Why Do You Carry Concealed? - Page 122
Page 122 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1390

Thread: Why Do You Carry Concealed?

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    Here's an article/question I posted.

So let's here, why do you carry concealed?
    I carry "just in case". I carry concealed only to avoid social drama.

3. I carry to protect myself and my family.

I carry a weapon for the defense of my wife and myself. I am old and hardly get out anymore because of my disabilities so I have to be careful how, and when, I carry. I carry concealed when I happen to be out and a lot of people are around. I use a cane on my strong side and feel that a .45 on my hip could be a tempting target for someone wanting to rob a doddering old man. Consequently, I will carry concealed on such occasions and will try to surprise anyone wanting to do us harm. Carrying concealed does not make me less of a man, only smart enough to not advertise. When I am out somewhere, away from people, I will carry openly and do not worry about how anyone else carries. How one carries is an individual choice and should be done in a manner in which you are comfortable. When you are young and full of pee and vinegar you look at things differently than you will when older. And, trust me, you WILL be old before you know it!
    Why Do You Carry Concealed?-old-man.jpg

Because a cop is too heavy!
    "Those who would trade liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security."
    "The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson".

6. Personal Safety

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    Here's an article/question I posted.

So let's here, why do you carry concealed?
    I have seen to many incidents to not carry. I conceal carry because I don't want to advertise the fact that I am carrying. This is a safety fact because if bad guys know you are carrying they will attack first, without giving any warning but if they don't know they may try to start by bulling and attempting to intimidate. If they don't simply attack then I have more if a chance to get my weapon out to defend myself. I stand by my right to protect the life of myself and my family or even a stranger who's life is being threatened. I believe that anyone that can CC and don't is just leaving themselves open to attack.

bluwizard1
    Husband, Father and believer in my 2nd amendment rights

Quote Originally Posted by Bluwizard1 View Post
    I have seen to many incidents to not carry. I conceal carry because I don't want to advertise the fact that I am carrying. This is a safety fact because if bad guys know you are carrying they will attack first, without giving any warning but if they don't know they may try to start by bulling and attempting to intimidate. If they don't simply attack then I have more if a chance to get my weapon out to defend myself. I stand by my right to protect the life of myself and my family or even a stranger who's life is being threatened. I believe that anyone that can CC and don't is just leaving themselves open to attack.

bluwizard1
    Based on what? Please...do tell how many open carriers have been attacked without warning. How many examples would you like of concealed carriers being attacked without warning? You assume a lot, about people you know nothing about, the epitome of ignorance in self defense.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

8. Quote Originally Posted by Bluwizard1 View Post
    This is a safety fact because if bad guys know you are carrying they will attack first, without giving any warning but if they don't know they may try to start by bulling and attempting to intimidate. If they don't simply attack then I have more if a chance to get my weapon out to defend myself.
    There is no fact in your claim. It is an urban myth that has no basis in reality. As FFChen asked...fact based on what? You'll be able to provide us with examples of Joe Citizen getting attacked first for his gun who isn't also wearing a uniform and badge to go with it (more than once every few years)? We'll wait. We've been waiting for years for the examples. The majority of criminals themselves in interviews have said that they won't attack a person that they know is armed - of course some concealed carry only snobs have claimed that they are just lying because criminals really love to attack armed people and they lie to get more people to carry openly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluwizard1 View Post
    I believe that anyone that can CC and don't is just leaving themselves open to attack.

bluwizard1
    Here's a little secret....the concealed firearm also leaves you open to attack because there is nothing for the criminal to see to allow them to make the decision to just leave you alone. The person with the hidden gun is just as open to attack as the person with no gun. You just increase your chances of surviving the attack. And that is just fine, there's nothing wrong with carrying concealed for the ability to defend yourself - but to think that you are not open to attack because you are carrying something that you are hiding from the criminal is not all that wise and people should understand that some of the reasons why they might choose to conceal the firearm have no basis in reality.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Errrr, I do believe a few months ago. A man was attacked going into WalMart by a concerned citizen for carry concealed. NOT OC. The concerned good Samaritan (supposedly) caught a glimpse of this law abiding citizens weapon and thought he'd save the day. He actually was charged with assault. So much for CC'ing.......
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

10. Here are a few reasons why I (would if I didn't live in San Francisco) carry:

1. Not long after I got back from 2 tours of duty in Vietnam, in the 1970s when beating up or even killing gays was considered acceptable by many, LE included, I had a group of 7 or 8 thugs show up at my door all armed with baseball bats. They said that they were there to show me "What we do to fags around here". I simply reached behind the door and grabbed the shotgun which I kept there. When I racked a shell they all decided that they had someplace else to be. I never had a bit of trouble again all the time I lived in that house.

2. In the aftermath of the big earthquake here in San Francisco in 1989 the city was without power for 3 days and nights. I patrolled the building where I worked and its parking lot all three dark nights. On the second night a group of folks showed up trying to kick in the door of the neighboring business across the alley. Those folks had good hearing too. They recognized that racking sound of my shotgun from 20 feet away across the alley and they all decided that they had someplace else to be too.

BTW: as uptight as this town is about guns, our place is on one of the main streets and a lot of cops driving by saw me wandering around with that shotgun, and the only response I got from any of them were a few nods of acknowledgement.

3. I was sitting at my computer about a year ago when I realized that someone had gained access to the neighbor's roof and was coming through my landing window on the staircase going to my upper level. He spotted me just about the same time I became aware of him. The first words out of his mouth were "I f--ked up, man. All I want to do now is get out of here." As he was talking I was thinking - Here's a 20 year old kid, 50 years younger than I am, in good shape, compared me with my barely functioning COPD riddled lungs, and I am stuck alone in a large commercial building (I have the caretaker's apartment) with him. It didn't take me much reflection to decide that I kinda liked his idea. I showed him out, which involved a long walk down hallways the length of the building and aiming him at the emergency staircase. It was nerve racking for both of us, he balked about halfway out, thinking I was leading him into a trap, but I calmed him down and he left. I barely had time to recover from that incident when just a few weeks later it happened again. This time it was two guys, carrying guitars no less, who showed up at that upper window. They were polite, and stoned out of their heads. I didn't think there was any LSD still around these days, but I am guessing that is what they were on. Those guys were very non-threatening and were much easier to show out of the building, but I know that not all my "visitors" are going to be so easy to deal with. Someone suggested that I get bars for that window. My response to that is "Why should the good guys live behind bars? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?"

4. A few weeks ago the local San Francisco TV stations were showing footage of what started out as a burglary here in the Bay Area. Two high school age gang members broke into a house that happened to have a very nice security camera system operating. The footage showed the kids come in the kitchen door. The first thing they did was to stop and arm themselves with butcher knives. They then started to search the house for valuables. Within a few minutes though they heard the occupants, who were hiding from them upstairs in one of the bedrooms. The robbers looked startled and started to exit the house, but then they had second thoughts and still armed with the butcher knives they headed upstairs to where the occupants were and with a couple of minutes kicking brought down the door of that bedroom. The occupants had moved into the bathroom and the gang members were kicking that door down too until they realized the residents were on the phone with the police. It was at that point that they finally ran away. I can think of no better demonstration of the need for effective home protection. Good clear video of a murder taking place will be small comfort to our families...

Needless to say I now have a 12 gauge within easy reach when I am upstairs in the living room or bedroom and my Glock 17 is within inches of my right hand whenever I am at my computer - the spot where I was sitting both times I had intruders show up at my window. The 10 day waiting period will be over tomorrow afternoon and as soon as it is I will be picking up my S&W M&P Shield 9MM. While I might be turning 69 years old this year, and I might not be in the best of physical condition, I just don't do victim. Never have. Never will.
    Last edited by paulinsf; 07-01-2015 at 11:37 PM. Reason: For clarity and to correct typos.

11. Welcome to the fray!

Thanks for sharing your story.
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.