CHL Ammunition - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CHL Ammunition

in my house gun, S&W M&P .40 there is 165 grain winchester ranger t-series and in my carry gun XD-40 subcompact i have speer gold dot 155 grain... i normally go with ranger, federal HST, PDX1, or the horandy CD.

shoot a few rounds of what your thinking of carrying and judge for yourdelf on how they shoot, recoil, and where they hit the traget... do they shott a lil to the left??? right??? or dead on??

happy shootin!

.380 user here

Over penetration is an issue at all times in the real world of concealed carry. I personally use a variety of ammo for my carry weapon. Powrball, Corbon dpx, Hornady XTP loaded in a Fiocchi round, Remington Golden Saber, Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1, Federal Hydrashok. At the bottom of the mag I keep a plain FMJ in case I need the best penetration possible. I've tested my plain jane Sellier&Bellot FMJ through an old car door and a full set of deer ribs, through and through. Different shells yield different results in various weather conditions and I swap out according to the season, but a FMJ does stay at the bottom at all times.

@tpd223 You must be shooting at really really big people from far far away if you don't think a .380 can propell a FMJ through and through easily. Overpenetration is an issue with any firearm at the ranges encountered in most typical concealed carry holder scenarios.

Decided to settle on Hornady Critical Defense ammo, liked the fact that it has that little plastic ball filling up the hollow point cavity. Not that I had much problems with ammo feeding my XDs are actually completely carefree in that regard. They are like a hungry teenager, they will eat just bout anything.

remington golden saber in my ruger 9mm. Have any of you seen the episode of Myth Busters when they tested the "water myth" about being shot at and going under water? Catch it if you can, very interesting.

6. Quote Originally Posted by ID9mm View Post
    Go with the PDX1 124gr +P. I tested them with a 3 1/2 barrel (the same as your Glock). I have heard there are some expansion problems with the 147gr PDX1's due to the slower velocity. The 124gr have a muzzle speed of 1200 fps and expand nicely.
    Someone told me they were designed for service pistols, so being 4 or 5 inch. I tried several times to get them to expand and it just didn't happen. So, I threw 100 of them down range at some targets :)

been carrying BVAC's for awhile, they really mushroomed out during our last tests

7. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Rowan View Post
    Someone told me they were designed for service pistols, so being 4 or 5 inch. I tried several times to get them to expand and it just didn't happen. So, I threw 100 of them down range at some targets :)

been carrying BVAC's for awhile, they really mushroomed out during our last tests
    I shoot mine out of a 3 1/2 inch barrel and they expanded flawlessly. Was you shooting the 124gr or the 147gr. The 124gr are known to expand better than the 147gr (from reports that I have read, but I have not shot the 147's). You may have gotten a hold of a bad batch. I would've sent them back to Winchester.
    If you take all the guns off the street, you still will have a crime problem.
    If you take the criminals off the street, you cannot have a gun problem.

.380- COR BON 90gr JHP
    9mm- DPX +P 115gr
    .357- Hornady Critical Defense 125gr FTX

-178S

I also carry the Winchester PDX only in .45 cal.

Ruger SP 101, 2 1/4" barrel, .357 magnum - Speer God Dot 125gr JHP
    Kimber SS Ultra Raptor .45 ACP - Corbon 230gr FMJ or Federal Hydroshock 230gr JHP
    SI VIS PACEM, PARABELLUM
    "If you seek peace, prepare for war"

11. Quote Originally Posted by ID9mm View Post
    I shoot mine out of a 3 1/2 inch barrel and they expanded flawlessly. Was you shooting the 124gr or the 147gr. The 124gr are known to expand better than the 147gr (from reports that I have read, but I have not shot the 147's). You may have gotten a hold of a bad batch. I would've sent them back to Winchester.
    At this point I don't remember for sure, but I do think they were 147g. Maybe that was the issue. I had read though that there have been issues with those rounds on shorter barrels, so honestly, I just chalked it up to that. I'll have to get some 124 and do some more testing when we head out with water jugs :) Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123