Why Do You Carry Concealed? - Page 44
Page 44 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Carry Concealed?

Quote Originally Posted by carpe06 View Post
    As for racking one in... I always have one chambered. I read someones post a while back that changed my carry method... it was about being injured or restrained and only having one free hand. Very hard to rack one with one hand.
    Carry a wheelgun.
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
    the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

TOXIC REIGN: Reclaim Our Future

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Austin Miller View Post
    Somewhat paranoid? So, you feel comfortable not being aware of your surroundings? Hey, you're welcomed to your victimhood. Even a gun won't help you.
    Yep, I am comfortable in my surroundings. As far as being a victum I have made it through 65 years to include 9 1/2 years in the military and 27 Mos. in a little place called South East Asia. Oh! and I almost forgot another 25 years in a major Police Department.
    Bill

First of all, I don't think you're paranoid. I am a security guard and I am used to watching for suspicious behavior. I do agree with the poster who says if you don't trust your gun with one in the chamber, get a a new one. I would advise a good revolver if don't trust your gun's safety. You will be dead in that one second. A man with a knife can cover 21 feet and stab you in half a second. Most police agencies train officers with that fact in mind. One who acts deliberately always has the advantage over one who reacts. The best professional dragster drivers strive for reflexes of .4 seconds when getting off the line. An average person who is not well trained in an action will react in .5 to .75 seconds once the brain registers danger. I taught defensive driving. We teach the two second rule for following cars for this very reason. Awareness of your surroundings is essential, but thinking you can outdraw and rack a slide against an assailant who already has his weapon out is ludicrous. Of course, if your gun is cocked and locked or a DA revolver, if you draw when they are expecting an easy, compliant target you will have the 1/2 second advantage, but one second will kill you for sure. If you carry a Glock or similar action, use a holster with the trigger covered so there is no chance of a snag, and keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you complete your draw. With training it will all be reflexive. Take it with a grain of salt, but that is my opinion on the subject. No offense intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Austin Miller View Post
    If you don't trust your gun? Come on, boy... You should be able to reach, draw, rack the slide, and be ON your target in 1 second, which SHOULD BE all you need to stop an assailant 21 feet away, BEFORE he hammers your face into the pavement. If you don't have the reflexes, and you're not OBSERVANT, you shouldn't be carrying in the first place. One in the chamber AINT gonna save your ass.
    I am an older guy and I have to be aware. My reflexes are not as quick as they use to be. When I walk out of Wally World or any other place, day or night, I check out what is going on. I refuse to be a victim.

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Arrow

Question;
    Why do I carry a concealed sidearm?

Answer;
    Because when seconds count, the police are too many minutes away.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

Quote Originally Posted by taurus382 View Post
    First of all, I don't think you're paranoid. I am a security guard and I am used to watching for suspicious behavior. I do agree with the poster who says if you don't trust your gun with one in the chamber, get a a new one. I would advise a good revolver if don't trust your gun's safety. You will be dead in that one second. A man with a knife can cover 21 feet and stab you in half a second. Most police agencies train officers with that fact in mind. One who acts deliberately always has the advantage over one who reacts. The best professional dragster drivers strive for reflexes of .4 seconds when getting off the line. An average person who is not well trained in an action will react in .5 to .75 seconds once the brain registers danger. I taught defensive driving. We teach the two second rule for following cars for this very reason. Awareness of your surroundings is essential, but thinking you can outdraw and rack a slide against an assailant who already has his weapon out is ludicrous. Of course, if your gun is cocked and locked or a DA revolver, if you draw when they are expecting an easy, compliant target you will have the 1/2 second advantage, but one second will kill you for sure. If you carry a Glock or similar action, use a holster with the trigger covered so there is no chance of a snag, and keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you complete your draw. With training it will all be reflexive. Take it with a grain of salt, but that is my opinion on the subject. No offense intended.
    Never apologize for common sense, Taurus. We're on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbill View Post
    Yep, I am comfortable in my surroundings. As far as being a victum I have made it through 65 years to include 9 1/2 years in the military and 27 Mos. in a little place called South East Asia. Oh! and I almost forgot another 25 years in a major Police Department.
    Bill
    Well, Sarge, did you ever have to DRAW DOWN on any one? I know plenty of people who went through WWII and Korea without ever drawing down on another human being. My dad, for instance, killed Japanese with a Kabar knife in the South Pacific, never killed anyone with a firearm. He taught me how to use a KNIFE before he ever taught me about guns.

Carry? To protect me and mine. Concealed? Because I'm not an attention seeker.

I was assigned and carried weapons for 24 years in the military in defense of our country. I carry now to protect my family, property and home.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.

I carry because I'm the only one responsible for my personal safety. I believe most people are good but the ones that aren't have no conscious so it's best to be prepared to protect one's self.
    A gun is a tool, no better, no worse than any other tool. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it.

Page 44 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast