Anything I can do about this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything I can do about this?

1. Anything I can do about this?

Hello All, First time in this chat. I live in Massachusetts and it is absolutely nuts when it comes to obtaining a license to carry concealed. I am a 53 year old disabled male bad heart and knee. So I applied for my class a large capacity license to carry under all lawful purpouses. Which it has to say so that you can carry concealed anywhere. I never thought I would have any trouble obtaining it because I had one in the 80's for protection of life and property. Well anyways I let it expire when I moved out of state. Well I have moved back to my hometown again which is worse then when I left. I specificly filed for for all lawful purposes when I applied.It went to tha Ma State Police then the FBI then the licensing board. The chief in this city has total control who gets one and who doesn't. Well he put down restricted for target and hunting. This really ticked me off.Why go through this 6 weeks of protocall for the chief to make the dicission no matter what the higher ups say. Any ideas. The gun shops in MA all told me the same thing. The Chief has the final say. Well all the gangbangers here have guns ect and a law abidding citizen that has never been in trouble in his life is denied. Something is wrong with this picture. Thanks for reading and hope I can get some help on this.

I'd make appointment with the Chief and ask him to explain how he makes the determination of who does or doesn't get a permit. If, after that explanation, you feel like you still fit in the "approved" group, I'd ask him what specifically prohibited you from getting one.

Then I'd pursue finding out just how many concealed permits he actually approves on a regular basis vs. how many he denies. I'd also get clarification on the appeals process.

It may be difficult to keep your cool, but you've got to, otherwise he'll be able to justify his denial based on some perceived anger issue on your part. This may all sound like "easier said than done" advice, but I really don't think you've got much choice, especially since he's the one with the power. Good luck and VOTE!

i agree talk to the chief face to face
    FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

I agree with the previous posts. Talk to the Chief. Having previously had a permit should help. If that fails, get politically connected locally (it is Massachusetts after all), put in a little time, and then have a Selectman work it for you.

Join a board or a committee. Some elected positions are never filled and you could run unopposed. "Elected official" even gets you to the front of the line for certain statewide events and hearings. Many appointed committees are never complete.

I had dragged my feet getting a class A. I had become somewhat connected in Town. I found out my Chief had applied for a position in a larger town, so I did the footwork and received unrestricted in the nick of time.

Naturally, almost immediately I moved to Tennessee where it was easier to get a Handgun Carry Permit than to get a CDL transferred.

6. Thanks for your help it's just so frustrating

I wanted to thank you for your opinion and point of view. I have started by looking into the appeal process and calling my local state senator and rep.. I also contacted the disability discrimination office in Boston who is checking who got licenses and who was denied. My local news paper and channel 12 news they call it call for action. I am far from giving up I believe in fighting for my rights by exhausting all of my legal avenues. I apologize for seeming to be angry in my statement. I am not really angry just frustrated with the whole situation. I have filed discrimination charges with the state government because I am disabled. They will be able to go through their files and see if there are any grounds for discrimination. If this is found to be true I will being getting an attorney to sue the city about this matter. Money seems to be the only way they will learn a lesson that poloticians work for us not us for them. God Bless and yes I do vote. Thanks Bob

Quote Originally Posted by diannabill View Post
    I'd make appointment with the Chief and ask him to explain how he makes the determination of who does or doesn't get a permit. If, after that explanation, you feel like you still fit in the "approved" group, I'd ask him what specifically prohibited you from getting one.

Then I'd pursue finding out just how many concealed permits he actually approves on a regular basis vs. how many he denies. I'd also get clarification on the appeals process.

It may be difficult to keep your cool, but you've got to, otherwise he'll be able to justify his denial based on some perceived anger issue on your part. This may all sound like "easier said than done" advice, but I really don't think you've got much choice, especially since he's the one with the power. Good luck and VOTE!

7. Talk to the Chief. But if he blows you off, I'd say "disability" is your best lever. This is not about fairness or public safety. This is about the Ruling Class not wanting subjects to carry arms. But in your case, I'd say a good ADA lawyer could make that Chief look very bad - and politicians hate that. Good Luck. (Don't suppose you'd consider moving out West?)
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

8. Quote Originally Posted by unbelieveable MA View Post
    I also contacted the disability discrimination office in Boston who is checking who got licenses and who was denied. My local news paper and channel 12 news they call it call for action.
    This is a great way to piss off the Chief and give him the reason to pull your permit all together. Take baby steps, and go through the process respectfully. Here in MA the Chief has "Sole discretion" of who does and does not get permits. He is legally covered to deny you an LTC for any reason he chooses. No way around it either until we get the laws changed. Join GOAL (if you haven't already) and call them for advice. I'd also recommend you sign up at Northeastshooters.com - Northeastshooters.com News because there's a ton of information of which towns are easy to get an LTC with ALP and which ones aren't.

Here are a couple links to get you started:
    Massachussetes Laws

Guide To Gun Rights in Your MA Town

You could move to a free state, away from the East German Border Police.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Provide the chief with proof of your bad heart and other disabilities. Sit down and have a talk with him if you can.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

BC1, could be the reason he was denied, Medical condition. Just saying, not supporting the Chief.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast