Has CCW changed you/family and everday life?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has CCW changed you/family and everday life?

Has CCW changed you/family and everday life?

Been AZ CCW now for over 18 or so months. Somedays I carry somedays I don't. Sometimes my fiance tells me "oh leave that home" and I'm like ok.

But a few friends, 1 in particular, is what I call CCW crazy. No offense intended to him or anybody eles. Just talking here.

He spends his free time(not all of it) but some thinking up new ways to carry his magazines. He uses a Glock .40 G27. In one magazine he'll load the top 2 with some exotic hollow points, 3 lower are FMJ for "going through a car door" then he'll stagger the rest in some crazy order.

Here in AZ it's hot. Not just hot, FREAK"N hot! summer shorts, tank tops, crocs or flip flops. This guy refuses to wear anything but shoes in case "i have to run".

Now I'm not bagging on the guy, he's a friend and love him. But he's just CCW crazy. Great guy super, father but CCCW crazy. and know this. He's never been in a situation to use his CCW just loves gujns I guess.

Anyone eles let CCW maybe change the way they were before CCW?

3. I've been buying larger shirts to make CCW easier

think about it.

If you are unwilling to allow concealed carry to affect your life in a significant and serious way, I recommend you not carry. It implies that you are ready to remain in condition yellow pretty much all the time, and to make life and death decisions at any moment. Be honest with yourself and consider whether you want and accept that responsibility.

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    You bring up an interesting point. Having the ability to carry concealed (or open carry) does change how we think and handle ourselves. I personally think that it is sad that we have to be concerned about personal safety and that of our loved ones. We have to be concerned to the point of being prepared and able to repel attackers with deadly force. Life would be so much easier if we all just could get along. I know, I am drifting off into some weird fairy tale and so now, I will get my head out of that and back to reality.

I spent 13 years in law enforcement and private security in Texas and I am keenly aware of those folks who have no regard for the sanctity of life or living peaceably with their fellow man. Those folks (turds) do what they want and use whatever force necessary to make it happen with no regard for anyone else. That is the reality of the matter. Believe it or not, I spent a period of time without owning a weapon. I was still aware of my surroundings and still held on to some of the old habits like not sitting in a restaurant with my back to the door for many years. I guess that while I was no longer working directly in law enforcement or security I felt as if my need to carry a weapon was no longer necessary.

Fast forward to today and I now have two handguns and a shotgun in the house. My wife and son told me that they think that I am overtly paranoid. They feel as if nothing is going to happen to me or to them because nothing ever has. Maybe part of that is because we do not place ourselves in situations where the probability of something happen is elevated. The bottom line is this. Crime is on the increase and we see stories on the news all across our nation where home invasions are on the rise. Kidnappings, rape, murder, gangs running through the streets attacking people in broad daylight. I told my wife and children that they can stay in their false security bubble but that I decided to be prepared for the worse case scenario. I want to be prepared for the "what if" and hope that I am prepared enough for us to survive it and come out alive on the other side.

I guess different folks approach that in different ways. I think that most of us have a healthy respect for our surroundings and want to live to see another day and we carry because we want to be prepared. I have met some folks that allow the ability to carry a weapon go to their head and they feel a power rush almost to the point where they look forward to something happen so they can put their training (or lack of training) to use. What those folks do not realize is that violent encounters are just that, violent encounters that are nothing like what you see on TV or the movies.

Having said all of that we have a HUGE responsibility to carry. In a split second we may have to make the decision to take the life of another human being. If or when we are faced with that decision we must know in advance what we are going to do and that doing so will change our lives forever. It will be something that we will relive many many times for the rest of our lives. Knowing that should be a very sobering thing. Knowing that should make us smart and keep us from getting into needless situations that could put us or our loved ones in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig1911 View Post
    If you are unwilling to allow concealed carry to affect your life in a significant and serious way, I recommend you not carry. It implies that you are ready to remain in condition yellow pretty much all the time, and to make life and death decisions at any moment. Be honest with yourself and consider whether you want and accept that responsibility.
    Dude chill out. That's to deep. I'm trying to live and enjoy life. Not "make life and death decisions at any moment". I carry to protect my finance more than myself. Shees, gun people can be crazy.

Middle of the Road Viewpoint on CCW.

I pretty much agree with everything Sig1911 and Chiefpropellerhead have said. However, in regard to your friend - there's a point where preparedness becomes obsession, and it sounds like he's just over that line. He's read a few too many forums and is trying to be "tac-ti-cool" in his carrying.

I believe the more training the better. And yes, you do have to spend a considerable amount of time visualizing likely and unlikely scenarios, thinking through decisions ahead of time, rather than making them in the 2.5 seconds an average gunfight lasts.

But "punching through car doors" and creatively stacking magazines?? Come on. That's SWAT stuff. It's not likely he's going to be in a protracted shootout with multiple targets on foot and in vehicles. An average joe is far more likely to be jumped from behind by 1-2 muggers who just want to take his wallet and run like hell. Or come face-to-face with a burglar who thought no one was home.

Personally - I carry a S&W M&P 45 with between 20-50 rounds (2-5 magazines) of Remington Golden Saber +P 185gr hollow point depending on weather and clothing choices. Note: I don't ever expect to have to use that many rounds - but if you have a lot of pockets, you have a choice of where to grab in case you need a spare mag and can't get to the one on your belt. For the home invasion scenario, I have a Mossberg 12 gauge loaded with #1 buckshot.

I spend a lot more time obsessing on keeping my pistol hidden yet accessible, than on figuring some exotic (and probably useless) way to stack a mag.

Hope that gives some perspective. :)

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Very well said Phillip. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Icewind View Post
    Dude chill out. That's to deep. I'm trying to live and enjoy life. Not "make life and death decisions at any moment". I carry to protect my finance more than myself. Shees, gun people can be crazy.
    Then again YOU SHOULD NOT BE CARRYING A FIREARM. If you are unwilling to make life and death decisions at any moment! You take that upon yourself when you choose to carry a firearm, it's there to take a life should you need to, not to make you look or feel cool. It also does not protect your finance by choosing to leave the firearm at home. It's a lifestyle change to carry around a chunk of steel all day everyday(even carrying at home.)

Living in AZ with all the drugs,kidnappings, murders and boarder jumpers I would not leave my house with anything less then a M1A1 tank.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Then again YOU SHOULD NOT BE CARRYING A FIREARM. If you are unwilling to make life and death decisions at any moment! You take that upon yourself when you choose to carry a firearm, it's there to take a life should you need to, not to make you look or feel cool. It also does not protect your finance by choosing to leave the firearm at home. It's a lifestyle change to carry around a chunk of steel all day everyday(even carrying at home.)

Living in AZ with all the drugs,kidnappings, murders and boarder jumpers I would not leave my house with anything less then a M1A1 tank.
    1st red highlight, That's right, it is my choice and I make it when I make it.
    2nd red highlight, I don't carry at home, lol. I have my piece near by I'll admit but carry no.
    3rd, I live here in AZ and all the things you mentioned are from your friends at fox and that fear monger Glen Beck. and if you can't go outside without a M1A1, then everything you say you stand for 2nd ammend., freedom of gun, freedom or death..type stuff then you've allready lost.

This was a just a question. I didn't mean to get everyone crazy telling me "i better not carry" and I can feel a bit of anger. This is just a discussion.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast