Skinny guy CCW options
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skinny guy CCW options

1. Skinny guy CCW options

Hello all. I've lurked here a while, but recently joined when I started carrying. I've had my Alabama CCW for a while, but always just used it to keep my 1911 in the car. I've been carrying for a week now and I'm seriously disillusioned. I'm 6'4" and about 165 lb carrying an XD9 in a tuckable IWB rig. Being so thin already, any bulge around my waistband is noticable. I've been busted by a few friends that don't mind saying so, and now I'm self concious that strangers probably notice but obviously won't say anything. I don't want to carry less than 9mm. What can I do on a budget for a smaller rig that will hide better?

Small of back (SOB) with your shirt out. Shoulder holster possibly but that will require a undershirt to be worn.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I'm new to carry myself (almost a year now) and I've found there are a few things you can do to minimize obvious printing. For one, you could wear longer shirts, maybe even a size lager than normal. Try wearing shirts with patterns or colors that help break the outline of any possible bulging. Or, weather permitting, wear a light t shirt untucked with a button down collared short sleeve shirt over it. Those are the cheapest fixes. Also, shifting and picking at your clothes can be difficult for us newbies to catch & stop ourselves from doing, but that is usually the biggest giveaway. Get that under control and you're good. By now, most of my friends know I carry and never notice until I mention that I can't go certain places with them. Most of my family does NOT know I carry, and no one has been the wiser during holidays.

The other option is a new rig or new pistol. I can't speak on the rigs (I keep some secrets well guarded). I have looked into both the Kel-Tek pf9 and the Taurus 709 slim, both chambered in 9mm. Both have great reviews, and both have good records. Kel-Tek's customer service has almost all positive feedback, and spare mags are not outrageously priced. Taurus' CS seems to be a mixed bag, varying between people and they're spare mags ARE outrageously priced. They're very small compared to the XD (I carry the XDc45) and you do sacrifice the number of rounds. The trade off is a gun that you can conceal in jeans or shorts and a light t shirt in almost any position. I personally will be picking up a slim this week as birthday gift to myself. The slim also comes in the 740 model which is chambered in 40S&W, but some reviewers say the recoil twists a bit too much in that caliber.

I have never used one but I hear a lot of talk about a rig called thunderwear. That might work out for u

Quote Originally Posted by IamNhobdy View Post
    I'm new to carry myself (almost a year now) and I've found there are a few things you can do to minimize obvious printing. For one, you could wear longer shirts, maybe even a size lager than normal. Try wearing shirts with patterns or colors that help break the outline of any possible bulging. Or, weather permitting, wear a light t shirt untucked with a button down collared short sleeve shirt over it. Those are the cheapest fixes. Also, shifting and picking at your clothes can be difficult for us newbies to catch & stop ourselves from doing, but that is usually the biggest giveaway. Get that under control and you're good.
    +1 This is the best answer I could come up with. I carry a FS 1911. I am not a thin guy. I have the opposite problem. (More or less.) When I buldge, I really buldge. So, with the help of my lovely wife, we went to Kohl's and picked out a summer hawaii type shirts, some checkered shirts and a few others. (I am not a flower wearing guy, but it is the price you might have to pay. Besides, who's looking for the gun on the nutty tourist lookin dude?) When it is really hot I can wear a muscle t-shirt and one of those or a larger regular t-shirt and it covers up nicely. YMMV.

Psalm 82:3-5

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    I have never used one but I hear a lot of talk about a rig called thunderwear. That might work out for u
    Thunderwear = the worst idea ever. Not easy to get to your piece unless you wear a belt loose enough to let your pants fall down. And if you're not careful, you'll shoot your nuts off!!

check out the cell pal holsters, I considered them but it dosen't work because of my work.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Think you are skinny (that is aerodynamically efficient--thank you very much--lol). Am 6'2" 140 lbs. I carry constantly. Open carry at work (work for myself-move houses/buildings). Have never had anyone notice when carrying concealed. Use a a high belt holster with shirt out or jacket when dressed for social occasions. I do have an elastic chest carry but do not like it.

SOB, is the best, as with any holster they all have their advantages and disadvantages. I use the Paddle and going the the SOB as a crross draw as well. I have always carried at least two firearms, old habits die hard
    The Second Amendment is not about Hunting!!
    When the Government is afraid of of it's People, This LIBERTY
    When the People are afraid of the government, That is TYRANNY

Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    check out the cell pal holsters, I considered them but it dosen't work because of my work.
    Cell pal = almost as bad an idea as Thunderwear!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast