Why Do You Carry Concealed? - Page 101
Page 101 of 139 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1390

Thread: Why Do You Carry Concealed?

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Komondor View Post
    I was wondering where the studies regarding the ratio of concealed carriers vs open carriers defending themselves comes from? I have studied some of John Lott's work and haven't seen such there. Is there somewhere else I can find this info? Thanks for your help.
    Well, there is this:

    http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-fa...6-2-screen.pdf

    Printed page 29:
    60% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they knew the victim was armed. 40% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they thought the victim might be armed
    While there may not be an actual study compiling the facts, as Firefighterchen stated, when you do read/see/hear stories where people defend themselves with a firearm there is a 99% chance that the firearm was hidden from the criminal before the defensive action was taken. Conservative estimates put the number of defensive uses of a firearm in the thousands per year. That is at least 3 per day across the country (and probably many times higher than that), and yet there are only 4 or 5 cases that the concealed carry only crowd can point to of a law abiding open carrying citizen that is not a police officer or security guard being the victim of a crime and those cases are spread out over a decade or more.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  2.   
  3. I suspose you could look at the want or need to conceal carry any you personally choose to. I just think if you are going to carry, conceal carying is the best option. At first I only carried when I went out after dark, or to some place I wasn't familiar with. On the news I started seeing people finding themselves in dangerous situations that during daylight hours, totally unexpected. Now I conceal carry at all times. This way I know I will be able to defend myself if a dangerous situation sneaks up on me. I also make sure that I go to the range where I can practice drawing and fireing from a conceal carry. It keeps me confident that I and ready and fully prepared to draw from a conceal carry position and can hit what I aim at in a reasonable amount of time, both in daylight and during darkness. I practice drawing and firing at a target after dark and I make sure that my laser site is right on target.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Bluwizard1 View Post
    I just think if you are going to carry, conceal carying is the best option.
    How can you possibly even begin to guess what is the best option for me?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  5. #1004
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluwizard1 View Post
    I suspose you could look at the want or need to conceal carry any you personally choose to. I just think if you are going to carry, conceal carying is the best option. At first I only carried when I went out after dark, or to some place I wasn't familiar with. On the news I started seeing people finding themselves in dangerous situations that during daylight hours, totally unexpected. Now I conceal carry at all times. This way I know I will be able to defend myself if a dangerous situation sneaks up on me. I also make sure that I go to the range where I can practice drawing and fireing from a conceal carry. It keeps me confident that I and ready and fully prepared to draw from a conceal carry position and can hit what I aim at in a reasonable amount of time, both in daylight and during darkness. I practice drawing and firing at a target after dark and I make sure that my laser site is right on target.
    Same question as Navy asked above, but I'd also like to ask you if you have the legal choice to open carry in the state where you live?
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  6. #1005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluwizard1 View Post
    I suspose you could look at the want or need to conceal carry any you personally choose to. I just think if you are going to carry, conceal carying is the best option. At first I only carried when I went out after dark, or to some place I wasn't familiar with. On the news I started seeing people finding themselves in dangerous situations that during daylight hours, totally unexpected. Now I conceal carry at all times. This way I know I will be able to defend myself if a dangerous situation sneaks up on me. I also make sure that I go to the range where I can practice drawing and fireing from a conceal carry. It keeps me confident that I and ready and fully prepared to draw from a conceal carry position and can hit what I aim at in a reasonable amount of time, both in daylight and during darkness. I practice drawing and firing at a target after dark and I make sure that my laser site is right on target.
    If one hasn't made up their mind on how to carry their weapon, maybe they shouldn't carry at all. Choose your style, get comfortable with it and let others do the same. Make your own statistics chart.

  7. #1006
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Well, there is this:

    http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-fa...6-2-screen.pdf

    Printed page 29:


    While there may not be an actual study compiling the facts, as Firefighterchen stated, when you do read/see/hear stories where people defend themselves with a firearm there is a 99% chance that the firearm was hidden from the criminal before the defensive action was taken. Conservative estimates put the number of defensive uses of a firearm in the thousands per year. That is at least 3 per day across the country (and probably many times higher than that), and yet there are only 4 or 5 cases that the concealed carry only crowd can point to of a law abiding open carrying citizen that is not a police officer or security guard being the victim of a crime and those cases are spread out over a decade or more.
    Thanks NavyLCDR, very good link. Much of the info on the link I know some I did not. I've been casually studying self defense since the early 70's and just never saw a comparison of CCW vs OC and actual attacks. So much info is anecdotal and therefore of limited use. One bit of info that complicates a comparison is that, I think, there are vastly more people that CCW compared to OC. Thanks again for the factual non-snarky answer.

  8. #1007
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    THE ARMED CITIZEN | News and Resources for The Armed Citizen since 2001

    Guns Save Lives - Stories of Self Defense

    How many times have you heard of an open carrier defending himself? How many times have you heard of a concealed carrier defending themselves? Are you able to add 2 + 2?

    Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    Thanks for the links. They are informative and I will bookmark them. Yes Firefighterchen, I can add 2+2 and find that there are many more people who CCW as compared to OC and thus more CCW's would be attacked than OC simply because there are more of them. Anecdotal and news reports are valuable, however, I find usually the mode of carry is not clear. Again, thanks for the links.

  9. #1008
    Quote Originally Posted by DLeeHarley View Post
    I believe Komondor is only trying to check out the real facts not disputing anything.

    Dennis in Idaho

    "You'll always remember the Ride! The destination is great, don't get me wrong, but you'll ALWAYS Remember the Ride!"
    Thanks, you are correct, I WAS looking to find the actual answer not start a fight. I realize such things are very difficult to study and perhaps haven't been studied. It could be this subject is right up there with what's better, 9mm, .45acp, or .40S&W?

  10. #1009
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Komondor View Post
    Thanks for the links. They are informative and I will bookmark them. Yes Firefighterchen, I can add 2+2 and find that there are many more people who CCW as compared to OC and thus more CCW's would be attacked than OC simply because there are more of them. Anecdotal and news reports are valuable, however, I find usually the mode of carry is not clear. Again, thanks for the links.
    I agree there are a lot more concealed carriers...but that's why I went with ratios to account for the difference.

    Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Komondor View Post
    One bit of info that complicates a comparison is that, I think, there are vastly more people that CCW compared to OC. Thanks again for the factual non-snarky answer.
    There is another huge problem with attempting to measure the effectiveness of open carry v. concealed carry. If a person is attacked and draws their concealed firearm to defend themselves, you can measure the number of times that happens. How are you going to measure the number of times that a criminal sees a gun and decides not to attack that particular person carrying it?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast