Self-defense shield
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Self-defense shield

  1. Self-defense shield

    Does anyone receive an email from Tim Schmidt from US conceal carry website usconcealcarry.com regarding join membership plus sign up with self-defense shield program...say...if you self-defend your life and shot someone....they will use their fund to pay your lawyer or they will point one for you at your State if you can't find one....sounds to good to be true.... because for as little as $400 year membership fee...you will covered up to 300.000 legal fees???? when I called customer service....no one ever return my call regarding my concerns....
    It just sound too good to be true....
    Last edited by lukem; 11-30-2012 at 11:30 AM.

  2.   
  3. Wrestling with it myself.
    Sure as shootin' (pardon the pun) I have an incident with a BG and they wind up injured or dead and the BG or his family sue me civilly for messing up their lives.
    You hear about it all the time.
    I know I can't pay for a lawyer to defend my LEGAL actions.
    So I'm about to take the plunge myself and pray I'll never have to use it.
    Not much different from auto liability insurance I guess.

  4. The NRA offers a self defense insurance seperate from the membership dues. Worth checking out. I would trust the NRA before something new starting out. NRA isn't going anywhere been there for years. If not a member check it out everyone with a gun should be!!! www.nra.org good luck with your decision.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by smudley View Post
    wrestling with it myself.
    Sure as shootin' (pardon the pun) i have an incident with a bg and they wind up injured or dead and the bg or his family sue me civilly for messing up their lives.
    You hear about it all the time.
    I know i can't pay for a lawyer to defend my legal actions.
    So i'm about to take the plunge myself and pray i'll never have to use it.
    Not much different from auto liability insurance i guess.
    thank you!!
    All the best.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oregon City, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    65

    Different Options for Legal coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by XDMAN40 View Post
    The NRA offers a self defense insurance seperate from the membership dues. Worth checking out. I would trust the NRA before something new starting out. NRA isn't going anywhere been there for years. If not a member check it out everyone with a gun should be!!! NRA good luck with your decision.
    I've signed up for it. Instead of going for the platinum membership I got the basic silver, but I'm also a member of the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network which includes a fund to help network members out in SD shootings. I'd rather diversify this way in case I have issues with one organization. From what I understand one thing that's different between the NRA policy and these are that the NRA policy is an individually underwritten policy and that's it. It's discoverable (which means the scumbag civil defense lawyer will know that you have that policy and for sure will sue you for that amount of liability coverage). Also I believe by law they can't cover your criminal defense costs until you've been acquitted (first dollar coverage or something). Their policy refers to criminal defense reimbursement. So you might have to sell everything to pay of the cost of defending yourself and If you win, you get a check from the insurance company.

    The self defense shield has a grant and insurance backed mechanism. If you're caught in a SD shooting you can apply for a grant to pay for you upfront criminal defense. It's not guaranteed - you have to apply. There are 2 reasons for this. If it was automatic a Pimp could sign up and claim self defense when he murdered his rival and would get the grant money. The Shield organization will need to judge that it's a reasonable SD situation. The second is they would lose their non profit status if it was automatic. If you're acquitted the Insurance policy kicks in. The CCW Shield foundation is reimbursed for the grant money and any additional money beyond the grant would pay for additional legal costs incurred. If you lose then you don't have to pay the grant back (but you have bigger problems there). So the idea is the grant helps you with upfront Self defense costs and the insurance will reimburse. Finally the insurance will also provide civil liability but this insurance is not discoverable because you're the beneficiary not the policy holder. That probably won't matter too much if you have umbrella coverage for your homeowners insurance because that will be discoverable (I assume)

    The armed citizens legal defense network is not an insurance or insurance backed thing. It's a network of firearms experts, pro 2nd amendment lawyers whose goal is to provide a supporting network to help a SD shooter in the case of a legitimate SD incident. If you're caught in a SD shooting, they provide $10,000 grant immediately to cover your initial legal costs - I believe this is automatic you don't have to go through a more formal grant application process. The idea here is that you get your defense team firing on all cylinders from the get go. That means not having to deal with an overburdened Public Defender in the first few days while applying for a grant because you can't afford a pro 2nd amendment attorney that has experience in this, and your attorney will be able to hire a private investigator to uncover witnesses etc. This benefit is based on that fact that what happens in the initial aftermath is going to have the greatest impact on whether you get let go, or charged, or eventually convicted. They will provide experts to review the case and recommend to your attorney strategies to employ (included in membership). They also have a legal defense fund that you can apply to. Again this isn't guaranteed or insurance. The fund has a pretty impressive advisory board though (Massad Ayoob, Dennis Tueller - of Tueller drill fame - amongst others).

    I've signed up to the shield and the Armed citizens legal defense network. I've got umbrella liability insurance which will cover me for negligence (which is always what a plaintiff's attorney goes after no matter what because insurance won't cover non accidental, non negligent i.e deliberate acts and all the lawyer wants is the money). I'd recommend signing up to 2 out of 3 (or all 3 if you can swing it). If you normally have a Starbucks latte every day - skip it and make coffee at home. That will save $750 a year - more then enough to pay for all three at max coverage levels

    The armed citizens legal defense fund is $85 a year. You also get a lot of educational material as well (DVD with Massad Ayoob on "Handling the Immediate Aftermath of a Self Defense shooting" is a must for all CCW holders). The USCCA shield is between $125 and $300 depending on Silver, Gold, or Platinum (higher limits). You get a great magazine and a great access to resources - similar to USA Carry).

    I see it as supporting a good cause and adding additional legal protection for myself
    Last edited by marcparis; 06-15-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Spelling

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlysharpshooter1 View Post
    Does anyone receive an email from Tim Schmidt from US conceal carry website usconcealcarry.com regarding join membership plus sign up with self-defense shield program...say...if you self-defend your life and shot someone....they will use their fund to pay your lawyer or they will point one for you at your State if you can't find one....sounds to good to be true.... because for as little as $400 year membership fee...you will covered up to 300.000 legal fees???? when I called customer service....no one ever return my call regarding my concerns....
    It just sound too good to be true....
    Failure to return your call is a bad sign.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  8. Quote Originally Posted by marcparis View Post
    I've signed up for it. Instead of going for the platinum membership I got the basic silver, but I'm also a member of the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network which includes a fund to help network members out in SD shootings. I'd rather diversify this way in case I have issues with one organization. From what I understand one thing that's different between the NRA policy and these are that the NRA policy is an individually underwritten policy and that's it. It's discoverable (which means the scumbag civil defense lawyer will know that you have that policy and for sure will sue you for that amount of liability coverage). Also I believe by law they can't cover your criminal defense costs until you've been acquitted (first dollar coverage or something). Their policy refers to criminal defense reimbursement. So you might have to sell everything to pay of the cost of defending yourself and If you win, you get a check from the insurance company.

    The self defense shield has a grant and insurance backed mechanism. If you're caught in a SD shooting you can apply for a grant to pay for you upfront criminal defense. It's not guaranteed - you have to apply. There are 2 reasons for this. If it was automatic a Pimp could sign up and claim self defense when he murdered his rival and would get the grant money. The Shield organization will need to judge that it's a reasonable SD situation. The second is they would lose their non profit status if it was automatic. If you're acquitted the Insurance policy kicks in. The CCW Shield foundation is reimbursed for the grant money and any additional money beyond the grant would pay for additional legal costs incurred. If you lose then you don't have to pay the grant back (but you have bigger problems there). So the idea is the grant helps you with upfront Self defense costs and the insurance will reimburse. Finally the insurance will also provide civil liability but this insurance is not discoverable because you're the beneficiary not the policy holder. That probably won't matter too much if you have umbrella coverage for your homeowners insurance because that will be discoverable (I assume)

    The armed citizens legal defense network is not an insurance or insurance backed thing. It's a network of firearms experts, pro 2nd amendment lawyers whose goal is to provide a supporting network to help a SD shooter in the case of a legitimate SD incident. If you're caught in a SD shooting, they provide $10,000 grant immediately to cover your initial legal costs - I believe this is automatic you don't have to go through a more formal grant application process. The idea here is that you get your defense team firing on all cylinders from the get go. That means not having to deal with an overburdened Public Defender in the first few days while applying for a grant because you can't afford a pro 2nd amendment attorney that has experience in this, and your attorney will be able to hire a private investigator to uncover witnesses etc. This benefit is based on that fact that what happens in the initial aftermath is going to have the greatest impact on whether you get let go, or charged, or eventually convicted. They will provide experts to review the case and recommend to your attorney strategies to employ (included in membership). They also have a legal defense fund that you can apply to. Again this isn't guaranteed or insurance. The fund has a pretty impressive advisory board though (Massad Ayoob, Dennis Tueller - of Tueller drill fame - amongst others).

    I've signed up to the shield and the Armed citizens legal defense network. I've got umbrella liability insurance which will cover me for negligence (which is always what a plaintiff's attorney goes after no matter what because insurance won't cover non accidental, non negligent i.e deliberate acts and all the lawyer wants is the money). I'd recommend signing up to 2 out of 3 (or all 3 if you can swing it). If you normally have a Starbucks latte every day - skip it and make coffee at home. That will save $750 a year - more then enough to pay for all three at max coverage levels

    The armed citizens legal defense fund is $85 a year. You also get a lot of educational material as well (DVD with Massad Ayoob on "Handling the Immediate Aftermath of a Self Defense shooting" is a must for all CCW holders). The USCCA shield is between $125 and $300 depending on Silver, Gold, or Platinum (higher limits). You get a great magazine and a great access to resources - similar to USA Carry).

    I see it as supporting a good cause and adding additional legal protection for myself
    Is there any contract to the SD shield program through USCCA in case something happened? so to make sure you will be protected in stead of wasting money and sit inside jail waiting for court date..... I have been contacting this org. and they told me they will contact me regarding my concern of this program...however, NO ONE ever get back to me..... Bottomline, I just hate to waste money when I really need help.... Just want to make sure it is not some kind of "SCAM"

  9. #8
    Tim Schmidt is a guerilla marketer, just like Iggy Piazza at Front Sight. In my opinion, that taints everything either has to offer.

  10. #9
    Check your home owners insurance if you have it. Some will pay, some won't. If it does it is pretty cheap to add umbrella coverage
    for liability.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
    Posts
    9
    I am not 100% sure but I think that you still will have to pay for a lawyer first and be acquitted before they can help.

    Here is part of what is covered:
    The insurance policy will provide criminal defense reimbursement for the reasonable and
    necessary costs and expenses incurred in connection with the investigation and/or defense of any
    criminal charge or criminal proceeding caused by the use of a firearm that is legally possessed
    after you’ve been acquitted of criminal charges or the charges have been dismissed. The amount
    paid is limited by the member level limits. Insurance companies cannot and do not sell “first-
    dollar” criminal defense coverage. This is why we’ve created the USCCA Legal Defense
    Foundation, Inc. The foundation can help you bridge this gap. (See below for more information
    on exactly how the foundation works.)

    To find the rest
    We're Changing The Course Of Concealed Carry & Self Defense History With Our June Announcement | USConcealedCarry.com
    Go down to the Frequently Asked Questions section and click on the Download Benefits Summary. Inside the summary explains that this is a reimbursement program and you have to be acquitted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast