Can a Canadian be issued a "Concealed Carry Permit"? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Can a Canadian be issued a "Concealed Carry Permit"?

When I received my Or. CHL I was told it did not prove citizenship and can't be used for ID except for carry. (he wasn't a lawyer either)

IMO as an american citizen (Canada is part of north America) it should be allowed

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Again, that is NOT a requirement for the Washington permit.

RCW 9.41.173: Alien possession of firearms

However, on July 7, 2011 a new law will take effect in Washington which requires an alien residing in Washington to provide a United States issued alien number or admission number, so in July 7, 2011 a non-permanent resident alien will not be able to obtain the CPL. Open carry will still be legal for them, though, with the alien firearm license.
    You do realize a Washington Alien Firearms License is NOT a CCW/CPL right? It merely makes it legal for an alien non-resident to shoot and hunt in Washington. IT IS NOT A CPL.

From the State's website:

Frequently asked questions: Alien firearms license
    What is the new alien firearms license?

This license allows you to use a firearm for hunting and sport shooting if you are a non-immigrant alien who is temporarily living in Washington State.

Who must have an alien firearms license?

Any non-immigrant alien who is temporarily living in Washington, such as:
    Students on temporary school visas.
    People on temporary work visas.

Who doesn’t need an alien firearms license?
    A permanent resident alien (immigrant alien) with a permanent resident card.
    A non-immigrant alien not residing in Washington, who is hunting or participating in trade shows or shooting events while visiting or vacationing here.
    The OP was asking specifically about a CCW/CLP so not even in Washington could he carry concealed legally. In addition, it's for someone temporarily living in the state, a visitor not living here doesn't even need one. So Widowerks statement that a visiting Alien cannot get a CCW is correct.

The old Alien Firearms license hasn't been issued for the last couple of years, the state has refused to process them.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Stiofan View Post
    You do realize a Washington Alien Firearms License is NOT a CCW/CPL right? It merely makes it legal for an alien non-resident to shoot and hunt in Washington. IT IS NOT A CPL.
    Correct. However, it ENABLES an alien to obtain a CPL:

RCW 9.41.070: Concealed pistol license
    The license shall contain a description of the major differences between state and federal law and an explanation of the fact that local laws and ordinances on firearms are preempted by state law and must be consistent with state law. The application shall contain questions about the applicant's eligibility under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a pistol, the applicant's place of birth, and whether the applicant is a United States citizen. The applicant shall not be required to produce a birth certificate or other evidence of citizenship. A person who is not a citizen of the United States shall, if applicable, meet the additional requirements of RCW 9.41.173 and produce proof of compliance with RCW 9.41.173 upon application. The license may be in triplicate or in a form to be prescribed by the department of licensing.
    9.41.173 is the Alien Firearms License.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

5. Well now.

I just joined this site after reading the first 5 posts...
    I'm utterly amazed that so many people have been so horribly mis-informed...

If you're a Canadian citizen you ABSOLUTELY can get a CCW for the states...
    In fact, it applies to 31 different states currently.

Concealed Carry Canada
    Utah CCW Permit Application
    Everyone wants a Utah CCW Permit!

If you guys are gonna give this poor guy advice...
    The least you could do is learn how to use google.
    Although I can't say you did any better! Haha!
    Seriously though... If you're okay to it being limited to those states,
    then go get one! I'm going to be applying for one as well sometime.
    Hopefully this UTAH CCW will effect Canadians in their own country one day... Well at least one can dream! XD

Last poster must have removed his post but here is Florida's rule:
    Title XLVI
    CRIMES

Chapter 790
    Weapons And Firearms

View Entire Chapter

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.--

(1) The Department of State is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9). Such licenses shall be valid throughout the state for a period of 5 years from the date of issuance. Any person in compliance with the terms of such license may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm notwithstanding the provisions of s. 790.01. The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Violations of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25, payable to the clerk of the court.

(2) The Department of State shall issue a license if the applicant:

(a) Is a resident of the United States or is a consular security official of a foreign government that maintains diplomatic relations and treaties of commerce, friendship, and navigation with the United States and is certified as such by the foreign government and by the appropriate embassy in this country;
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Widowerks View Post
    As an NRA Instructor we are not even allowed to give a class or allow a non citizen to attend!
    However there are folks that have dual citizenship - have not dealt with that issue? Any one out there know about that?
    Bill
    As a legal Canadian living in the US who was born with dual citizenship it was quicker and easier for me to get my conceal carry permit than it was for my husband who was born in the US, nice arrogance by the way from the ones who felt the need to put Canada down, your grammar made it all better..

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Babyfj View Post
    As a legal Canadian living in the US who was born with dual citizenship it was quicker and easier for me to get my conceal carry permit than it was for my husband who was born in the US, nice arrogance by the way from the ones who felt the need to put Canada down, your grammar made it all better..
    Did you happen to notice that the poster to whom you responded here is no longer even a member of this site, and that the post you responded to was from May of 2011?

I believe the guy was mistaken on what NRA instructors were (or were not) allowed to do back then, but don't get how he was arrogant or put Canada down or used poor grammar to say what he said.

Otherwise, welcome to the site.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

9. Quote Originally Posted by Concealed Canuck View Post
    I'm wondering if there is a state that would issue a non-resident, visiting Canadian citizen. Basically I'm looking for legal means to get a "Concealed Carry Permit" that is recognized in mostly western states like Washington and Oregon. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I have no idea how this will play out for you, but just looked at the reciprocity map, and as a Texas with a license to carry, I can't carry in Washington and Oregon.
    Good luck and let us know how this turns out for you.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by jmohme View Post
    I have no idea how this will play out for you, but just looked at the reciprocity map, and as a Texas with a license to carry, I can't carry in Washington and Oregon.
    Good luck and let us know how this turns out for you.
    You're responding to a poster who only had three posts for his entire 2-day tenure here at USA Carry over May 10th and 11th, 2011.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

11. Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    You're responding to a poster who only had three posts for his entire 2-day tenure here at USA Carry over May 10th and 11th, 2011.
    No, I did not notice this. In fact, I did not even notice the text in the upper right that would have alerted me to this until your reply made me look.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345