Why Do You Carry Concealed? - Page 47
Page 47 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Carry Concealed?

Although I've been carrying sidearms all my life since I was a kid on the ranch down in Texas 40 years ago it didn't occur to me to get a CCW permit until fairly recently, in just the last few years.

In fact, it was when I started buying and selling gold that I finally decided I'd BETTER get a permit, because being a gold trader makes you a LOT more high-profile target. You'd be amazed how word gets around that you're buying gold. I mean, when you receive snail-mail with a gold exchange return address, you don't know HOW MANY people are aware of that fact. The mailman knows it, the postal sorters all know it, and the government sure as hell knows it; but it's the people you CAN'T name who you really have to worry about.

Not surprisingly, I stopped buying gold because it was becoming expensive beyond all reason. I finally sold off my gold and just got out of it completely a couple of years ago.

But I'm glad I took the CCW course, nonetheless. It made me aware of the LEO's point-of-view, informed me on the outrageous complexity of gun law in this state, and gave me a chance to have my gun-handling and marksmanship critiqued by police and military weapons trainers.
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
    the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

TOXIC REIGN: Reclaim Our Future

I will echo most thoughts that have been expressed. I carry because I can and would much rather have the protection and not need it than to live with the wishing I would have had it. Personal protection is just that personal.

4. Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    Here's an article/question I posted.

So let's here, why do you carry concealed?
    The element of surprise is crucial to me. I don't want anyone knowing I carry a gun. An old friend and retired Pittsburgh police officer, long since passed away, related a story to me that really demonstrates why you don't want to be identified by the bad guy as being armed. He was off duty, carrying his off duty gun concealed, and shopping at a local grocery store. Presently, a couple of goblins appeared, shoved a gun in the clerk's face, and demanded money. A woman who knew my friend, Red, shouted:" Dammit, Red, you're a cop. Do something." Fortunately for Red, the robber heard the word "cop" and ran like the wind. He told me he didn't know whether to shoot his noisy neighbor, or kick her ass right there on the spot.

Blog Entries
    i carry concealed because im afraid not to. when you have gray hair its the same as having a bullseye tatoo'd on you.
    you are a target of oportunity to every street urchin on the planet.

I have been licensed to CC in one state for many years. Now retired and traveling through out the US in an RV. With four State licenses and reciprocity, I am now licensed in over thirty states.

Traveling in an RV makes you a target. Staying in road side rests, Walmart parking lots and questionable RV parks increases the size of the target. When you arrive at an unfamiliar city and do not know the "bad" areas, it increases that target even more.

Our chances of defending ourselves and our property have increased to the point that CC is a way of life.
    People should practice being in a state of relaxed awareness similar to defensive driving. Enjoy life, but study your surroundings.....http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/pract...onal-awareness

7. I agree fully broher

8. I carry concealed because I live in Florida. There's a lot of bad people here, and drugs are out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Well, I plan on owning guns anyway, so I figure why not carry them just in case you need one for protection. Also, don't CWFLs allow you to skip the NICS check?

Nope. Still have to go through the instant check. Actually what I should have said is that when I lived in NH some years ago, I still filled out paperwork and went through the NCIC instant check. One can never be to careful!
    Now that I live in Vermont, even though there is no requirement to carry open or concealed, I still have to do the paperwork and the NCIC check.

Nics check

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    Nope. Still have to go through the instant check. Actually what I should have said is that when I lived in NH some years ago, I still filled out paperwork and went through the NCIC instant check. One can never be to careful!
    Now that I live in Vermont, even though there is no requirement to carry open or concealed, I still have to do the paperwork and the NCIC check.

In Ark they ask for my permit and within mins I pay for the weapon and I'm out the door. Not really sure if they check it or not but it's a heck of a lot faster than before with out my permit. :shrug:
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Same here in Mississippi, I show them my firearms permit and fill out my paperwork and out the door. No NCIC.

Page 47 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast