Michigan non-resident permit?

Thread: Michigan non-resident permit?

1. Michigan non-resident permit?

Is it possible to get a Michigan non-resident permit? If so, what's the procedure?

I do a like of my bike riding up across the line (OH resident), and you can't go anywhere without ending up within 1000ft of a school... With just my OH license it appears that I would be in violation of the safe schools act even though reciprocity exists.

Michigan issues permits to Michigan residents only. Hope this helps,.

From what I was told, you are able to drive through the safe zones at schools, as long as you don't exit the vehicle or in your case get off your bike, you are not in violation. The instructor even said that if you are there to pick up your child, as long as you don't get out of the vehicle, you can legally carry concealed. I would still do some research, but I hope this helps.

The Gun Free School Zones act is a federal law, and quite frankly, I doubt most Michigan LEOs would bother you for that. After all, it is a stupid law too. The only people who worry about it are law abiding citizens like you and I.

I have traveled from Michigan to Indiana, and Ohio on my Michigan CPL, and I've been within 1000 feet of schools many times. So far, I was stopped one time within that area, and the cop who stopped me, didn't even mention the GFSZ act. He stopped me for a head light that was out, gave me a warning, thanked me for telling him about my license and my gun, and let me go.

Honestly, I would not worry over it very much. It's one of those things they charge you with when they've arrested you on some more serious charge, and just went to bring the feds into it.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

I apologize for misreading the topic in my last post.

Anyway, the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act was struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court sometime within the past decade or late 90s (I can't recall the exact year). Congress passed another version that doesn't apply to permit holders (unlicensed open carriers beware), so you definitely wouldn't be running afoul of federal law. State law, however, is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post

Anyway, the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act was struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court sometime within the past decade or late 90s (I can't recall the exact year). Congress passed another version that doesn't apply to permit holders (unlicensed open carriers beware), so you definitely wouldn't be running afoul of federal law. State law, however, is a different story.
    Permit holders of the state in which the school is located.

Gun Free School Zone 1996

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post

Michigan doesn't have a gun free school zone law. And the federal law, as has been pointed out by mrjam2jab was re-enacted in 1996. And only exempts permit holders of the state in which the school zone is located.

What I find interesting, the GFSZ act doesn't specify the level of the crime, nor does it mention prescribed punishment. In any event, the way I read that law, it's basically an add on, so that if you commit a crime with a gun, within 1000 feet of a school, it provides one more charge they can hit you with. I really don't see anyone getting charged with that crime alone.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

I agree with Big Gay Al youre usually not in violation of any GFSZ unless you enter a school with your firearm, or youve committed a crime within the 1000 feet of the school with your firearm, or what ever.
    I honestly think its a stupid law to begin with, most bullets travel WAY more than 1000 feet.
    Anyhow, I dont see you having any issues traveling past a school, even if you stop at a gas station which may be less than 1000 feet away, the way I have read the laws on that, your if your intention is to stop at any other local business within that 1000 feet you are not in violation, so being your sole intention is to visit some other establishment. You cant help that your path of travel takes you past any school zones or what ever. Hope this helps you a bit.
    Good luck.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.