Printing
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Printing

Printing

Is printing legal with a cwp in SC? I have heard that it is and that it isn't.

Please Excuse my Ignorance, What is Printing?

printing

Printing is when the outline of the firearm is visible through the clothing but you are not actually able to see the gun.

Thank You, I kind of thought that was what it meant.but wanted to be positive.

I can't say for sure, but I suspect the "reasonable man" standard would have to apply. If you're walking down the street, minding your own business, and there's a little bit of a bulge poking out on your strong side...and an LEO sees it, but no one else seems to be noticing, then you've made a good faith effort to conceal, and you should be ok. The LEO may stop you and ask for your permit, and point out that you're printing a little, if anything.

On the other hand - let's look at the same scenario, except that you're wearing a thinner tighter shirt. So much that a passerby is certain you're carrying a gun and calls it in to the police. LEO shows up on the scene and can practically tell the brand of firearm from the outline. Now in that case, you're obviously NOT making a good faith effort to conceal...and more serious charges could result if open carry is prohibited in your state.

7. Nope

Unless things have changed since I moved out, I was told in my CWP class that printing was not concealing, and you could be slapped with brandishing a weapon if you're printing badly enough. So if you're carrying a double-stack and wearing a tight shirt...well, don't. :) But honestly, even if there's a bulge, you might get a knowing smirk from a LEO or another CWP holder, but most people are going to think it's a cell phone or something like that.

I think my instructor said most people that were caught violating the concealed part of CWP were caught because they were reaching for something on the top shelf at Bi-Lo and the bottom of the gun peeked out, not because there was a bulge right where a cell phone usually goes.

printing

Thanks for all the comments. It is quite confusing because an employee of a reputable local gun rage told me that printing is perfectly legal. I guess it's the degree to which you are printing. I'll conceal as best as possible to avoid these problems.

Dress to conceal...why look for trouble. Don't try to play the percentage game ie: your gun is 50% hidden...100% is the magic number. We legal gun owners already have enough to worry about!

You might ask this in the SC forum.... to get better answers from those more familiar with the laws there.The advice given so far in this thread is good though...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    I can't say for sure, but I suspect the "reasonable man" standard would have to apply. If you're walking down the street, minding your own business, and there's a little bit of a bulge poking out on your strong side...and an LEO sees it, but no one else seems to be noticing, then you've made a good faith effort to conceal, and you should be ok. The LEO may stop you and ask for your permit, and point out that you're printing a little, if anything.

On the other hand - let's look at the same scenario, except that you're wearing a thinner tighter shirt. So much that a passerby is certain you're carrying a gun and calls it in to the police. LEO shows up on the scene and can practically tell the brand of firearm from the outline. Now in that case, you're obviously NOT making a good faith effort to conceal...and more serious charges could result if open carry is prohibited in your state.
    Nicely put
    -Austin

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast