Why Do You Carry Concealed? - Page 69
Page 69 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Carry Concealed?

I carry concealed because:
    I don't want the bad guy to know I'm armed, That is to my advantage.
    Now in my 50's I need the advantage over younger, faster, stronger.
    I not only want to protect my loved ones, but I subscribe to the Sheepdog theory.
    We have a responsibility to protect and defend those around us who may be in harms way.
    As Brotherskeeper says, When seconds count the police are only minutes away.
    LEO's can't be everywhere, and when you really have an understanding of just how far away they may be, you understand the need to protect yourself and possibly those around you.
    I am not advocating vigilantes in any way, shape or form. What I am saying is if its happening around me I, as a CCW holder have an obligation to do all I can to protect the innocent if I can.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    I don't want the bad guy to know I'm armed, That is to my advantage.
    I am curious how the "element of surprise" is to you advantage?

You can only use it after you have already been attacked and when you do need to deploy it, you must be fast enough to retrieve and deploy your firearm before the criminal detects you doing it and defends against your counter attack. Seems like wild west quick draw gunfighting to me.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

*My dad would have been glad to see the fast draw wild west comment. He was a fast draw guy. House was filled with trophies. His holster hangs at the end of my desk.*
    If you were a Perp, and about to commit a crime, who would you be sure to cover or take out first? The guy with the gun. The advantage of having a concealed weapon is not always about a personal attack.
    You may not have the opportunity to pull your weapon. You may have to allow the crime to unfold. If your being beaten then using a cool head, thinking instead of panicking, and getting to your weapon will be in your favor.
    Not to say there may not be a time when a fast draw wouldn't be in your favor.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    If you were a Perp, and about to commit a crime, who would you be sure to cover or take out first? The guy with the gun. The advantage of having a concealed weapon is not always about a personal attack.
    You may not have the opportunity to pull your weapon. You may have to allow the crime to unfold. If your being beaten then using a cool head, thinking instead of panicking, and getting to your weapon will be in your favor.
    Not to say there may not be a time when a fast draw wouldn't be in your favor.
    If I were a perp, about to commit a crime, I would simply wait for the guy with the gun to leave, or go down the street one block and pick another target where the rest of the 99.5% of the public was not visibly carrying a gun. There are more examples that can be found of people being killed by flower pots than there are examples of Joe Citizen being shot first in a crime.

It's perfectly fine if you choose to carry your gun however you decide to based upon your own theories. Some of us simply point out what happens in reality so that other people can make informed decisions knowing the difference between theory and real life.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    If I were a perp, about to commit a crime, I would simply wait for the guy with the gun to leave, or go down the street one block and pick another target where the rest of the 99.5% of the public was not visibly carrying a gun.
    Thank You For Making & Understanding My Point.

7. The primary reason to carry a concealed weapon is to fully accept the responsibility of protecting my family, friends and neighbors from a potentially violent encounter with a criminal.

Blog Entries
    single mom of two kids- a baby & toddler. i'm 100lbs soakin' wet. I need all the backup i can get.

9. My reasons are pretty simple, to me at least. I spent 23 years in the Army in, around and about hostile areas ands combat zones. In the past 4 years I been close to, as an observer only thank goodness, 2 robberies and 3 assaults and more afraid than at any other times in my life. So being age 60 now sickly and mobility impaired "Fight or Flight" are no longer options. Therefore everywhere I go, if there isn't Public Law or posting at the door prohibiting firearms [B][I]I am strapped[I][B]. BET ON IT!

To keep from getting a felony when carrying something not in full site.

Quote Originally Posted by Imchopperpilot View Post
    My reasons are pretty simple, to me at least. I spent 23 years in the Army in, around and about hostile areas ands combat zones. In the past 4 years I been close to, as an observer only thank goodness, 2 robberies and 3 assaults and more afraid than at any other times in my life. So being age 60 now sickly and mobility impaired "Fight or Flight" are no longer options. Therefore everywhere I go, if there isn't Public Law or posting at the door prohibiting firearms [B][I]I am strapped[I][B]. BET ON IT!
    As another "seasoned" citizen with health impairments, I am a firm believer in being able to protect both my wife and myself. Too old to fight, too impaired to run but my trigger finger still works fine. Heard a saying years ago, "Don't mess with an old man who can no longer fight. He will kill you!" I don't want to do harm to anyone, conversely, don't want anyone doing harm to us.