Why Do You Carry Concealed? - Page 27
Page 27 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Carry Concealed?

I do believe I have answered this question on this forum before, but here it is again. I am to old to fight, and to fat to run. Could substitute fat for dumb, or stubborn, or muleheaded.

3. For protection of me and my wife and daughter i dont live in the best part of town.and i dont want one of us to be killed because some druggy wants to try and rob us to get thier next fix and freak out and kill one of us

Because I learned first-hand at a young age that bad things can happen when and where you least expect it. I was victimized then, I refuse to be again, especially with a daughter of my own.

'nuther reason for concealed carry

Another reason for my decision to obtain a permit and carry concealed has nothing to do with human threats but animal intimidation. Here in Pueblo, CO so many people, stupidly in my opinion, own pit bull dogs and exercise very little control over them. Several people, including, unfortunately, several small children have been mauled by these creatures just in recent weeks. The response by the owners is invariably, "He, or she, has never bitten anyone before." Nonetheless, the attacks keep coming. My son and his wife were taking a walk the last time they visited and a pit bull, dragging a piece of thin rope which it had chewed through, charged them as they strolled down a sidewalk near my home. My son had no means of defending them other than his bare hands so he placed himself between the dog and his wife and prepared to be attacked. Fortunately the dog's owner came out of the house and managed to get the dog's attention and grab the rope and get him under control. My son has a CC permit, so the next time they wanted to go for a walk I gave him my sidearm and told him not to hesitate to use it. This problem is epidemic in this area, so it is one more reason to carry. I have written my state legislature senators and representatives and urged them to make pit bull ownership illegal in Colorado. I have received no reply at this writing.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSix:276069
    Another reason for my decision to obtain a permit and carry concealed has nothing to do with human threats but animal intimidation. Here in Pueblo, CO so many people, stupidly in my opinion, own pit bull dogs and exercise very little control over them. Several people, including, unfortunately, several small children have been mauled by these creatures just in recent weeks. The response by the owners is invariably, "He, or she, has never bitten anyone before." Nonetheless, the attacks keep coming. My son and his wife were taking a walk the last time they visited and a pit bull, dragging a piece of thin rope which it had chewed through, charged them as they strolled down a sidewalk near my home. My son had no means of defending them other than his bare hands so he placed himself between the dog and his wife and prepared to be attacked. Fortunately the dog's owner came out of the house and managed to get the dog's attention and grab the rope and get him under control. My son has a CC permit, so the next time they wanted to go for a walk I gave him my sidearm and told him not to hesitate to use it. This problem is epidemic in this area, so it is one more reason to carry. I have written my state legislature senators and representatives and urged them to make pit bull ownership illegal in Colorado. I have received no reply at this writing.
    I have nothing against using a firearm to defend against an animal. But there is a huge issue with people claiming pit bull when in fact they are not. If you studied anything in animal attacks, you will find out pit bulls are not a breed of concern beyond many other breeds, such as the German shepherds, huskies, malamutes. You still also find out the amount of fatal dog bites are so insignificant they should not be used as factors for breed control. Lastly you will find the majority of people do not know what the breed, their characteristics, or their history is, only what they are fed by the media which is biased (who is also biased against gun owners).

I don't know the demographics of your area, but its been proven over and over that the "pit bull that attacked" was in fact not a pit bull at all. Are you 100% certain it was a pit bull? Have you done any blood work to verify the breed?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

When small children have their faces so disfigured that they face a lifetime of plastic surgery to repair some of the damage, or when they are blinded, and when the official police reports specify that the attacking animal was a pit bull, that is good enough for me. I don't have the means or the desire to do 'bloodwork'. Attacks by other breeds of dogs are virtually nonexistant, but the pit bull attacks keep on happening. It's some sort of craze or fad in this area to be a macho bad ass and own a pit bull and the end results are often very unpleasant especially for the victims who are usually small children; however, many adults have been attacked as well, but adults can better defend themselves and suffer less crippling damage.

Why Do You Carry Concealed?-253962_152291841509032_120540844684132_341924_1317111_n.jpg

You mean kind of like this child? Except this was a Labrador attack.

So let me get this straight.

1. You won't do research on the animal (ignorance is bliss.)

2. You will take the officers report without question. (when almost all the reports that have been investigated by the NCRC have found the animal to not be a pitbull or a pitbull "mix")

3. You claim other breeds attacks are non existent. (Where are you getting your stories? The media? First hand experience? Personally reading all the police reports? FYI, the CDC Report on pitbulls claimed other breeds have higher attack rates than the pitbull. They also recognize the Pinckney and Kennedy study that also claims pitbulls are not the leading cause of human injuries when it comes to dog attacks. All the reports stated that pitbull attacks make up such an insignificant portion of attacks that it should not be used as a factor in breed control.)

I doubt you will...but why don't you do some research on this American icon? You can start here:

National Canine Research Council

(more specifically http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...%20FINAL_1.pdf)

The Truth About Pitbulls

Truth about Pit Bull Terriers, Training Help, Pictures, Resources | PitBulls

The Most Complete Website for Pit Bull Owners on the Web

Pit Bull Myths

By your reasoning and effort...because the media says guns are bad, and kill people, and police report guns are used, guns should be banned. I won't do research on it, I will just take the police and media's words for it, Bad guns! Poor children and misguided owners are not at fault, they are just misunderstood and confused, its the guns that are the problem. (Except did you know, that the American Temperament Test Society, Inc. | A sound mind in a sound body studies the temperaments of different breeds and the pitbull passes with 86%, beating the majority of other breeds? Including retrievers, collies, shephards, bulldogs, hounds).

It's amazing someone can love guns and hate a breed, when there are more negligent deaths from firearms than all dog related deaths combined.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

9. Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    Here's an article/question I posted.

So let's here, why do you carry concealed?
    I carry concealed when I can't carry openly, like in malls, hospitals, and bars.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSix View Post
    When small children have their faces so disfigured that they face a lifetime of plastic surgery to repair some of the damage, or when they are blinded, and when the official police reports specify that the attacking animal was a pit bull, that is good enough for me. I don't have the means or the desire to do 'bloodwork'. Attacks by other breeds of dogs are virtually nonexistant, but the pit bull attacks keep on happening. It's some sort of craze or fad in this area to be a macho bad ass and own a pit bull and the end results are often very unpleasant especially for the victims who are usually small children; however, many adults have been attacked as well, but adults can better defend themselves and suffer less crippling damage.
    I carry because I think I need to.

We have gotten off the topic slightly. But, I had to reply anyway. Carrying concealed (or open) to protect yourself, family, or friends from animal attacks is a good reason. The damage done to a small child is very disturbing, and should never happen. You should have stopped there. I am sorry, but most of what you said after that is BS. "when the official police reports specify that the attacking animal was a pit bull, that is good enough for me." It could have been a looks like a Pit Bull. Pit Bulls (any large dog) can do some serious damage. I have 2 Dobermans for that reason, I want dogs that have bites worse than their bark. I do not allow my dogs to roam freely, I care too much for them to allow that. There is no proof to back your claim. Dog attacks are in proportion to breed popularity (labradors are very popular). The real problem is the dog owner, the dog is just what the owner allowed it to be. I hope you are not suggesting we ban Pit Bulls, because that will not solve the problem, anymore than banning guns will get rid of gun injuries or death.
    Even though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no Evil, for YOU are with me; Remington 44 Mag:

I stated carrying because of my job. Everyday i have to carry large amounts of Cash $$ at the end of the day to the bank. Now i carry at all times, it has become second nature. get up, get ready, put on my firearm, and go.