Why Do You Carry Concealed? - Page 43
Page 43 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Carry Concealed?

Quote Originally Posted by lc9'er View Post
    I read a lot of what-ifs. I read a lot of "I would do this" ...

Seventeen years ago yesterday, a 14 year old gang banger changed my life. He fired 3 shots during an attempted robbery, and put 3 bullet holes in me, with his last shot at point blank range. Luckily, it was only a .25 caliber. The entire episode was over in less than 30 seconds. Flight was my decision ... get description ... and lucked upon police within 2 blocks of being shot. Medical attention (ambulance service) was within another block. I read a lot of conjecture here ... but, until TSHF it is just that - conjecture. Prepare, practice, use good SA, and ALWAYS CARRY when it is legal. Fourteen year old was certified as an adult and spent 15 years in prison. I recovered and settled with workman's comp. Today, I live and work in a safer area, but, like AMEX, I don't leave home without it (my concealed weapon).
    Well, coulda been a lot worse. Most gang bangers would've drilled you with a 9mm or a 380 — common weapons of choice on the street.

What kind of damage did the 25 auto do to you, if I may ask? In the cases I've studied, the 25 is so underpowered for its size, it'll bounce right off a human skull, you really have to actually fire the weapon into somebody's ear or eye or jam it into the torso to make it lethal.

Although the original 25 (designed by John Browning, BTW) was intended as a "vest pocket" means of self defense back in the early 1900s, the later Beretta 25 Auto was designed as a weapon for fighter pilots, in case they got shot down or bailed out behind enemy lines, you know. They carried these little goody packs that contained gold jewelry, candy, hosiery, and a 25 auto — for dealing with the locals, right. You can still find those fighter pilot 25s in pawn shops to this day — look on the gun frame for the stamped image of a falcon in flight or diving.

I carry a nice Beretta 25 Auto on backpacking trips into the mountains — it has no great penetration, no knockdown, it's definitely not a man-stopper; but the 25 Auto is LOUD, and I use it to scare off bears... Like those bear-bangers, you know, just fire it into the ground and the bears high-tail it. Bears are smart, they know what firearms are. :) I call the 25 Auto the "Noisy Cricket," and it lives up to its name.

You're lucky the kid was dumb enough to use a 25, actually.
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
    the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

TOXIC REIGN: Reclaim Our Future

3. The reality, is even if you were packin at the time there is no guarantee you will get to use it to save your life. Things happen so quickly, sometiimes fleeing is the only option. Having a weapon at your disposal definately helps though, train..train..train...! Also please carry condition one. Condition three is senseless. Situations unfold so quickly that you will never have time to rack one in. Glad to hear you were ok and that "pos" got what was coming to him.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

4. Rackin

Quote Originally Posted by importinvasion View Post
    The reality, is even if you were packin at the time there is no guarantee you will get to use it to save your life. Things happen so quickly, sometiimes fleeing is the only option. Having a weapon at your disposal definately helps though, train..train..train...! Also please carry condition one. Condition three is senseless. Situations unfold so quickly that you will never have time to rack one in. Glad to hear you were ok and that "pos" got what was coming to him.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    Couldn't agree more about training. I like to think that if fleeing has to be an option, you can flee as you are accessing your weapon.
    As for racking one in... I always have one chambered. I read someones post a while back that changed my carry method... it was about being injured or restrained and only having one free hand. Very hard to rack one with one hand.

Carrying Concealed takes you from being a 'sheep' to being a 'sheep dog'. I would rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6 if confronted by a 'wolf' with a weapon.

Blog Entries
    Because this is still America! "God made all men, and Colt made them equal."
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
    - Sigmund Freud -

Quote Originally Posted by importinvasion View Post
    The reality, is even if you were packin at the time there is no guarantee you will get to use it to save your life. Things happen so quickly, sometiimes fleeing is the only option. Having a weapon at your disposal definately helps though, train..train..train...! Also please carry condition one. Condition three is senseless. Situations unfold so quickly that you will never have time to rack one in. Glad to hear you were ok and that "pos" got what was coming to him.
    Being AWARE of your surroundings and of individuals in your proximity is what buys you time to decide if and when to brandish your weapon. If you're so oblivious to your surroundings that some guy or guys CAN surprise and bushwhack you, then you need to practice your OBSERVATION SKILLS. That means looking over your shoulder, constantly scanning your surroundings, watching for suspicious behavior, and anticipating a confrontation. I mean, NOBODY should be able to approach to within 21 feet of your person, if you're on your guard.

Have you ever watched all the potential victims in large parking lots? They exit their vehicles, facing straight ahead and focused on the the nearest building entrance. When they exit the building, they face straight ahead and focus on returning to their vehicles. During this time, they are TOTALLY OBLIVIOUS to the "big picture" of what is going on around them, they're basically BLIND except for whatever is directly in front of them. Most victims are, in fact, surprised from behind while returning to their vehicles.

Simply BEING OBSERVANT will save your ass, most of the time.

Also, you shouldn't be walking around with one in the chamber, ESPECIALLY if your semi-auto is a Glock. All the Glock's safety features are internal, and it's JUST WAITING for your fingertip on the trigger. You read about cases all the time of some guy carrying his Glock with a round in the chamber, reaching suddenly for the gun and discharging it into his thigh or hip. Sometimes fatally. DON'T keep a round in the chamber.

I mean, if you know your weapon, you can draw it to presentation and rack the slide in about 1 second. I've timed it, and I've been timed. Not coincidentally, a human being can sprint from a dead stop to a distance of 21 feet in about 1 second. Meaning, if you allow a suspicious character to approach to a distance of 21 feet from you, he can be ON TOP of you with a knife or a blackjack or whatever in 1 second.

You have to BE AWARE of everything going on around you, you need to WATCH suspicious people and LET THEM KNOW that you're watching them. This is called DETERRENCE. And if you're being approached by a suspicious character, you should already have a master-grip on your firearm before he reaches that 21-foot limit — this is when you say, in a loud voice, "THAT'S FAR ENOUGH."

Yeah, things happen quickly in an altercation, but MOST of your surprise is due to your LACK of OBSERVATION. If you CAN be surprised, you WILL be surprised, and you'll be another victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Austin Miller View Post
    Being AWARE of your surroundings and of individuals in your proximity is what buys you time to decide if and when to brandish your weapon. If you're so oblivious to your surroundings that some guy or guys CAN surprise and bushwhack you, then you need to practice your OBSERVATION SKILLS. That means looking over your shoulder, constantly scanning your surroundings, watching for suspicious behavior, and anticipating a confrontation. I mean, NOBODY should be able to approach to within 21 feet of your person, if you're on your guard.

Have you ever watched all the potential victims in large parking lots? They exit their vehicles, facing straight ahead and focused on the the nearest building entrance. When they exit the building, they face straight ahead and focus on returning to their vehicles. During this time, they are TOTALLY OBLIVIOUS to the "big picture" of what is going on around them, they're basically BLIND except for whatever is directly in front of them. Most victims are, in fact, surprised from behind while returning to their vehicles.

Simply BEING OBSERVANT will save your ass, most of the time.

Also, you shouldn't be walking around with one in the chamber, ESPECIALLY if your semi-auto is a Glock. All the Glock's safety features are internal, and it's JUST WAITING for your fingertip on the trigger. You read about cases all the time of some guy carrying his Glock with a round in the chamber, reaching suddenly for the gun and discharging it into his thigh or hip. Sometimes fatally. DON'T keep a round in the chamber.

I mean, if you know your weapon, you can draw it to presentation and rack the slide in about 1 second. I've timed it, and I've been timed. Not coincidentally, a human being can sprint from a dead stop to a distance of 21 feet in about 1 second. Meaning, if you allow a suspicious character to approach to a distance of 21 feet from you, he can be ON TOP of you with a knife or a blackjack or whatever in 1 second.

You have to BE AWARE of everything going on around you, you need to WATCH suspicious people and LET THEM KNOW that you're watching them. This is called DETERRENCE. And if you're being approached by a suspicious character, you should already have a master-grip on your firearm before he reaches that 21-foot limit this is when you say, in a loud voice, "THAT'S FAR ENOUGH."

Yeah, things happen quickly in an altercation, but MOST of your surprise is due to your LACK of OBSERVATION. If you CAN be surprised, you WILL be surprised, and you'll be another victim.
    It seem's to me that you are somewhat paranoid. If I took your advice I would never feel comfortable going to or leaving a Wall Mart store or any store for that matter unless I had my weapon in my hands and was ready for a fire fight. I don't have ulcers and don't intend to.
    Bill

If you don't trust your carry gun enough to carry it with a round chambered, GET A NEW CARRY GUN!

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbill View Post
    It seem's to me that you are somewhat paranoid. If I took your advice I would never feel comfortable going to or leaving a Wall Mart store or any store for that matter unless I had my weapon in my hands and was ready for a fire fight. I don't have ulcers and don't intend to.
    Bill
    Somewhat paranoid? So, you feel comfortable not being aware of your surroundings? Hey, you're welcomed to your victimhood. Even a gun won't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by TexChap View Post
    If you don't trust your carry gun enough to carry it with a round chambered, GET A NEW CARRY GUN!
    If you don't trust your gun? Come on, boy... You should be able to reach, draw, rack the slide, and be ON your target in 1 second, which SHOULD BE all you need to stop an assailant 21 feet away, BEFORE he hammers your face into the pavement. If you don't have the reflexes, and you're not OBSERVANT, you shouldn't be carrying in the first place. One in the chamber AINT gonna save your ass.

Page 43 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast