No more Alcohol for me - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No more Alcohol for me

1. Reminded why i don't drink

I never did drink much, and did not make an effort to stop, but just haven't had anything to drink in a few years.
    My family recently had a celebration where we had an open bar. I was not driving and was in a state with oppressive laws and could not carry. So I decided to have a beer. I got just enough of a buzz that I realized I lack full coordination. I did not like not being 100% in control of myself.
    While I won't say I'll never drink again, I can't think of a time I might want to.

3. I have to agree that booze and guns don't mix. I had stopped drinking long before I got my carry permit. I'd rather be ready to protect myself or family than have a buzz on. Smart decision on your part.

4. I haven't gone 'on the wagon' totally, but I'm drinking a lot less. Note: I've made a couple of tongue-in-cheek posts on this site...but I'm being serious as can be here.

I could actually legally drink and carry in my state, provided it's in a restaurant (not bar), and that I don't get "intoxicated". But I choose not even to do that. I prefer to stay alert. What I'm about to say may sound a bit like mall-ninja talk, but bare in mind that I'm former LE:

When I started legally carrying again, I felt a bit of that situational-awareness that I'd learned in the military and LE come back. I prefer that heightened alertness to the numbing effect of booze. No, you won't find me looking for trouble or itching for a gunfight, and I don't play vigilante, or stick my nose where it doesn't belong. But I do keep my eyes open for threats, and am ready to use the weapon to defend myself or the innocent if the situation arises. I don't feel I'd be able to do as well after even a couple of drinks.

Before I carried, I played a lot of pool and drank too many boilermakers with my buddies. Now that I legally carry, it's coffee and pie at a little patio cafe near the pool hall. Many of my buddies from the bar have gotten their permits, and join me there on a regualar basis. CCW has been good for our health. I wonder what our waiter would think if he knew how much steel and lead comes in with "the regulars."

5. Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    I agree with you even if I don't drink often. I can't even finish a small bottle of Bud Lime. Drinking, driving and having a gun with you just doesn't mix. Here in Missou you can drink to your heart's content as long as you are in your own home and still have a gun. We have a good castle doctrine here.
    Your problem is you're drinking bud lime.

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Your problem is you're drinking bud lime.
    You are being funny... I am an Aussie and we are well known for our beer drinking prowess. Like EastOKHotRod, I have gone down the healthy way and drink just water and coconut water since I started carrying. Every now and then, the Aussie in me comes out of the woodworks. After not drinking for a good while, I find I can't finish even a small bottle of beer. I am not good with soft drinks, tea and anything that has caffeine either because of my acid reflux. Wine goes with cooking...always. Now if I can get rid of my other vice, I will be in heaven by now......(oh, I don't know how to phrase this last sentence...)
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

If I'm out to dinner and have a glass of wine, come get me..I'm not carrying! If I am carrying, not even one glass of wine or any "adult beverage"!
    Good to see so many here with their head on straight when it comes to this subject.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

8. Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Good to see so many here with their head on straight when it comes to this subject.
    So, those of us who will have one or two beers with dinner AND carry our guns as normal don't have our heads on straight?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    You are being funny... I am an Aussie and we are well known for our beer drinking prowess. Like EastOKHotRod, I have gone down the healthy way and drink just water and coconut water since I started carrying. Every now and then, the Aussie in me comes out of the woodworks. After not drinking for a good while, I find I can't finish even a small bottle of beer. I am not good with soft drinks, tea and anything that has caffeine either because of my acid reflux. Wine goes with cooking...always. Now if I can get rid of my other vice, I will be in heaven by now......(oh, I don't know how to phrase this last sentence...)
    I'm afraid to ask but what is coconut water? Does it go good w/ vegemite?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I'm afraid to ask but what is coconut water? Does it go good w/ vegemite?
    I don't eat vegemite. Not everyone does. Coconut water is self explanatory. Google it and see what you can find about it. It is a long story.
    G'day and Glock

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    So, those of us who will have one or two beers with dinner AND carry our guns as normal don't have our heads on straight?
    Drinking depends on your metabolism. There are some who can carry 4 drinks and yet still can think straight. I am one of those who will probably drink a glass of wine and dance naked on top of the table. Have I done it? Heck, no! But I do not want to find out.... I can wet my beak with a swig and that is all I can have ...
    G'day and Glock

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast