TERRIBLE decision pending for me... - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TERRIBLE decision pending for me...

There is an old saying all of us know, "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6". If it was me I would carry a very concealable gun and say nothing to nobody. I usually do not advocate breaking the law or workplace rules but it is your life and you CANNOT get a new one. Good luck and PLEASE keep us informed.

Better fired than buried.

Would you rather be unemployed or carried out of the office in a body bag? If the risk is that great get a small pocket gun or a ankle holster and carry that way.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Proverbial rock and a hard place! YOU are going to have to make the call on this one. I'd hate to see you do "time" on a bum gun rap based on MY advice. Just as I would hate to see you become a victim of a "going postal" nut case.

Ya pays your money and takes your chances. There ain't no guarantees, either way.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

6. I'll chime in, again; You should really try to get the facility to do what needs to be done, I'd suggest, you along with your office mates and a copy of the police report ( I assume she has talked to the police about this stalking situation, if she hasn't she needs to) need to go to management and tell them as a as a group that protection is warranted and why.

If they don't agree and do nothing you can escalate it. If still you do not get results then maybe I would consider carrying in your situation.

If the guy does kick in the door and is armed and you pop center mass you can say at least say that you tried all available avenues before you decided to carry in a no no zone.

Guys, while I like the saying "Better off judged by 12 than carried by 6" but I do snicker at it a little too. I must say that it is best to fight smart and not limit yourself to one weapon, a gun is not always the answer, there are things that can be done before you decide to carry to work. PS - There are things worse than death - which is why I snicker at that saying sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by darknetone View Post
    I'll chime in, again; You should really try to get the facility to do what needs to be done, I'd suggest, you along with your office mates and a copy of the police report ( I assume she has talked to the police about this stalking situation, if she hasn't she needs to) need to go to management and tell them as a as a group that protection is warranted and why.

If they don't agree and do nothing you can escalate it. If still you do not get results then maybe I would consider carrying in your situation.

If the guy does kick in the door and is armed and you pop center mass you can say at least say that you tried all available avenues before you decided to carry in a no no zone.

Guys, while I like the saying "Better off judged by 12 than carried by 6" but I do snicker at it a little too. I must say that it is best to fight smart and not limit yourself to one weapon, a gun is not always the answer, there are things that can be done before you decide to carry to work. PS - There are things worse than death - which is why I snicker at that saying sometimes.
    Yes there are some things worse than death.... Sleepin with bubba in da jail house.

I would recommend you try every avenue before you carry. You WILL be fired either way. They have to fire you just to keep up appearances. However, like you said, if you carry well and don't tell anyone (and I mean anyone) you should be fine. (Right?)

Psalm 82:3-5

Peregine Falcon, I understand the bad situation your in. In keeping Compliant with Carrying at work. And then your own personel Safety. Unfourtiantly for you.. You are the only one that can advise youurself on what is your plan of action.I would like to think that I can speak for all CCWers in saying that no matter what you choose we stand behind you 100% be safe& good luck

Lots of good thoughts and I appreciate all the well wishes...I just may need them. A post above suggested that someone they knew went back to the guy. Fortunately I don't think that will happen here; from putting details together on my own I think this gal actually moved halfway across the country to get away from the guy already and he's found her again (I could be wrong).

A couple details to add, most significant is that I weakened my potential to carry without being discovered today. I thought maybe this would be the opportunity I could take to have permission to carry at work so I actually showed my permit to the supervisor being threatened and the next boss up and asked if I should bring it to work. The one who was being threatened agreed but the other one wasn't so sure; she actually acted like she wasn't sure what the exact rules were but she was sure I shouldn't bring it. Her first statement was "I don't think guns solve problems." Fortunately they're the only two that know and one might not say anything if they did notice. The one that would mind doesn't actually see much of me so I could still likely get away with it. They both agreed not to share the discussion and I trust them both on that. That wasn't the smartest thing for me to do if I do decide to carry anyway I know but I wasn't thinking about knowingly breaking the rules at the time.

Several of you have mentioned concern about me carrying in a state government office and your concern is valid. I have read the snips of Iowa law on handgunlaw and it is most specific about carrying in the capital building; I'm not in the same city as the capital building/complex so I'm OK there. The ONLY potential "out" I have is that we work in a rented building so the property itself is NOT actual state property; it's privately owned. That might only save me some of the REAL bad consequences of carrying in a government office but I'd still likely lose my job.

I will agree with several of you in that I'd rather lose my job than my life but I'll also agree with those that said there are things worse than dying. Personally, I'm prepared to die when that day comes, my larger reason for carrying (overall) is to protect my family and they won't be at work with me. If not for those thoughts I'd probably be carrying at work without asking for any feedback.

I'll end these thoughts with three possible scenario's and how I would feel about them.

First, I decide to carry to work and do so successfully without anyone noticing. The creep shows up, presents a clear threat and I take him down. After that I have to face any and all possible consequences of carrying to work and shooting someone in defense of myself or someone else (including some of the worst possibilities mentioned above). I'm prepared to live with myself if all of that happens.

Second, I decide to take my chances and continue to go to work unarmed to protect my job. The creep shows up and I end up getting killed in the situation that unfolds. I REALLY don't want that to happen and am willing to take risks to prevent it but I can deal with that risk too overall.

Third, I decide to carry to work, end up discovered by the wrong person and face all the nasty consequences "for nothing." That would be a worst case scenario for me; even worse than facing death in a way. In that case I essentially accomplish nothing positive and could endanger the newly granted CC privaledge in my state with bad publicity. Somehow I don't think my story of carrying to protect a co-worker and/or myself from a legit and known threat will get me any credit even in the court of public opinion in this case.

Ok, that wasn't my final thought. I have to admit that the most likely worse case scenario for this whole story probably won't even involve me personally. This guy doesn't know me from Adam, he's after her only. If he does show up around my workplace it will probably be to stay out of sight but find her and follow her home. In that case this still ends up badly and I find out about it when I go in to work the next day. Him showing up during work hours with nothing good in mind is definitely in the cards though so I'm not done making this decision. I'll keep you all posted as much as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    Just as I would hate to see you become a victim of a "going postal" nut case.
    I have a problem with your use of "going postal" nut case to describe a domestic shooting spree / spree killing. The term "going postal" has only been used to describe the actions of someone who was employed by the USPS. I have yet to find a news report that used the term "going postal" to describe a work place shooting or any other shooting. So while people misuse the term "going postal" to describe becoming angry to the point of wanting to shoot someone, That is not the definition of it, if it was then there would be news reports using it to describe the shooter. All the news reports I found with the term "going postal" had to do with an employee or ex-employee of the USPS who did a work place shooting.

Just my simple thoughts about carrying and safety: REMEMBER you have a family to go back home to. If you got kids, how will they feel if you will not be able to come home and play with them anymore? What about your wife? What about your parents? and your friends whom you should be dancing and laughing with?

I'd rather carry than be carried.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast