Why Do You Carry Concealed? - Page 29
Page 29 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Carry Concealed?

To Be prepared...for god forbid that I have to defend myself again.

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    Here's an article/question I posted.

So let's here, why do you carry concealed?
    Because of career choices 37 years ago I ended up in three armed robberies and a citizen defensive shooting.

I will never not be prepared to defend myself of my loved ones. The bad guys only see us as an impediment to something they want, and I will be the largest impediment that they will ever encounter.

Check out my firms philosophy at : Personal Protection, Colorado, Utah and Wyoming CCW Training from Tall Guns LLC Loveland, Colorado

I carry because they do. I don't want to take the life of another human being, but I don't want another human being to take mine.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSix View Post
    When small children have their faces so disfigured that they face a lifetime of plastic surgery to repair some of the damage, or when they are blinded, and when the official police reports specify that the attacking animal was a pit bull, that is good enough for me. I don't have the means or the desire to do 'bloodwork'. Attacks by other breeds of dogs are virtually nonexistant, but the pit bull attacks keep on happening. It's some sort of craze or fad in this area to be a macho bad ass and own a pit bull and the end results are often very unpleasant especially for the victims who are usually small children; however, many adults have been attacked as well, but adults can better defend themselves and suffer less crippling damage.
    Wow! A classic example of someone who watches too much television. Dog bite statistics vary from year-to-year, even from decade-to-decade. In years past various dog breeds have been at the top of the list: Cocker Spaniels, Chihuahuas, and Saint Bernards among them.

If it weren't for two obvious reasons I'd address your remarks in more detail: First, I'm keenly aware of the fact that you have a perfectly closed (Rosie O'Donnell) sort of mind; and, second, Firefighterchen has already made the longer reply I had in mind.

I'll only add this: Experience (not television) has taught me that, a vast majority of the time, it's the dog owner, himself, who is most to blame for an attack. I've kept these animals for more than 40 years. In all this time none of my Pit Bulldogs has ever attacked anyone I didn't want him to.

(The two that did attack did so in the middle of an early Sunday morning home invasion and, probably, saved my life! I was caught in my underwear, unarmed, and on crutches. If it hadn't been for the Pit Bulldogs that enormous filthy dirty freak would have had me!)

That's the God's honest truth, too! No internet hooey.

Classic response

Oh, well. Whatever.

I have been carrying a weapon for over 38 yrs, In the military SP and out of the military as a guard and for my protection as well as my family’s safety. I carry now because its my right and duty to everyone I’m around………………………

A Little Long, but perfect for this thread

"The Gun Is Civilization" by Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories,
    without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion.
    Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunken guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force, watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)

'The Gun Is Civilization' - Wow!

Those are some of the most worthwhile (secular) remarks I have ever read. Really outstanding! Major Caudill, obviously, has a useful and extraordinarily insightful mind.

Why? Easy answer. I am 62 years old and have spent most of my waking moments in condition white with my head firmly planted in my nether region. My philosophy being "nothing will ever happen to me". I have grand kids over all of the time now and during his time I am responsible for those precious lives. Nothing happens on Grand Dad's watch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MilShooter View Post
    Can you tell me something about women's carry? Do you all carry in your purse? The reason I ask is that I recently watched a TV program (I think it was Michael Bane on 'Shooting Gallery') that advised strongly against it. He noted that "in the case of a mugging, grab-and-run, or robbery, the FIRST thing that will be grabbed is the woman's purse." (I've paraphrased) "Then, not only will the bad guy have your purse, he'll have your gun." I have a female friend (slightly built at 5' 9" tall and weighing no more than 110 pounds) who carries a .357 Magnum with a 4" barrel revolver in an ankle holster, but she's the only lady I know who wears it like that. She recently bought a shoulder holster, but I haven't heard her talk much about it. It must be difficult to find a place to hide a gun when you look at women's fashions. I'm glad I can just un-tuck my shirt or throw-on a jacket.
    Easy, I carry IWB 95% of the time. Of the rest it's usually my shoulder holster. The only time I purse carry is if I'm driving to my boyfriend's house and not stopping anywhere on the way.

Wouldn't leave the house without my keys/wallet and backup.