Dog attacks and confrontations???? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog attacks and confrontations????

In SC. if a dog is loose and on your property doing damage or killing live stock acting agressive in anyway you have the right to shoot and destroy have done several times myself and Leo stood behind me everytime. Dogs belong on a leach or in a fence not running loose that is why we have so many wild dogs now.

3. Yes, it would be hard to shoot another dog, but if it means protecting myself, my children, pets, etc then I will do what is necessary...

Here in Florida there are many who think it's cool to have a pit bull, and are outraged when you 'suggest' they put this thing on a leash. Even though we have a variety of Laws requiring owners to leash at all times- both the police and judiciary dont want to enforce the law in many cases. I shoot these at dogs if they are on my land and I am outside, I have told my neighbors their dog will be shot if he /she makes any aggresive move on me or my family- I did not buy my home to have your dog attack me- nor did I buy here to listen to you whine. So curb your dog or I will do it for you

5. Most of the time you can determine the intent of an approaching dog in order to determine what course of action you need to take. I do a lot of running through my neighborhood and have had labs come up and run with me for a while or had small dogs come our barking but I cam simply stop and they will turn around. However, one afternoon I was running the neighborhood and happened to noticed out of the corner of my eye a dog charging down his driveway, which was a short driveway, towards me. I had about 3 seconds to decide what to do and because there was nowhere to go I just raised my foot to kick the dog and I screamed, probably not very manly like, and that was enough to startle the dog and make him stop just short my me. He then turned around and began following me very closely still growling. I don't know what stopped the dog from attacking me on that day other than the Lord himself because that dog was not doing that to just be friendly. The owners never came outside even though I was screaming at the dog. I later called the animal warden and explained the situation because our city has a leash law and they said they would have to catch the dog out of the fence or off the leash to do anything. I have called then a few more times when I drove by the house and the dog was laying in the front yard off the leash but they have not done anything.

That was before I began to carry and I would have no problem putting a dog down that was in attack mode. It's almost always the same breed of dogs that do the attacking so that creates a high alert in my mind. Pits or Rots for the most part. Occasionally another breed but not near bout as often. I know a lot of city's have began to ban these breeds which I have no problem with or they should at least make sure they stay leashed or fenced.

The area where this dog charged me is one that my family used to walk often but I have since decided to take another route. I would hate to discharge my weapon at a dog but would do so if I felt threatened.

6. I have a 107 lb. German shepherd that will bite on command or if my family is in danger. I think my dog is awesome! But if he ever got loose and approached someone growling or barking and they shot him I would be upset at the loss of a fantastic companion and family protector, but I would have no ill feelings toward the one who felt threatened and put him down. I would do the same to another dog threatening my family or myself. Obviously I would attempt to chase him off first by yelling or shouting at him, but bottom line, humans come first and a threat is a threat.

Irresponsible dog owners should not have dogs like irresponsible gun owners should not have guns. A gun won't shoot itself, and a well trained dog won't attack unless its trigger is pulled (by command or defense of the family).

The neighborhoods rots and pits are really friendly in Oregon here...i do not agree with banning these breeds...just the people who can't train them

That said...i don't believe anything is wrong with shooting another dog that is threatening, they can do as much damage as a human if not more..but I don't know the law very well, something I should educate myself on

8. Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Irresponsible dog owners should not have dogs like irresponsible gun owners should not have guns. A gun won't shoot itself, and a well trained dog won't attack unless its trigger is pulled (by command or defense of the family).

The neighborhoods rots and pits are really friendly in Oregon here...i do not agree with banning these breeds...just the people who can't train them
    Agreed. I had a pit when I was a child. Very friendly dog because, guess what, that's how we trained it to be... It's not the gun that murders, it's the person who chooses to murder. It's not the dog breed that's bad, it's how the owners train/allow it to be.

i have had pits, rots, german shepards, a chow mix, and have all been great dogs. they truly get a bad rap and its mostly cause the minoritys in the areas i lived liked to fight their dogs. gee wonder why the dogs are so aggressive. i would not want to shoot a dog, but if i had to i would. i took a bat to a pit once cause it was tryin to hop my patio almost 4 foot wall to get over... and get at the 3 kittens (1 week old) and their mom. pepper sparay wasnt close but my bat was. im sure it left with a broken rib or 2, but better than dead. i even found the owner of the dog and said next time it wont pan out well for the dog as it would be shot if it crossed my patio.... he told me to try it and watch what happens.... oh ya big tuff ass, btw never saw the guy or dog again.... guess he took it as truth and didnt want a dead dog..... i would have felt bad for killing it... really would have.

can u legaly shoot a dog in texas? specially within city limits??

Swift kick response

A dog owner here in New Zealand gave his dog a swift kick about 10 years ago. The dog managed to sever a major artery in the owner's leg and he bled out.

11. Pepper Spray..

First line of defense, in life and court. The Dog attacked "US" me and my dog, I attempted to ward him off with pepper spray to no avail then had to resort to shooting it..
    You and your dog are "US" and the attacking animal is an it..

Plus, wouldnt you feel better about saving yourself and your dog, without killing another dog?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast