Why Do You Carry Concealed? - Page 28
Page 28 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Carry Concealed?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Bristol View Post
    I carry because I think I need to.

We have gotten off the topic slightly. But, I had to reply anyway. Carrying concealed (or open) to protect yourself, family, or friends from animal attacks is a good reason. The damage done to a small child is very disturbing, and should never happen. You should have stopped there. I am sorry, but most of what you said after that is BS. "when the official police reports specify that the attacking animal was a pit bull, that is good enough for me." It could have been a looks like a Pit Bull. Pit Bulls (any large dog) can do some serious damage. I have 2 Dobermans for that reason, I want dogs that have bites worse than their bark. I do not allow my dogs to roam freely, I care too much for them to allow that. There is no proof to back your claim. Dog attacks are in proportion to breed popularity (labradors are very popular). The real problem is the dog owner, the dog is just what the owner allowed it to be. I hope you are not suggesting we ban Pit Bulls, because that will not solve the problem, anymore than banning guns will get rid of gun injuries or death.
    Oh, I thought the OP just wanted to know why people chose concealed carry over open carry.

I started carrying on the advice of a state trooper, after having to fight off three attackers in a parking lot with a knife. Without getting into too much detail, I'll just say that I was the victim of a road rage-induced, racially motived assault. I managed to use the knife I had to good effect, and gave better than I got. Everyone involved was charged with multiple felony offenses, but due to the testimony of witnesses, and the state trooper who was the first responder to the call, all charges against me were dismissed. Two of the three attackers served over a year in prison, while one got did a few months. After my hearing, the trooper approached me to congratulate me, and I thanked him profusely. He suggested to me to buy a gun, apply for a license to carry it, and learn to use it. Had I been armed with a gun instead of a knife, the situation I found myself in might have never happened. I took his advice; that was nearly 10 years ago.

I am 66 years old, never been robbed, never been assaulted, never had reason to use or even display my weapon. And I don't expect to ever encounter the need to use my weapon. But I read in the news daily of others who likely thought the same thing and are now victims to such abuse. Therefore, I received my permit to carry concealed and I train often. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have. My family and I are worth it.

Personal protection, because you never know what might happen in any given situation and all of the sudden your life is on the line. I'll most likely not have to use it, but I know that it's there just in case, which is somewhat reassuring.

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    Here's an article/question I posted.

So let's here, why do you carry concealed?
    Of all places to get asked this question - New Orleans! Why? ....... Why? Duh! I definitely wouldn't be answering this question, right now, if I did NOT carry concealed. (Where are we supposed to be, anyway - Disneyland?)

PS: I've owned and trained honest-to-goodness Pit Bulldogs for more than 40 years - Long before the God-damned organized news media discovered the breed back in 1987. A Pit Bulldog once saved my life! Consequently, I get really pissed off whenever some witless gullible TV watcher takes it upon himself to foolishly disparage the breed. If I've seen members of the general public misidentify Pit Bulldogs once, I've seen it a hundred times. 'Pit Bull' has become the popular generic term for any large canine that ever bites anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Arc Angel:278131
    Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    Here's an article/question I posted.

So let's here, why do you carry concealed?
    Of all places to get asked this question - New Orleans! Why? ....... Why? Duh! I definitely wouldn't be answering this question, right now, if I did NOT carry concealed. (Where are we supposed to be, anyway - Disneyland?)

PS: I've owned and trained honest-to-goodness Pit Bulldogs for more than 40 years - Long before the God-damned organized news media discovered the breed back in 1987. A Pit Bulldog once saved my life! Consequently, I get really pissed off whenever some witless gullible TV watcher takes it upon himself to foolishly disparage the breed. If I've seen members of the general public misidentify Pit Bulldogs once, I've seen it a hundred times. 'Pit Bull' has become the popular generic term for any large canine that ever bites anyone.
    +1 million and 15 characters.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

I carry because police are only there in enough time to file the report or draw the line around the body

Luv2journey

I specifically carry because of the field of work I'm in (not law enforcement of any kind). I'm also a small built female. Due to these two factors I would NOT ever consider not carrying my weapon and I don't just carry when I work, I carry everywhere I go fromthe Pet store to a nice restaurant and I highly recommend that more women carry!

Ha! I certainly agree with you Ocala. I think a lot of law enforcement officers have a lot of unimportant calls that cause them not to be able to get to the important calls quickly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by LUV2JOURNEY View Post
    I specifically carry because of the field of work I'm in (not law enforcement of any kind). I'm also a small built female. Due to these two factors I would NOT ever consider not carrying my weapon and I don't just carry when I work, I carry everywhere I go from the Pet store to a nice restaurant and I highly recommend that more women carry!
    Can you tell me something about women's carry? Do you all carry in your purse? The reason I ask is that I recently watched a TV program (I think it was Michael Bane on 'Shooting Gallery') that advised strongly against it. He noted that "in the case of a mugging, grab-and-run, or robbery, the FIRST thing that will be grabbed is the woman's purse." (I've paraphrased) "Then, not only will the bad guy have your purse, he'll have your gun." I have a female friend (slightly built at 5' 9" tall and weighing no more than 110 pounds) who carries a .357 Magnum with a 4" barrel revolver in an ankle holster, but she's the only lady I know who wears it like that. She recently bought a shoulder holster, but I haven't heard her talk much about it. It must be difficult to find a place to hide a gun when you look at women's fashions. I'm glad I can just un-tuck my shirt or throw-on a jacket.
    NRA Life Member, US Army Veteran - 95 Bravo
    "A recent police study found that you're much more likely to get shot by a fat cop if you run." - Dennis Miller

Protection

I carry to protect my family! The world is getting crazier by the minute! All good people should carry and make the criminals pay!!