Self-defense shield - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Self-defense shield

I don't think it's a scam. I've been a member of USCCA for about six months now. Magazines always come on time - informative content (usually read it cover to cover). I've seen cross collaboration from Marty Hayes of the Armed Citizens Legal defense network and he was on their advisory board and I've also seen contributions from Rob Pincus as well. I doubt they would be involved with it in any way if it were a fly by night operation. However I do agree with demospec that Tim Schmidt's marketing is - lets call it "aggressive", and that sometimes turns me off. I tend to tune out those types of messages however they are annoying.

Not getting response back is usually a big red flag. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt for now since they just launched the Shield and are probably swamped. But on these issues I usually say "trust your gut". You might want to sign up for the Armed Citizen Legal Defense fund and the NRA insurance policy. You would get good coverage. $10,000 from Armed Citizen Legal Defense fund for initial defense, bail hearings etc + access to the fund for grants. The NRA policy would give you the insurance that will reimburse you when and if you're acquitted.

Umbrella insurance almost (if not ever) never covers criminal defense in a self defense shooting. They cannot offer insurance for a willful act and by definition the affirmative defense behind self defense is a willfull act (I shot him because he attacked me and was going to kill me- it wasn't an accident, it wasn't carelessness etc). Your umbrella policy will probably cover you during the civil portion because undoubtedly the plaintiffs attorney will claim negligence and that's usually covered in your umbrella policy. In fact even if the criminal trial showed absolutely no evidence of negligence they will still claim negligence because they want access to that fat umbrella policy.

You might check out CHLPP is a legal services membership organization for concealed handgun licence/permit holders . offered through Texas Concealed Handgun Association. at Texas Concealed Handgun Association . hope this helps.

Quite interesting, I will have to check that out.

5. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Failure to return your call is a bad sign.
    I do agree with you.... I am gonna go with NRA since they do offer self-defense insurance for up to 250.000 legal fees... NRA can not go wrong.....
    Thank you !!

I used to be a member of USCCA for many years. The only thing that comes on time is their magazine. I'd rather be here where we we have real freedom of speech. And yes, we have NRA insurance.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

I am so glad that this was posted on here as I have been debating weather to upgrade to the shield or not. I absolutely love the idea of the protection, but who says you will get it when you need it??????? I have been a USCCA member for a while now and I really like what they offer, but as we all know we do have to pay for what we get from them, but I do have to admit I do like the magazine. I do have to admit I do not like the aggressive marketing tactics they use, I deal with salesmen everyday at work and I CAN NOT stand aggressive salesmen that can't take no for an answer or will not leave you alone. After reading this thread I will have think on it for a bit longer. If anybody has any positive things to say about the shield PLEASE post them here. In the mean time I will check into the other groups, although I am familiar with the NRA. I am not familiar with The armed citizens legal defense fund.
    kerstingm, NRA Member, CCW Permit,CZ 75B, CZ 75PCR compact, Kimber Ultra Aegis II 9mm, Kimber Ultra Raptor 45, Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm S/C, Sig P229, Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Mag, Taurus PT1911, DPMS AR15, Mossberg 930 SPX 12 Gauge, Beretta AL 390 12 Gauge

8. Quote Originally Posted by demospec View Post
    Tim Schmidt is a guerilla marketer, just like Iggy Piazza at Front Sight. In my opinion, that taints everything either has to offer.
    I had to look up what guerrilla marketing was and you hit the nail on the head. I'm a member of the USCCA and although I like the magazine for the most part, I'm so sick and tired of the CONSTANT ( I can't state that enough) marketing that is sent to my inbox that I have decided not to renew my membership because of it. I sent them an email complaining about being constantly sold to right after he started pushing that business about securing your financial future. It kind of offends me when someone trying to sell me something implies that if I don't do it I don't care about my families welfare. I didn't get any reply regarding my complaint. the USCCA claims that they are about helping people but it sure "feels" like it's more about the sale than anything else. Pretty disappointing. Self Defense Shield sounds great but my lack of confidence in Tim Schmidt makes me very hesitant.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Omac View Post
    I had to look up what guerrilla marketing was and you hit the nail on the head. I'm a member of the USCCA and although I like the magazine for the most part, I'm so sick and tired of the CONSTANT ( I can't state that enough) marketing that is sent to my inbox that I have decided not to renew my membership because of it. I sent them an email complaining about being constantly sold to right after he started pushing that business about securing your financial future. It kind of offends me when someone trying to sell me something implies that if I don't do it I don't care about my families welfare. I didn't get any reply regarding my complaint. the USCCA claims that they are about helping people but it sure "feels" like it's more about the sale than anything else. Pretty disappointing. Self Defense Shield sounds great but my lack of confidence in Tim Schmidt makes me very hesitant.

You are ABSOLUTELY right! on the other hand, they will send you magazine each month since you have already paid for it.....
    NRA offers self-defense insurance/$165 year covers up to $100.000 , $254/ 250.000 plus your home insurance usually covers up to $300.000 liability ( this is for civil law suit after talk to the agents)

Reply to not receiving a call back might be bad thing

Actually failure to return you call, while frustrating is probably understandable...as they just started the defense shield last Monday and they are swamped. Give them another chance and either call them..again or email them.

I thought that it sounded good enough that I purchased the Gold coverage.
    Last edited by gonkrzy; 06-16-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: sent before finished

I too am getting pretty tired of the repeated hard-core marketing, with almost daily emails pushing the Shield program. In fact, I clicked the "Unsubscribe" button on the last one I received today. I am a member of Armed Citizen Legal Defense Fund primarily because of their coverage, and I figure I am intelligent enough to make my own choice about the USCCA Shield program without the constant barrage of insulting emails...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast