CHL Ammunition
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CHL Ammunition

CHL Ammunition

Just got a box of Winchester PDX1 ammo for my .380. What ammo do you pack in your concealed handgun.

Hornady XTP in 9x18 and Speer Gold Dot in 9x19
    Michigan Open Carry Inc. Southwest Regional Coordinator.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

4. Depends on the gun. I use the load that works best in each pistol (meaning the most accurate with 100% reliability). I have or currently use ammo from Federal, Corbon, Winchester, Remington, Hornaday, and Speer. In my primary carry pieces I use Corbon (.45ACP), Winchester (.32ACP), Hornaday (.32ACP) and Federal (.44 Special and .45ACP).

5. I use Winchester 124gr PDX1's in my 9mm. I tested them against the Federal Hydroshok 135gr. The PDX1's penetrated 3 water jugs and cut the wall of the 4th (the mushroom is pretty awesome on these). The Hydroshoks penetrated 3 water jugs but did not even dent the 4th. The hydroshoks have just a little bit larger mushroom but the PDX1's had a better penetration. I like the PDX1's.
    If you take all the guns off the street, you still will have a crime problem.
    If you take the criminals off the street, you cannot have a gun problem.

6. Hydrashoks here

Id9mm: IMHO over-penetration is a bigger concern than under-penetration if you ever have to shoot in public. At least for me, that's the only time I'd be using my .380.

7. Which gun are you using the Winchesters in? I tried them in my Glock 26 and couldn't get them to expand, was told and kind of figured the shorter barrel wouldn't do what it needed to. Any thoughts?

8. and for the 380 I have been using Hornady CD and Speer Gold Dot. We did some testing in modeling clay and water shots, both expanded greatly. The CD did a number on the clay the first time, wow, almost blew a 12" block away. I have no doubt the 380 can do what I need when I can't carry my G26. I did have a CD NOT expand using water jugs and denim. 1 out of 7 or 8. Every Gold Dot expanded nicely. Not sure what happened with the 1.

I carry a russian makarov

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsontiger View Post
    Hydrashoks here

Id9mm: IMHO over-penetration is a bigger concern than under-penetration if you ever have to shoot in public. At least for me, that's the only time I'd be using my .380.
    Even with ball ammo the odds of an overpenetration from a .380 are remote.

I carry 9mms and .38s, all my serious handguns are Glock 9mms and S&W J frame .38s

We issue the 124gr +P Gold Dot at work so I carry that in most of my Glocks, but I also have a bunch of 124gr +P Ranger-T that works well and is very accurate in my guns.
    I also like the 147gr Ranger-T and HST loads.

In .38 the best available loads are the 135gr Gold Dot and the Cor Bon DPX, I have some of each and load those into different guns just because J frames often shot to a different POA=POI depending on the load.

I also liek the varioes +P LSWCHP loads from the "big three" and the wadcutter as loaded by Buffalo Bore.

In .380 I would go with the Giold Dot, the Hornady FTX and the PDX1, but I would carry .380 FMJ ammo if my gun didn't feed JHPs.

hornady 124 gr xtp's 9mm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast