Has CCW changed you/family and everday life? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Has CCW changed you/family and everday life?

Ahhh... The English Language.... So difficult to communicate inflection. (Trust me, I am NOT a great wordsmith!)

The original question was regarding the changing of my life in regards to CCW.
    YES.
    1. I don't do arguements. PERIOD.
    2. I drive better. Still too fast, but I make sure I don't tailgate. And if you wanna cut me off, knock yourself out.
    I used to be a lead with my nose and follow with the floor kind of a guy. Not any more. I can still rock if I have to, though. (I'm as good once as I ever was! LOL)
    3. I am the most mellow guy you could meet.
    There are a number of other things, but these are the most prevelant.

My family life has changed. - Initially, my wife thought I was a little nuts. Made a big deal about it. Then there was a young man killed /murdered at the gas station where we purhcas gas. (A young family guy filling his car up.) We live in a nice neighborhood, in a nice town, and this was a couple of miles from our house. Some idoit was playing police officer and pulling people over causing a mess. There was something like four rapes in a 4 week period during one stretch. One lady was attacked during the day time. I counted the number days in a row that shots were fired. There was a stretch of 10 consecutive days last fall. Apparently, we live between two major metro areas and two drug dealing groups of morons want our town. There have been shootings at Walmart which is right next to Lowes. The police are doing a great job. They simply can't be everywhere at once.

Now, my wife makes sure I can see the door and or parking area when we go out to eat. She helps me pick better clothes to conceal my weapons. Someday, I hope she will carry too.

The question: Has my life changed? Between God and carrying a weapon? YOU BET. You can make sure you have your credit card, I'll bring a pistol. Don't leave home without it.

Last point - I don't do special set ups on my EDC. I really don't think a car door is going to stop a jacketed hollow point. I don't see too many 50s and 60s cars that had real metal doors running around these days. And have to ask, what am I doing shooting at a moving car or from a moving car? Hit the gas and leave or move away from the vehicle. I really can't see a time that I would need to stop a car either. I'm thinking the liability would be huge and depending on the situation, possibly crimminal. I hope your friend doesn't have to have a conversation like this: Gee Mr Procescutor, I only shot 15 times. The bullets only bounced into 3 houses and hit 2 kids. Only one died, right? Just saying, maybe talk to him a little. I carry everywhere I am legal. He sounds like he might need some legal counseling.
    Good Luck!

Psalm 82:3-5

yup...

I agree. You make a good point and I agree with the fact that you don't let your gun be bigger than your brain. A CCW isn't a permit to be an *********. It's a permit to be safe and conscious.

Taz has a point.

A lot of people enjoy experimenting with different aspects of carry, but you have to be careful.

I've been reading up on some Massad Ayood, and he talks about how in certain circumstances, altering your weapon (i.e., lighter trigger pull, removing the safety) can make you look like a negligent shooter. True, there is no difference between you shooting a bad guy with a factory firearm or a modified one--either way you were protecting yourself. But a jury won't see it that way.

I think his bullet stacking could get him into trouble if it ever came down to the nitty gritty.

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    Taz has a point.

A lot of people enjoy experimenting with different aspects of carry, but you have to be careful.

I've been reading up on some Massad Ayood, and he talks about how in certain circumstances, altering your weapon (i.e., lighter trigger pull, removing the safety) can make you look like a negligent shooter. True, there is no difference between you shooting a bad guy with a factory firearm or a modified one--either way you were protecting yourself. But a jury won't see it that way.

I think his bullet stacking could get him into trouble if it ever came down to the nitty gritty.
    This was covered by Mas some years back at LFI. A prosecutor will generally tread lightly on changes like night sights or hollowpoints because they improve accuracy and reduce collaterol damage. But a plaintiff's attorney in a civil suit will try to pick an anti-gun jury as best he can. He'll try to make the defendant into a gun nut because he experimented with certain changes. His burden of proof is based on a "preponderance of evidence" not "reasonable doubt" and he only needs a majority verdict, not a unamimous one as in a criminal trial.

Two key isuues people should avoid regarding a personal defense gun are trigger changes and loading their own defensive ammo. Mas once wrote of a case where the defense ammo was a special light-load .38 cal for a small woman. She said her assailant was very close but the residue spatter and stippling on the goblin said he was farther away. The culprit was the light load. Once tested it was determined that the lighter load produced a reduced level of splatter/stippling at close range.

I wonder what her defense lawyer's bill was?
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I spend a lot more time pulling up my pants.

My wife still doesn't like it but she will help by leaving me the seat at the restaurant that hides my gun side. I find myself far less rude when I am carrying, which is too bad as I am pretty good with the zinger. I only carry when there is a possibility of serious problems. This policy works for my seat belt usage as well, why waste all that time putting on the seatbelt when you just wind up taking it off later. Seriously, after my midair collision I lost any thoughts that it couldn't happen to me. I am safer with the seatbelt, I am safer with the gun. I take the responsibility of carrying seriously just as I do with the responsibility of driving. Have I turned into a "gun nut" because I pack when I go to the store? No more than driving to the store makes me a "car nut".
    Has carrying affected my life? I'm sure it has. I certainly dress to hide my weapon. This is mostly because some people find guns unsettling. I feel it is rude to upset them needlessly. Of course this fat boy dresses to hide more than just a weapon. None of these changes seem any more significant than buying insurance for my car or home. If I am unlucky one day carrying a gun might be a life changing experience for me, but then not having a gun on that day could be worse. Pray that day never comes to any of us.

Quote Originally Posted by hazard123 View Post
    I spend a lot more time pulling up my pants.
    This the funniest so far... I love it! I got mountain of things to do today so I really shouldn't be here but thanks for making my day. This smile on my mug will last me a few days, at least....LOL
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Come to think of it, I do too. LOL... I have an holster that I wear inside my pants. It has a tight clip on it but I find that it causes the weapon to shift one way or the other and I do a lot of straightening it. I have thought about going to an outside holster that I run a belt through to keep in secure on my hip. The only reason I have not is because it will make it more difficult to conceal. The in pants holster also is more convenient to take it off when I want to go in to a place that has alcohol.

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    I am with you. I hope and pray (seriously) that I am never in a position to take a human life. I sometimes struggle with always being in "yellow alert" mode. Always looking here and there and forcing myself to be alert, no matter what. I spent 13 years in law enforcement and private security and during the years that I did not have a weapon it was nice to "get away" from always being in the mode of "situation awareness". The dangerous part of not being aware of your surroundings is that you open yourself and your loved ones to attack. It is a shame that we even have to worry about someone violating the sanctity of life and our security to get what they want.

Im a little behind on the forum due to my computer being down, but this topic and reading what the OP has posted concerns me. Im not going to condem anyone for not wanting to carry all the time, but I dont see the psychological viewpoint of having a cpl if you are not going to carry all the time. I know the op sees this as a personal attack but I completely agree that someone who does not carry all the time probably should not carry, and somebody who does not want to be in control of a life and death situtation should deffinetely not carry. The one time you leave that gun at home could be your last day to live when you could have used it the most, and lets say you did carry that one day; If your not mentally prepared to take another life in defense of yours and your loved one, you are a liability to yourself and your fiance. I might sound harsh, too oppinionated, or even arrogant, but this is how I view it. This is not a personal attack, just my honest oppinion.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast