Dog attacks and confrontations???? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Dog attacks and confrontations????

Thanks Boston. If a dog is loose, the onus is on the owner period/end of story. As I said before, "I was scared to death when that dog showed its teeth and growled an angry growl and it was already too close to me for me to do anything but shoot it, particularly after it had attacked my leashed dog. Where in the heck were its owners? Why must I have to defend myself against imminent danger of death or great bodily injury because someone did not act responsibly?" That is your story and you are sticking to it. Unless there are many other witnesses (ie a dog park), your comments can only be refuted by an irresponsible idiot and his dead dog.
    PS: In my community we had a loose pit bull just walking around doing what a dog usually does. I was not going to go over to it and see what it said on its leash (it was a well groomed, large muscular male who obviously belonged to someone). I called 911 on the first Sat that I saw it and was informed animal control was off on weekends and police would only come if the dog was acting aggressively. I spoke to Chief that next Mon and told him what dispatch had to say and we agreed that dispatch should at least ask about the size and type of the dog and that if I was too afraid to go over to it, the police should certainly have come out to investigate. Regardless of whether they ask or not, from now on anytime a large dog is just roaming unleashed and I have to call 911, I will inform dispatch that the dog IS acting aggressively, that it approached me menacingly and I am surely afraid for my well being--true or not true. If I see an unleashed dog attacking another dog or other domestic animal, I will shoot it. By the way, they eventually caught up with the pit about 2 weeks later and the owner has since supposedly secured it and repaired a fence---this will go before a judge end of May and I intend to be there---I want a big fine and a record of that incident for future action.

Quote Originally Posted by boston101 View Post
    Last post on this nonsense, The dogs picture says it all- these are the people who think it's cool to own these dogs. Pits, Rots, Dobes, and Alsations- breeds bred for attack- you got a good one, thats great!. It comes near my kid or my wife it dies-watch me. And when the lawyers are done with you, your grandkids will be paying mine. I will take no chances- I dont care if JC himself comes down from the cross again, or if your a cop, or military or the pope. Your dog dies. For the guy who doesnt know what these Pits look like? you wont be able to see him cause his jaws will be clamped arond your throat. Everyone makes their own choice- but when your 'good' pit rips your daughters throat out cause its had a bad day- your at fault
    In the hood they walk these dogs around on gold chains like bling or jewelry. Every hoodrat has one. It's a status symbol. I was once stopped at a light talking to my wife. I remarked at the beautiful markings of the pit bull on the corner... leashed. Then it bit the guy talking to its owner... right in the a$$. I never laughed so hard. They train the dogs to be bad. It's a "hood" thing.

Would you shoot my dog if it pranced up to you happily wagging its tail and seeking attention just because it's a pit bull? It's a wonderful cuddly dog to all strangers. I believe each dog is a result of its upbringing. This dog was brought up around small kids, numerous other dogs, horses/livestock and strangers. It plays soccer with the neighborhood kids (and seems to know the rules). Sort of like Petey on The Little Rascals. It's trained to stay on my property and even greets the Jehova Witnesses with a wiggly happiness. The problem is that the site of the dog with that large head and jaw muscles combined with the reputation immediately raises the hair on most people's neck. Rightfully so. But the mailman and UPS guy bring treats, sit down and pet the dog. And who has more dog trouble than the mailman. He makes the dog take the treat from his own mouth. I think if you met my dog you may see it differently.

I fully understand the concern over these dogs. If raised poorly or not controlled, confined or obedient they can be a pretty bad lot. Just give him a second before wacking him. He may be one of those rare exceptions. My K9 shepard would approach happily as well. He would NEVER bite unless commanded to do so or in protection from a direct attack. His noble beauty, stamina and loyalty is a thing to be revered. Once again, as long as he's trained properly to be a good member of society. But as I stated before, I NEVER took these dogs off my property without a leash and a requirement that they heel, sit and stay (Fuss, Sitzen ad Bleib) without exception.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Have had dogs all my life eveything from mutt to large dogs, dogs like people are formed by their upbringing, with that said a dog that is a threat to me or a member of my family will be put down. If running loose, and you love him you better control him.

Quote Originally Posted by boston101:200246
    Last post on this nonsense, The dogs picture says it all- these are the people who think it's cool to own these dogs. Pits, Rots, Dobes, and Alsations- breeds bred for attack- you got a good one, thats great!. It comes near my kid or my wife it dies-watch me. And when the lawyers are done with you, your grandkids will be paying mine. I will take no chances- I dont care if JC himself comes down from the cross again, or if your a cop, or military or the pope. Your dog dies. For the guy who doesnt know what these Pits look like? you wont be able to see him cause his jaws will be clamped arond your throat. Everyone makes their own choice- but when your 'good' pit rips your daughters throat out cause its had a bad day- your at fault
    Sorry but they are not bred to attack. If anything german shepherds are bred to attack more so. Common misconception is even a real pit bull (where they actuality fight in a pit, otherwise the dog is known as an american staffordshire terrier, or american/english bull dog, etc) do not attack humans as much as other dogs because their screwed up owners kill dogs that misbehave.

In my life I have seen and heard more labrador attacks than bull dog attacks.

Shooting a dog because its near you is wrong. We draw our guns when its the last option we have. I am cool for owning dogs (labrador, akita/bull dog mix) and training them to be great dogs. I don't think its cool to label them attack dogs.

Pits get a bad reputation because the news likes to put them in a bad light every so often. I can assure you there are more dog attacks from other breeds. The news likes to put gun owners in a bad light too, should that picture be the one the world uses to explain us? We also get a bad reputation when we threaten to kill good dogs...

Just my view of the good dog/bad dog thing. What do you guess is the percentage of dogs that have bitten someone that have previously been described by the owner as friendly and will not bite? My gut feeling is that it is high. I get so sick of hearing that.

ALL dogs can bite. They will do it for reasons clear to the individual dog, but generally unfathomable by the victim and owner. They will not necessarily behave the same way to their owner (or while the owner is present) than when independantly confronting another person (not even a non-stranger). If there is more than one dog; all bets are off.

There is much discussion that ultimately boils down to "it was just being friendly". It is not my responsibility to distinguish between a dog running up barking continuously to say hi and a dog running at me continuously barking that wants to eat me. They should never be given the opportunity.

About two weeks ago I was standing on my property, about 20' above street level (steep bank), 50' or more from German Shepard and two people. He looked over and saw me and immediately made a high speed run across the road, up the bank, and across the intervening part of my property, barking and growling. The man on the road called it back with a second or two until it would have been upon me. These things are incredibly fast. I did not have time to draw my weapon. I got my hand on it, but not out. I would have shot as soon as I had the capability. The couple did not even say sorry about that. On the other hand, they did not tell me it would not have hurt me. They completely ignored the incident. I was so furious I did not even yell at them.

Quote Originally Posted by alternety View Post
    Just my view of the good dog/bad dog thing. What do you guess is the percentage of dogs that have bitten someone that have previously been described by the owner as friendly and will not bite? My gut feeling is that it is high. I get so sick of hearing that.

ALL dogs can bite. They will do it for reasons clear to the individual dog, but generally unfathomable by the victim and owner. They will not necessarily behave the same way to their owner (or while the owner is present) than when independantly confronting another person (not even a non-stranger). If there is more than one dog; all bets are off.

There is much discussion that ultimately boils down to "it was just being friendly". It is not my responsibility to distinguish between a dog running up barking continuously to say hi and a dog running at me continuously barking that wants to eat me. They should never be given the opportunity.

About two weeks ago I was standing on my property, about 20' above street level (steep bank), 50' or more from German Shepard and two people. He looked over and saw me and immediately made a high speed run across the road, up the bank, and across the intervening part of my property, barking and growling. The man on the road called it back with a second or two until it would have been upon me. These things are incredibly fast. I did not have time to draw my weapon. I got my hand on it, but not out. I would have shot as soon as I had the capability. The couple did not even say sorry about that. On the other hand, they did not tell me it would not have hurt me. They completely ignored the incident. I was so furious I did not even yell at them.
    There is truth in these words as well. Unpredictability! That's why I'll never let the dog off-leash in a public place. I keep my eye on my dogs every minute when they're on my own property unleashed. Of a K9 GSD, a pit bull and a border collie, guess who my biggest offender was? The runt female border collie.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Shooting a dog because it might attack based on it's size or breed? Do the same thing with Humans and you will loose your permit and your guns in a hurry.

Hey jg: Your comment is understood but it is somewhat specious. 1) If the dog is large and of a certain breed, anyone with half a brain will be conscious of its potential, as opposed to a small vocal dog--this argument is essentially profiling and is, in a way, what you are saying with both of your statements. 2) There is, at least IMO, a big difference between understanding where you stand with a human as opposed to a dog, regardless of size and "breed". I understand your comment and just replying--that is what makes these forums interesting--no offense intended and I apologize now if you find my comment somewhat incorrect or offensive.

My wife and I are avid cyclists and prone to making long trips out in the boonies. Of note:

1) The leash and/or fenced yard Laws are virtually unamiously ignored by folks out on the back roads. Dogs run loose all over the place.

2) In 90% of the time/incidents (of which there has been a number), the dog(s) will stay on the property, which suits us well, as we stay in the road.

3) One of the reasons we both got concealed permits was to allow us to carry on our trips. Versus dogs, and a time when my wife was "stalked" by a couple of yahoos for a number of miles on a trip she had gone on by herself. (She called me and I came to the rescue, she was only five miles from home, I broke all speed records getting there, ARMED!)

4) Even at that, the closest I came to getting hurt versus loose dogs was the time some little, non descrept, mutt came out into the road to bark at me and ran right into my path. Being a nice guy, I was forced to swerve to avoid hitting it and damn near made myself into a hood ornament for the vehicle coming up from my six. (Fortunately the driver WAS paying attention to the developing situation and managed to avoid hitting me.) No more Mr. Nice Guy for this "rider". Dog blocks my path, it gets run over or shot.

5) Wife had an incident with a clown near our home. Two rottys came out at her. She stopped and yelled to the house to get help. Owner called them back, that lasted about 30 seconds when they came at her again. She griped to the owner, who was standing in the yard by then..... said owner? "You don't like dogs? Then stay the hell off my road!" (HIS road???????) Wife said she'd just shoot them next time out. I had a LEO go out and explain the facts of life and law to this clown shortly thereafter. Hopefully he "got the picture" for I will feel no remorse for making "dog meat" out of his pride and joys if pressed on the issue in the future.

Long story short...... the "nice little doggies" are the primary reason why we "pack" on our road trips these days. Without fail.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

11. In Idaho, all it takes is to feel threatened by a dog and you can shoot him. This can be a threat to yourself, a family member or even your pets. I would hate to have to do that, but I'm always prepared.

When I'm by myself, if a dog show aggression toward me, I will try to scare him off with pepper spray or kicking him (It depends on the size of the dog). If pepper spray doesn't work he is going to eat a 9mm slug. If my kids are with me and I don't think I can handle the dog with a good swift kick, he is going to get shoot. I won't even bother with the pepper spray because I will do whatever it takes to protect my kids (I'm not going to wait for them to get attacked). I will protect myself, my family, my pets and even strangers that are being threatened by a vicious dog.

Anyone with a dog capable of doing someone serious harm needs to train that dog or keep them detained in their own yard. If I had to shoot someones dog because it tried to attack me (or anyone else), I would be P***ed off and hold the dog owner responsible. I don't buy that BS "my dog is friendly and never does that". I know what my dogs are capable of and so do other dog owners. Dogs need to be raised like children; they need to be taught right from wrong. Dog owners be responsible and train your dog.
    If you take all the guns off the street, you still will have a crime problem.
    If you take the criminals off the street, you cannot have a gun problem.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast