Dog attacks and confrontations???? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dog attacks and confrontations????

Quote Originally Posted by gtijohn View Post
    Here is what I posted in my local (Virginia) gun owners forum last year. Since this posting nothing more has happened and my wife now carries (with permit) a Whalther PPK.

From VA gun owners forum:
    Hello, I am looking for a little advice. I will try and keep it short..

The story starts 10 years ago when we moved in. I live in a rural part of Orange County (ok, most of Orange is rural). The neighbors (we each have 4 acre lots) have a dog that is part lab and part chow that they let run wild. Our house is in the middle of our lot, there's is pretty close to our property line. Anyway, whenever we go out front, or to check the mailbox by the road the dog would come charging at us and circle us barking and growling. I usually would just pick up rocks from the gravel driveway and throw them at him and we back off. We dealt with this for a couple years and called animal control. Their answer was that if he has not bitten anybody that it was not an issue.

Time goes by, we have our first child. We end up spending a couple grand on fence in front of our house so our girl can play out front without us having to worry about the dog. Finally, after numerous complaints they start keeping the dog under tighter wraps.

Time goes by, we have another child and the neighbors are now breeding and raising pit bulls. They let them run free sometimes. When they do, the usually end up in front of our house trying to get to our to tiny toy poodles. We complain to animal control, same result. We talk to the neighbors. Their answer is that they tell them not to come over but they just wont listen (how crazy is that). So, I put up another fence now between our properties (420ft). This just means that the dogs have to go around the ends and gives us more time to get in the house or car before they can get near us. This has worked pretty well for the last couple of years.

Time goes by, we have another child :clap: ).

Yesterday, the wife comes home from dropping off daughter #1 at school and has the other two in the car. She comes around the back of the house to get into the garage and finds the neighbors dogs. They have killed some kind of animal and are feasting on it right behind our house. She honks at them and tries to get them to leave, they start growling and showing there teeth at her in the car. She decides to go get the neighbors. She pulls up in front of their house and honks a few times. The mother (older lady) comes out. My wife tells her that her sons dogs are behind our house and will not let her into the garage. The old lady says "when my son wakes up I will let him know". What a load of crap that is...Wife's response is "I am calling the police." The Sheriff deputy shows up at our house just as the dogs are leaving and animal control rolls in a little later. Old lady says the dogs where never over there, but deputy tells them that he saw them leaving. Anyway, animal control does nothing. The deputy happens to live just across the street and tells my wife to just shoot the dogs next time. His wife will not go to their mailbox without a gun and will shoot them if they come over to her.

So, right now, my wife is going to get her permit to carry concealed, but I just noticed that it should be legal for her to keep a gun in the car (glove box) with out it. Is this correct. I am also getting her a better carry gun so that she can carry it more comfortably. She currently has a Colt 1991A1 Compact that is just to big and heavy to keep in her purse. We are looking to get her a Walther PPK/S 380.

Sorry for the long post, just kind of frustrated with the whole situation. We have written to the county commissioners and all elected officials that we could think of, but no help there...

If the dogs come back, I would hate to have to shoot them, but that looks like what is going to happen. :thumbsdown:

Thanks for reading and any advise that you might have.

John
    Retired Air Force TACP radio maintenance guy.
    MOS 34L (Army) 83-86, AFSC 30454/2E173 (Air Force) 86-03.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member
    In my opinion, the next time one of the neighbor's dogs are on your property and threatening you or your family, get your family inside and then kill the dog.

If they aren't threatening you or your family try to photograph them in such a way that it is obvious that they are in your yard. If you decide to kill it after that (I probably would considering the history) it's your call.

I would also consult a lawyer about making the neighbor reimburse you for the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey jg: Your comment is understood but it is somewhat specious. 1) If the dog is large and of a certain breed, anyone with half a brain will be conscious of its potential, as opposed to a small vocal dog--this argument is essentially profiling and is, in a way, what you are saying with both of your statements. 2) There is, at least IMO, a big difference between understanding where you stand with a human as opposed to a dog, regardless of size and "breed". I understand your comment and just replying--that is what makes these forums interesting--no offense intended and I apologize now if you find my comment somewhat incorrect or offensive.
    None taken and I appreciate the courtesy. I simply got somewhat worried about some posters who sounded like they'd gun anything down that even looked at them wrong. Since I have dogs myself I know that there is a lot more bark than bite in most of them. We keep ours leashed but sometimes mishaps happen. Our neighbors don't shoot my dogs and I don't shoot theirs.

Heyjg: You are right about your feelings when it comes to some of the forum members. Personally I think some repliers are very emboldened when sitting in their pjs at a computer and writing like they are Dirty Harry reincarnates. I think we take their words a little too seriously. I am sure that in head to head discussions, their attitudes, like most of us, would be tempered somewhat with the realization that every dog that is barking and prancing is not a vicious killer waiting to be shot dead. Interestingly in my local paper today there was an article from Washington indicating that last year there were more than 5,600 mail carriers bitten by dogs costing the USPS over $1.2 mil. Last year more than 4.7 million citizens (mostly children) were bitten by dogs. Top cities were Houston, Columbus, San Diego, LA, Louisville, San Antonio, St. Louis, Cleveland, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Portland, Denver, Philly, Saramento, and Seattle.

None taken and I appreciate the courtesy. I simply got somewhat worried about some posters who sounded like they'd gun anything down that even looked at them wrong. Since I have dogs myself I know that there is a lot more bark than bite in most of them. We keep ours leashed but sometimes mishaps happen. Our neighbors don't shoot my dogs and I don't shoot theirs.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Reminded me of the guy who said he would run over anyone he saw carrying a gun (because he thinks anyone who is carrying a gun is a criminal...cause we might be good people until we go crazy and shoot each other). There is a distinct difference between aggression (which is totally justifiable to defend yourself) and barking (which is not okay to shoot). No need to jump the gun on mans best friend.

My neighbors dog scares the crap out of me every time I see it. He has a doberman. This dog is big!! He stands an easy 36-40 inches at the shoulder. My heart races every time he comes around he is usually running but that dog will lick you to death. The dog does run freely after he gets his bath on the weekends. He's harmless unless he steps on your foot while wearing sandals.

Pennsylvania law states that lethal force can be used against a dog if it is charging at, wounding, or killing a person or pet. I was surprised to hear that, given that Pennsylvania is rather "retreat oriented" when it comes to humans attacking. A neighbor one street down from me has 2 large rotweilers. One day in the winter when I was running, the dogs were getting out for a walk. Unfortunately, the dogs saw me and ended up dragging woman walking them across her frozen driveway by the leash. All I had on me at that time was pepper spray. That was the only time they appeared to have limited control of the dogs, though, but those big dogs concern me. The owner stops walking them and makes them sit when I run by, but they often jump up and make nasty growling noises. I wouldn't want to shoot them, but I get the impression that if they got loose, they would be dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    Pennsylvania law states that lethal force can be used against a dog if it is charging at, wounding, or killing a person or pet. I was surprised to hear that, given that Pennsylvania is rather "retreat oriented" when it comes to humans attacking. A neighbor one street down from me has 2 large rotweilers. One day in the winter when I was running, the dogs were getting out for a walk. Unfortunately, the dogs saw me and ended up dragging woman walking them across her frozen driveway by the leash. All I had on me at that time was pepper spray. That was the only time they appeared to have limited control of the dogs, though, but those big dogs concern me. The owner stops walking them and makes them sit when I run by, but they often jump up and make nasty growling noises. I wouldn't want to shoot them, but I get the impression that if they got loose, they would be dangerous.
    Got to remember they run in a pack mentality too! One Rotty may just growl but when together they key off each other and may be more proned to attack or harassment.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I agree. With rare exception you can stop even a large dog. A big part of the terror of the initial attack is the ferocity which appears in a dog's demeanor. Most times it's merely for show. There was a time when an attacking dog scared the hell out of me. But after training K9's for over a decade I view this differently now. Now I will become the agressor against an attacking dog... charging him and meeting him directly. Experience has taught me that with a few sticks and kicks he'll usually back off and run.
    I'm not a dog trainer, nor does the state of Ohio require me to be one. It requires me to not trespass on someone else's property and provoke their animals.

If I'm minding my own business, walking down the street, and a dog puts me in reasonable fear of being harmed, I have -0- duty to put myself in ANY danger to protect that dog. If somebody doesn't want their dog to get shot, they need to maintain control of it such that it's not a credible, immediate threat to third parties. If you don't do that, it's obvious that you really don't care about your dog, just your ability to impose on strangers.

The kind of people who let dangerous dogs run loose are the same ones who let their children grow up to be thugs and terrorize their neighbors. Both of them wonder why their dogs get shot for chasing people or why their kids get shot for trying to rob people.

Dogs are like people, none can be trusted because none are truly predictable. Just cause something is outside the norm for any given personality type doesn't mean it is impossible whether it be man or beast...

I don't think most of the first time murderers setting in prison ever really thought of themselves as the murdering type. I think I've seen some stats somewhere or another thats shown most were simple fits of rage outside of the person's normal behavior patterns.

[/QUOTE] The kind of people who let dangerous dogs run loose are the same ones who let their children grow up to be thugs and terrorize their neighbors. Both of them wonder why their dogs get shot for chasing people or why their kids get shot for trying to rob people.[/QUOTE]

All dogs can be dangerous, just like all people can be dangerous. I agree, irresponsible people let their pets and kids run wild. Defending yourself is defending yourself. Easy as that.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast