Spotting people CCW? How often do you see it? What are the give-aways? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Spotting people CCW? How often do you see it? What are the give-aways?

When I carry, I try to keep it hidden as much as possible. Makes sence to me. Don't like to be "made".... element of surprise, you know.

I really don't try to look for armed persons. I HAVE noticed a few along the way, but that was a matter of their carelessness and not of my deliberate attempt to play "gotcha".

Well, you might counter, you are NOT paying attention to "situational awareness". Oh, but, I am..... I look at the faces. It is the face (and other subtle body language) that gets the hair up on the back of my neck. Whether or not any person is armed is beside the point. (Most of the time they are going to be GGs anyway, "made" or not.) So, going into panic condition alpha just because you "spot" a gun is silly. You watch the person, look for the "intent" giveaway. It is generally there.

Besides, dis here be the South! Making eye contact is right neighbourly!

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

3. Gunny, I am much the same way. I ain't out looking for folks toting a concealed gun, I just happen to recognize what I see because I've gotten into the habit actually paying attention to what's going on around me.

I used to do most of the banking for a multi-million dollar a year business and it wasn't unusual for me to have a few 10's of thousands of dollars of somebody else's money in my control. After a decade or so of doing that, paying attention gets to be a habit.

And just because I noticed them don't mean I'm automatically panicking. Guns don't scare me. People with guns don't scare me. Folks acting stupid with guns, that scares me.

I treat it like I do when I'm walking through a parking lot. If I see a car driving slowly through the lot like they are looking for a parking spot, I sorta keep an eye on them so I know I'm staying out of their way. If they are flying around recklessly, they get my full and undivided attention until I have ascertained whether they are a threat to my well being or not.

A bill has been introduced in the Texas legislature to allow open carry - here's hoping its approved!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hamberger View Post
    In my daily outings I've become used to observing everyone and everything around me, so naturally, once I got my CHP looking for other people carrying concealed became second nature. Yes it's rather easy, even if the person in pocket carrying. But nearly everyone who I know who do not have a CHP seem to not have a clue, and isn't that the whole purpose of concealed carry?
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Those that CCW are not noticed by those who do not carry. It's very rare or you are not "concealing" your gun very well.
    Everyone here that says that they notice CCW people all the time is simply because it is on our mind and we generally know what to look for, and we do look. When I first started carrying that was the first thing I did was to try to identify others that "carried". I think it's just natural. I don't do it as often but I do look at times. A fun little game to amuse myself. We are aware that there are people that carry while anti-gunners with a bad case of hoplophobia could never bring themselves to think we are out there among them. They just couldn't cope!
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

The most obvious is "printing". I have seen people adjusting the IWB when they think nobody is looking. I have seen people go to get their wallet out & the muzzle of the weapon or the bottom of the holsters shows. When i see someone with a fanny pack that the first thing I think of, they are carring. I was once made by a 84 year old women who hugged me on the way into church.
    Bob

7. What I've taught my wife in the "who's carrying" game we play.

1. Look for clothing bulges or "printing".
    2. Look for lop-sided waistbands.
    3. Safari vest, sometimes other vests as well.
    4. Tactical trousers, especially if 1 or 2 is present.
    5. Butt packs that sag. (I know, that doesn't sound right, so moving on)
    6. Tactical packs like the Maxpedition "man-purses".
    7. The way a woman carries her purse, pay attention when they sit down to where it's placed.
    8. The person using their situationall awareness like you are when you look for signs others are carrying.
    9. Constantly making clothing adjustments.
    10. Oversized clothing to accommodate IWB carry.

Quote Originally Posted by rdscherer View Post
    The most obvious is "printing". I have seen people adjusting the IWB when they think nobody is looking. I have seen people go to get their wallet out & the muzzle of the weapon or the bottom of the holsters shows. When i see someone with a fanny pack that the first thing I think of, they are carring. I was once made by a 84 year old women who hugged me on the way into church.
    Stop pressing up against those 84 yr old ladies you perv!
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

9. In my experience, the first few times I was very self-conscious about my concealed carry. I was sure that someone had seen the bulge in my pant leg (I carry on my ankle) and would say something. The truth is, most people are oblivious to the fact that we carry. The ones who will notice are either law enforcement personnel or others who carry concealed. They don't care, or are not threatened by it. It wasn't long before you lose that self-conscious feeling. Today, I just check my pant leg when I get out of the car, and if it's in place (which it always is) I just go about my business. Even if the barrel tip was below the hem of my pants, I'm not sure anyone would recognize it for what it is. Most people simply don't have a very astute power of observation.

I wasn't going to respond to this post, but have to share what happened yesterday at The Sahara Saloon in Vegas...a small bar/diner on the corner of Sahara and Boulder Highway (behind Walgreens).

My wife and I were sitting at a small table that was right next to two elderly gentlemen having lunch. One told the other that he was going to the bathroom and asked him to "watch my case". (His "case was a small, leather portfolio that was laying on the table.) As he got up, he opened the "case" to reveal a J-Frame revolver to his buddy. Of course, our table gave me an excellent view as well.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345