On sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    The bottom line still stays the same..... take care of me and mine.... all others are strictly situational AND at my option.

I spent twenty years of my life "protecting" this Country. At the time I thought it was a pretty noble idea. Seeing as to what we have/are turning into.... I am beginning to wonder if it was worth the effort.

Maybe it was the "ideal" of America I was protecting/chasing. (The reality never lives up to expectations. So much for high ideals.)

At any rate, and for whatever reason, the "White Knight Syndrome" has been quite sufficiently burned out of me. Thank you.

GG
    You were giving America a chance to get it right w/out outside interference. (That's how I look at it)
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    You were giving America a chance to get it right w/out outside interference. (That's how I look at it)
    Nah. Just turns out that our most "serious" enemies were internally produced. Turns out that Prez Kennedy was clairvoyant! "Ask not what your Country can do.....", etc. Did he see what was coming?

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

We seem to have two extremes here, the woman being raped while the heartless cc'er wanders over to check out the sales in the cracker aisle. The other side is the potential off duty cop in a shootout with a little old lady over her ss check. Okay, a little exaggeration but here is my point. Most gun fights last between one and seven seconds, and tending to the shorter times. Most incidents start with little or no notice. You have very little time to make the decision to draw your weapon and fire.
    What I think most people here mean is that before they pull their weapon they want to make sure they know the situation. That is very hard to accomplish in such a short time. Example: You see a man and woman in an altercation, you draw your gun and save her. She sees you threatening her husband and shoots you. Many cops have died this way. Is this guy a cop trying to make an arrest? I could come up with other examples but you get the point.
    Now, when you are protecting yourself or family it is a lot simpler, you know who the good guy is. Would I try to help a woman that was being raped? I like to think so. What would I do if I saw someone holding a gun on someone else? I'd assess the situation. It might be you, protecting your family.
    If I decided that best choice was to draw my gun it would be with the full knowledge that even if I was right it could mean bankruptcy and prison. All in all a tough decision to make in a couple seconds.

My best guess for this discussion is that I would make sure before I step in, Thay my own safety is secured, because I am of no help to anyone if I get dead. I would also prefer to know for sure exactly what is going on before steping into action.

I don't see myself as a sheep, sheepdog or a sheep with teeth... I'm more like a Hawk, just flying by minding my own P's and Q's
    I have the weapons to interact if I chose to, but I'm not out looking for sheep with or without teeth, wolfs or sheepdogs. I'm just flying around looking for stuff to eat, enjoying the summer breeze...
    Keep your paws off my Carrots and my guns
    My rules to live by Never trust a squirrel, never french kiss an ardvark and never bring Jumbo hotdogs to a nudist colony barbcue.

Personally I think the whole sheepdog analogy is feel good crap to allow people who've taken the initiative to arm themselves for their own personal self defense to delude themselves into feeling superior as they are now the protectors of the "Sheep".

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    Personally I think the whole sheepdog analogy is feel good crap to allow people who've taken the initiative to arm themselves for their own personal self defense to delude themselves into feeling superior as they are now the protectors of the "Sheep".
    Please refer back to post #6 of this thread.

The problem with the "sheepdog" analogy is that it is being used by people who don't know what a sheepdog is actually there to do. A sheepdog is not there to protect against wolves. The sheepdog is there to keep the sheep in line. He makes sure that they all get back to be sheared or butchered. The sheep dog is the farmer's guarantee that he makes a profit.

The sheepdog is not the Cavalry, he is the SS!

I really do wish we would quit using this analogy. Too many people saw the Sheepdog/Wolf cartoons!

For all of you Supermen, wear your tights and cape all the time, no more phone booths for changing!

While in PA for vacation I stopped at a restauraunt that served lamb.. accross the street was a farm with a large field in front. In the field were many sheep and with the windows open you could hear them clearly in the afternoon sunlight.. It took a few min. of listennig to them before I realized I understood what they were saying... EEEAAT BEEEEFF.. Go figure!
    Keep your paws off my Carrots and my guns
    My rules to live by Never trust a squirrel, never french kiss an ardvark and never bring Jumbo hotdogs to a nudist colony barbcue.

10. Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    So that woman getting raped and smashed in the face with a brick knowingly and willingly put herself in that situation? That little kid getting his arm broken by his abusive father does not wish to be saved? Some jerk is kicking a dog down the sidewalk and you aren't even going to suggest he stop? You are seriously telling me that your humanity has degraded to the point that your concern for your own comfort and safety simply can't be inconvenienced for the sake of another? I'm not talking about drawing on someone here, I'm talking about being slightly better than murderers and rapists and people who torture others for their own pleasure. You really can't say so much as stop? You really can't do so much as step in and help someone who can't help themselves? I guess chivalry really is dead. And I guess some random woman on a male dominated forum is the only one who actually has a pair. I'll be darned.
    I like this woman!!! I practiced martial arts for more than 15 years so that I could defend myself and others that need help. Over the course of my life there have only been a few instances of "actual self defense" needed on my part. the things that I learned included how to stay away from dangerous situations by using my head. However, for those few times that the dangerous situations found me, I was able to come out on top. Including the time I took a 9mm away from someone that was making threats with it. just because I now carry concealed, it doesn't change my outlook on self defense. It only adds to my toolbox in the event using my hands and feet (and my head) are not enough.

Oh, and by the way localgirl, chivalry is not dead. Just absent in a lot of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenCarryYes View Post
    I like this woman!!! I practiced martial arts for more than 15 years so that I could defend myself and others that need help. Over the course of my life there have only been a few instances of "actual self defense" needed on my part. the things that I learned included how to stay away from dangerous situations by using my head. However, for those few times that the dangerous situations found me, I was able to come out on top. Including the time I took a 9mm away from someone that was making threats with it. just because I now carry concealed, it doesn't change my outlook on self defense. It only adds to my toolbox in the event using my hands and feet (and my head) are not enough.

Oh, and by the way localgirl, chivalry is not dead. Just absent in a lot of cases.

You are the last dragon, you posses the power of the glow
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast