Newbie Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Question

Being uneasy at first is quite normal. Start carrying even at home a little bit each time until you get used to it. Prevent yourself from not touching your gun at all times but learn how to be alert and aware of your surroundings when you are out. Touching your gun often while you are out says "I have a gun..." Every little thing count...conceal is conceal. Practice...practice...practice.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

3. I can understand everyones point here as well. I'm in NY too and I tell ya, for the longest time I walked around wondering the safety issues. I'm unlucky enough to not have kids or a wife, but I do have friends I care deeply for. None of my family lives close to me so I'm left kind of on my own. I only been carrying for about 2 weeks now and my attitude has changed for a even better and more confident state. Is that to say carrying changed my mind? I don't think so, its more of knowing I have a better chance then before of survival. Every day I see more violent related news (robbery, shootings, stabbings) and I often couldn't help but think, thank God it wasn't me. I still think that, but now I know that I have a better chance.
    No one ever taught me to shoot, or how to do anything. I learned 100% on my own (watching training videos, getting opinions,) and at times, it seems people are not happy with that. But I'm confident and soon will be taking NRA classes to up my training.
    With all that said, everyday above grounds and no rounds fired.....its a good day in my book.

For what it's worth, here's my experience:

I obtained my first concealed carry permit when I was in my early 20s, and living in WV. It felt pretty natural at the time. There were multiple firearms in the homes of everyone I knew. It was common to see people driving around with rifle racks in the back window of their pickups. Some folks carried pistols openly (though this was much less common). It was no big stretch from there to carry concealed. I didn't have to worry too much about "printing" or "peeking out" because the chance of someone making a scene or calling the police was pretty much nil.

Fast forward to present day. I went for several years without carrying, then moved to Massachusetts. Later (for reasons I won't go into here) I felt the need to carry again, and obtained my Class A card. Massachusetts is very different from WV. People here really freak out and jump to all sorts of insane and wrong conclusions when they find out you own firearms. Many of them also assume that if you carry a gun, you must be a criminal or a drug dealer. In fact, recently, one frightened citizen called police about a guy carrying a rifle at the Burlington Mall, and it turned out to be an UMBRELLA. You can't make this stuff up!

For the first few weeks, I was TERRIFIED that someone would see my sidearm printing or peeking out and call the police, getting me arrested on a brandishing charge or worse. (Minimum 1 year jail time here I think.) I found myself compulsively tugging at my shirt tail, checking that the thumb break strap was still snapped -- all of which of course would draw attention to the fact that I was carrying...which made me worry even MORE...can you see the vicious cycle here?

It took time.. It took lots of affirmations from my wife. ("Honey am I printing?" "You can see something is there, but no one would recognize it as a gun sweetie.") It took experimenting with different holsters and modes of carry. And it took self-discipline to not "tug and pat" myself. But eventually I did get comfortable. I know my firearm is there...but I no longer feel like I'm walking around with my zipper open. :)

Jeff...I'd say you're being very wise and are perfectly "normal". The vast majority of us felt the same way when we first started carrying.

When I started carrying (20+ yrs ago), I felt the same way. Then someone reminded me that, "When you're in danger, a cop is only a phone call and fifteen minutes away."

Good post...BTW

Just want to make sure there is nothing weird about me. Thanks for your feedback. Please be gentle!!!!

You sound pretty sane and reasonable to me. As far as living in a nice area and leading a life that that doesn't include frequent car chases and firefights influencing your carry habits - You don't race at LeMans or flee from the police but you still wear your seat belt. Every day the world gets a little more insane. You have chosen not leave the decision whether you and your family live or die up to a professional sociopath.
    Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat. There ARE things to be feared more than death. The fyrd is a Constitutional imperative.

Thanks Lowjiber and revjen45.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12