it is 80% attitude and 20% equipment.

In an OC locale, I am concerned as to why that person is OC. His attitude and body language often tell his story. Is he a cowboy showing off daring somebody to say something, or is he just going with the flow?

Other than that, I have a better hobby to consume my time.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast