CHL Ammunition - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CHL Ammunition

I have been using 135gr Federal Personal Defense Hydroshocks in 9mm for a Glock 26. Any reason you guys think I should switch to a lighter bullet?
    A man's life, liberty, and property are only safe when the legislature is NOT in session. Will Rogers

3. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Rowan View Post
    Which gun are you using the Winchesters in? I tried them in my Glock 26 and couldn't get them to expand, was told and kind of figured the shorter barrel wouldn't do what it needed to. Any thoughts?
    Go with the PDX1 124gr +P. I tested them with a 3 1/2 barrel (the same as your Glock). I have heard there are some expansion problems with the 147gr PDX1's due to the slower velocity. The 124gr have a muzzle speed of 1200 fps and expand nicely.
    If you take all the guns off the street, you still will have a crime problem.
    If you take the criminals off the street, you cannot have a gun problem.

-In .380, my choice would be 102gr. Remington Golden Saber.
    -In .40S&W I have several loads that I like,
    165gr. Golden Saber,
    155gr. Gold Dot,
    135gr. Glaser Pow'R Ball, the hollow point that isn't.
    155gr. Triton Quik-shok,
    180gr. PMC Starfire.

Gold Dot 147 gr.

6. Im new to the forum and the CC world so please bare with me ive seen alot people recommending rounds that have +P, I know FMJ and JHP just not sure what the other stuff is.

Thanks

I carry the PDX1 in my LCP. Speer 124gr JHP (Gold Dot I think) in my PM9 and some sort of Speer JHP in my .357. I believe they are called Short Barrel Magnums. I have also carried Hornaday XTP in my .380 and tried Critical Defense but had a malfunction with it ([email protected] double feed).

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Bullitt View Post
    Im new to the forum and the CC world so please bare with me ive seen alot people recommending rounds that have +P, I know FMJ and JHP just not sure what the other stuff is.

Thanks
    Don't fully understand your question but +p rounds are higher pressure than standard rounds, which results in more power. You have to be sure that the gun you are carrying them in can take the pressure. For example, the Ruger LCP is not rated for them, but the Kahr P380 is (and costs more than twice as much).

Typically +p rounds are self-defense loads and some sort of Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP). PDX and XTP are both "brand names" of sort for different self defense loads. Both are basically JHPs.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Bullitt View Post
    Im new to the forum and the CC world so please bare with me ive seen alot people recommending rounds that have +P, I know FMJ and JHP just not sure what the other stuff is.
    Technically there's no such thing as +P for .380 ACP. Standards have been defined for +P in other calibers, but not for .380. So it's effectively just a marketing term that means "hot ammo".

Winchester PDX1 in 380. After hitting a pig with one I trust it in stopping a threat without a problem. Very very good expansion and tissue damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsontiger View Post
    Technically there's no such thing as +P for .380 ACP. Standards have been defined for +P in other calibers, but not for .380. So it's effectively just a marketing term that means "hot ammo".
    Fellow Tiger fan I see!

Are you saying that there is ammo marked "+p" for the .380, but there's no standard for what constitutes +p? I can believe that.

I've never noticed any .380 ammo marked +p but have heard people refer to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast