Dog attacks and confrontations???? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog attacks and confrontations????

Quote Originally Posted by bob16066 View Post
    I really think its rarely necessary to shoot a dog. (Unless it's mad)

Why can't you just give it a good swift kick if it gets too close?

Just a suggestion. That's how I deal with dogs. One good swift kick usually does it.

I'd really hate to try to convince a jury that I had to shoot a dog. Unless I had visible wounds from the dog.

Just a suggestion.
    I agree. With rare exception you can stop even a large dog. A big part of the terror of the initial attack is the ferocity which appears in a dog's demeanor. Most times it's merely for show. There was a time when an attacking dog scared the hell out of me. But after training K9's for over a decade I view this differently now. Now I will become the agressor against an attacking dog... charging him and meeting him directly. Experience has taught me that with a few sticks and kicks he'll usually back off and run.

However, there are some dogs that can be beat and kicked to kingdom come and will not relent. I have a pit bull and can tell you it's very hard to get that jaw open. In such cases a person must do whatever is necessary to ensure they are not harmed. A bite to the leg from a powerful dog can cut the femoral artery causing a pretty quick death from blood loss. So do what you must to ensure complete safety.

I never wanted a pit bull but this was a rescue and I just couldn't say no to those big eyes. Thank God this dog is gentle and extremely friendly to everyone. Loves the mailman, UPS guy, the neighbors and all the kids. Raised in a loving family. But I still won't let that dog out of my sight for even a second. I find just the appearance of the dog makes people quite uneasy.

Attachment 3722
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

3. I'm not saying anyone is wrong.

I just have never found a dog that didn't run away after a good swift kick to the genitals. Don't misunderstand me. When I delivered the kick I had usually my hand on my pistol. I just never needed it.

Maybe I just don't get out enough.

I believe a dog that isn't mad will respond to the kick. And have always found that to be the case. If it doesn't respond to the kick by yappin while it runs away then it is mad and needs to be put down.

The one fella did say they were "pit bulls" I've never encountered this breed. (If I did I wouldn't know. If someone asks me what kinda dog it was I'd respond: big/small white/brown/black). It may be that the dogs in question didn't respond "naturally" because they've been trained to fight.

4. Silly me.

I forgot to clarify that I was speaking of one on one encounters.

I do believe that dogs (and humans) become emboldened and are less likely to back down and show weakness in front of their buddies.

If attacked by a pack of dogs (or humans) it may be necessary to take a more aggressive approach.

Here's the deal. My family is more important than your dog- every time. I live in ST Johns county Florida, county ordinance 97-11 defines ' bad dog'. You leash it or if it is a 'biter' it dies then we go to court, the Florida statutes are clear- title XLV,torts- chapter 767. In this state you will be sued for everything you own plus your dog will be dead. I - for one will not take the chance that your pit is one of the good ones, any aggresive behaviour will be dealt with right there. And to suggest that you 'kick it'- absurd! if it's close enough to kick it's too close- why do you think I carry concealed. My right to safety legaly supersedes any rights you or your dog have. Argue with the courts, when I kill your dog, you will be to blame because you didnt have enough respect for others safety

My own little dog story...

Here is what I posted in my local (Virginia) gun owners forum last year. Since this posting nothing more has happened and my wife now carries (with permit) a Whalther PPK.

From VA gun owners forum:
    Hello, I am looking for a little advice. I will try and keep it short..

The story starts 10 years ago when we moved in. I live in a rural part of Orange County (ok, most of Orange is rural). The neighbors (we each have 4 acre lots) have a dog that is part lab and part chow that they let run wild. Our house is in the middle of our lot, there's is pretty close to our property line. Anyway, whenever we go out front, or to check the mailbox by the road the dog would come charging at us and circle us barking and growling. I usually would just pick up rocks from the gravel driveway and throw them at him and we back off. We dealt with this for a couple years and called animal control. Their answer was that if he has not bitten anybody that it was not an issue.

Time goes by, we have our first child. We end up spending a couple grand on fence in front of our house so our girl can play out front without us having to worry about the dog. Finally, after numerous complaints they start keeping the dog under tighter wraps.

Time goes by, we have another child and the neighbors are now breeding and raising pit bulls. They let them run free sometimes. When they do, the usually end up in front of our house trying to get to our to tiny toy poodles. We complain to animal control, same result. We talk to the neighbors. Their answer is that they tell them not to come over but they just wont listen (how crazy is that). So, I put up another fence now between our properties (420ft). This just means that the dogs have to go around the ends and gives us more time to get in the house or car before they can get near us. This has worked pretty well for the last couple of years.

Time goes by, we have another child :clap: ).

Yesterday, the wife comes home from dropping off daughter #1 at school and has the other two in the car. She comes around the back of the house to get into the garage and finds the neighbors dogs. They have killed some kind of animal and are feasting on it right behind our house. She honks at them and tries to get them to leave, they start growling and showing there teeth at her in the car. She decides to go get the neighbors. She pulls up in front of their house and honks a few times. The mother (older lady) comes out. My wife tells her that her sons dogs are behind our house and will not let her into the garage. The old lady says "when my son wakes up I will let him know". What a load of crap that is...Wife's response is "I am calling the police." The Sheriff deputy shows up at our house just as the dogs are leaving and animal control rolls in a little later. Old lady says the dogs where never over there, but deputy tells them that he saw them leaving. Anyway, animal control does nothing. The deputy happens to live just across the street and tells my wife to just shoot the dogs next time. His wife will not go to their mailbox without a gun and will shoot them if they come over to her.

So, right now, my wife is going to get her permit to carry concealed, but I just noticed that it should be legal for her to keep a gun in the car (glove box) with out it. Is this correct. I am also getting her a better carry gun so that she can carry it more comfortably. She currently has a Colt 1991A1 Compact that is just to big and heavy to keep in her purse. We are looking to get her a Walther PPK/S 380.

Sorry for the long post, just kind of frustrated with the whole situation. We have written to the county commissioners and all elected officials that we could think of, but no help there...

If the dogs come back, I would hate to have to shoot them, but that looks like what is going to happen. :thumbsdown:

Thanks for reading and any advise that you might have.

John
    Retired Air Force TACP radio maintenance guy.
    MOS 34L (Army) 83-86, AFSC 30454/2E173 (Air Force) 86-03.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member

Quote Originally Posted by boston101 View Post
    Here's the deal. My family is more important than your dog- every time. I live in ST Johns county Florida, county ordinance 97-11 defines ' bad dog'. You leash it or if it is a 'biter' it dies then we go to court, the Florida statutes are clear- title XLV,torts- chapter 767. In this state you will be sued for everything you own plus your dog will be dead. I - for one will not take the chance that your pit is one of the good ones, any aggresive behaviour will be dealt with right there. And to suggest that you 'kick it'- absurd! if it's close enough to kick it's too close- why do you think I carry concealed. My right to safety legaly supersedes any rights you or your dog have. Argue with the courts, when I kill your dog, you will be to blame because you didnt have enough respect for others safety
    In my post I'm referring to a back/rib breaking kick or pretty severe hammering with a good size stick. It may cause mortal injury anyway. You're right. Stop the attack however you must. And remember two or more dogs are emboldened as they are pack hunters.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by gtijohn View Post
    Here is what I posted in my local (Virginia) gun owners forum last year. Since this posting nothing more has happened and my wife now carries (with permit) a Whalther PPK.

From VA gun owners forum:
    Hello, I am looking for a little advice. I will try and keep it short..

The story starts 10 years ago when we moved in. I live in a rural part of Orange County (ok, most of Orange is rural). The neighbors (we each have 4 acre lots) have a dog that is part lab and part chow that they let run wild. Our house is in the middle of our lot, there's is pretty close to our property line. Anyway, whenever we go out front, or to check the mailbox by the road the dog would come charging at us and circle us barking and growling. I usually would just pick up rocks from the gravel driveway and throw them at him and we back off. We dealt with this for a couple years and called animal control. Their answer was that if he has not bitten anybody that it was not an issue.

Time goes by, we have our first child. We end up spending a couple grand on fence in front of our house so our girl can play out front without us having to worry about the dog. Finally, after numerous complaints they start keeping the dog under tighter wraps.

Time goes by, we have another child and the neighbors are now breeding and raising pit bulls. They let them run free sometimes. When they do, the usually end up in front of our house trying to get to our to tiny toy poodles. We complain to animal control, same result. We talk to the neighbors. Their answer is that they tell them not to come over but they just wont listen (how crazy is that). So, I put up another fence now between our properties (420ft). This just means that the dogs have to go around the ends and gives us more time to get in the house or car before they can get near us. This has worked pretty well for the last couple of years.

Time goes by, we have another child :clap: ).

Yesterday, the wife comes home from dropping off daughter #1 at school and has the other two in the car. She comes around the back of the house to get into the garage and finds the neighbors dogs. They have killed some kind of animal and are feasting on it right behind our house. She honks at them and tries to get them to leave, they start growling and showing there teeth at her in the car. She decides to go get the neighbors. She pulls up in front of their house and honks a few times. The mother (older lady) comes out. My wife tells her that her sons dogs are behind our house and will not let her into the garage. The old lady says "when my son wakes up I will let him know". What a load of crap that is...Wife's response is "I am calling the police." The Sheriff deputy shows up at our house just as the dogs are leaving and animal control rolls in a little later. Old lady says the dogs where never over there, but deputy tells them that he saw them leaving. Anyway, animal control does nothing. The deputy happens to live just across the street and tells my wife to just shoot the dogs next time. His wife will not go to their mailbox without a gun and will shoot them if they come over to her.

So, right now, my wife is going to get her permit to carry concealed, but I just noticed that it should be legal for her to keep a gun in the car (glove box) with out it. Is this correct. I am also getting her a better carry gun so that she can carry it more comfortably. She currently has a Colt 1991A1 Compact that is just to big and heavy to keep in her purse. We are looking to get her a Walther PPK/S 380.

Sorry for the long post, just kind of frustrated with the whole situation. We have written to the county commissioners and all elected officials that we could think of, but no help there...

If the dogs come back, I would hate to have to shoot them, but that looks like what is going to happen. :thumbsdown:

Thanks for reading and any advise that you might have.

John
    Retired Air Force TACP radio maintenance guy.
    MOS 34L (Army) 83-86, AFSC 30454/2E173 (Air Force) 86-03.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member
    You have a very serious situation. Do what you must. Make a record of it with local police and animal control... A LENGTHY RECORD. Perhaps you might notify your neighbor by certified letter. You can see that these dogs will kill another animal, maybe next time a small child. Having had a pit bill myself I would recommend taking every step necessary to defend your family. Once the pit bites you're not getting it off the child without killing it. My pit was 65 punds, I'm 200 pounds. That dog could drag me across the floor while holding a leather toy... and I can't pry the dogs mouth off the toy. In fact when I wrestled with my K9 trained GSD I let him bite me but not the pit. He' was never allowed to put his mouth on anyone. Very dangerous animal in the wrong hands. Very negligent of your neighbors.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Last post on this nonsense, The dogs picture says it all- these are the people who think it's cool to own these dogs. Pits, Rots, Dobes, and Alsations- breeds bred for attack- you got a good one, thats great!. It comes near my kid or my wife it dies-watch me. And when the lawyers are done with you, your grandkids will be paying mine. I will take no chances- I dont care if JC himself comes down from the cross again, or if your a cop, or military or the pope. Your dog dies. For the guy who doesnt know what these Pits look like? you wont be able to see him cause his jaws will be clamped arond your throat. Everyone makes their own choice- but when your 'good' pit rips your daughters throat out cause its had a bad day- your at fault

piss on your neighbors, they dont care about you. you only have the rights you can defend. If you can move do so, I see you dont want to take the violent approach- and that stuff escalates especially when dealling with the ignorant- so you may be smart. But you dont have to put up with this crap- did you retire for this? spend your money on a house for this? I doubt it. Protect yourself always, remember, whatever you were taught, the authorities are not always acting in your best interests, so you have to

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast