Why Do You Carry Concealed? - Page 32
Page 32 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Carry Concealed?

Quote Originally Posted by Irisher2 View Post
    To protect me and my wife in the ordinary world, which becomes more dangerous every day.
    Have carried for over 50 years after USA discharge and will continue as long as I'm mobile out in society.
    I support concealed-carry, and there is plenty of crime around to defend against, but let's not engage in hyperbole. The U.S. had much higher rates of crime in the 1980s than it does today. For most Americans, things are not becoming MORE dangerous every day.

Like most everyone else, I carry for protection. While I personally try to not put myself in situations where I may need any additional protection, where I live, things here are just crazy enough that anything and everything imaginable happens. I pray every night that I never have to pull my glock out of its holster.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpenit View Post
    I support concealed-carry, and there is plenty of crime around to defend against, but let's not engage in hyperbole. The U.S. had much higher rates of crime in the 1980s than it does today. For most Americans, things are not becoming MORE dangerous every day.
    You've hit the nail on the head, Sharp... But let's NAIL THIS DOWN... The REASON the crime rate has dropped is because more Americans are LEGALLY packing HEAT than they were in the 1980s. Criminals target those who are UNARMED and UNPREPARED to defend themselves.
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
    the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

TOXIC REIGN: Reclaim Our Future

Quote Originally Posted by corythoennes View Post
    Like most everyone else, I carry for protection. While I personally try to not put myself in situations where I may need any additional protection, where I live, things here are just crazy enough that anything and everything imaginable happens. I pray every night that I never have to pull my glock out of its holster.
    Cory, you know I said the SAME THING to my concealed-carry instructor when he asked us WHY we wanted to carry concealed weapons. I told him, "I know I NEED to carry a weapon to protect myself and my family, but I PRAY I'll never have to USE my Glock" (yeah, I was the only one in the class who was being certified with a Glock .45).

The instructor, who was a both a Marine and a police weapons instructor, replied, "If you're carrying a Glock .45, you ALREADY MADE THE DECISION to USE it."

Point is, if you intend to use LETHAL FORCE to defend yourself and your family, and you are LEGALLY CARRYING a lethal weapon, then you need to STOP QUESTIONING whether or not you're going to USE it. The time for PRAYER is already PAST.

It's that HESITATION that is going to get you killed, my friend. And that's what my instructor told ME. Just sayin'
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
    the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

TOXIC REIGN: Reclaim Our Future

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Austin Miller View Post
    Point is, if you intend to use LETHAL FORCE to defend yourself and your family, and you are LEGALLY CARRYING a lethal weapon, then you need to STOP QUESTIONING whether or not you're going to USE it. The time for PRAYER is already PAST.
    Basically the same thing my Instructor for Armed Private Security Officer training said. When he walked into the class, his first question was.. By a show of hands.. who is not prepared to take a life? Hands up! Those who raised their hands he told, thank you for your interest, but if you are going to carry a firearm, eventually you are going to have to use it. If you are not prepared to take a life, I can not in all good conscience certify you. And he asked them to leave.
    Same thing applies here, I am prepared to do what I need to, to protect my family and myself from anyone who might do me/them harm.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Charles Austin Miller View Post
    You've hit the nail on the head, Sharp... But let's NAIL THIS DOWN... The REASON the crime rate has dropped is because more Americans are LEGALLY packing HEAT than they were in the 1980s. Criminals target those who are UNARMED and UNPREPARED to defend themselves.
    I don't now if it is more or less dangerous today as far as crime rates...and I don't care. That's not the point of concealed or open carry. And we, as gun owners, need to stop using crime statistics as an argument for or against gun ownership and carrying. What if crime rates went WAY down while gun ownership stayed fairly constant? Anti-gunners could say we don't need any more guns because crime isn't a big problem anymore....whoops!...caught in our own trap!

You see, our fight has been wrong all along. We try to use all these tangential facts, or arguments, that are not really pertinent to the case. Studies show polls. Studies use statistics(the most dangerous source, by the way , because you don't know anything about HOW the gathering of the data was done, i.e., question make-up, number of people in the group, socio-economic and racial mix of group, etc.). NONE of this stuff matters.

What does matter, and we should use only ONE argument and keep repeating it until everyone understands and ACCEPTS IT! And that argument is simply: We own and carry guns because the United Sates Constitution, in the 2nd Amendment, says we have the right to do so. And any public and/or elected official that tries to stand in the way of that right is subject to legal action for not upholding the sworn duty to protect and uphold the Constitution. If we could get some of these (no tort reform needed) lawyers to actually grow a pair and start suing these officials, asking the Courts to remove them from office for malfeasance, we see a BIG change in our fight literally OVERNIGHT!

Cory, you know I said the SAME THING to my concealed-carry instructor when he asked us WHY we wanted to carry concealed weapons. I told him, "I know I NEED to carry a weapon to protect myself and my family, but I PRAY I'll never have to USE my Glock" (yeah, I was the only one in the class who was being certified with a Glock .45).

The instructor, who was a both a Marine and a police weapons instructor, replied, "If you're carrying a Glock .45, you ALREADY MADE THE DECISION to USE it."

It's that HESITATION that is going to get you killed, my friend. And that's what my instructor told ME. Just sayin'
    Charles,
    You are absolutely correct. My decision has already been made to use my protection. That doesn't stop me from prayer. I will not hesitate use whatever means necessary to protect myself or my family. I just pray that I never find myself in a position to where the situation escalates beyond my control while at the same time knowing that if it does, I am prepared.

Definitely on board with that, amigo.

I carry because ultimately, I am responsible for my own safety and that of my family. I carry concealed because I live in NY, and there is no other option available in this state. I don't find it to be any problem.

That's the gist of it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by sharpenit View Post
    Definitely on board with that, amigo.