question about going to another state with my handgun.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about going to another state with my handgun.

1. question about going to another state with my handgun.

I am going to fly to Austin soon. I have a valid NY CC permit as well as Utah non-resident permit. Do I need to notify or apply for permission to bring a handgun with me?

Quote Originally Posted by James L Duke View Post
    I am going to fly to Austin soon. I have a valid NY CC permit as well as Utah non-resident permit. Do I need to notify or apply for permission to bring a handgun with me?
    Yes. You must declare to the airline ticket counter personnel that you are transporting an unloaded firearm in a locked hard sided case in you checked baggage.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

As NavyLCDR said you must declare your weapon to the Airline Also there is an form you must fill out. Your suit case must have an seperate locking devise than your gun storage box. Each Airlines has different regulations that are posted on their Web Site.Its best to check these Regs out and then call them.

So far as being in Texas with your NY permit is concerned, you're good to go. Texas honors the permits from almost anywhere... just have to follow the local rules (no open carry - yet, and watch the printing). I drove down from NY myself, and of course followed the federal transport guidelines with no issues.

Check for local regs too

I'm also getting ready for a trip but to Indiana. Make sure that the case is TSA approved. In my research, some people had trouble with certain kinds of cases. Not sure if the airlines still do, but they might still sell cases. Also, make sure to check on local regulations too. Just in case. Example, in Indiana, only state resident permit holders can keep a handgun in their vehicle. Let us know how things go.

Quote Originally Posted by guardianfirearms View Post
    I'm also getting ready for a trip but to Indiana. Make sure that the case is TSA approved. In my research, some people had trouble with certain kinds of cases.
    There is no such thing as a TSA approved gun case. If a gun case is sold as "TSA Approved" they are only using such a label to jack up the price. Like buying magazines or ammo that is marked "LEO use only". The requirement is that the case must be able to be locked in such a way that the firearm cannot be easily removed without using tools to open the case when the lock(s) are installed. TSA does not test gun cases nor approves gun cases.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

8. Quote Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
    As NavyLCDR said you must declare your weapon to the Airline Also there is an form you must fill out. Your suit case must have an seperate locking devise than your gun storage box. Each Airlines has different regulations that are posted on their Web Site.Its best to check these Regs out and then call them.
    A couple of important things to add from my last experience:

1. Lockable hard case (something like a Pelican box since they make them small enough to hold a Glock 26), so that YOU are the only person with the key(s). I tend to suggest a box that you can put multiple locks on, if it has an internal lock hopefully it will allow an external lock as well.

2. Find a way to tie it to the inside of your checked bag. If you can use a metal cable that's great. An ink pen can be used to open any bag with a zipper, thus the suggestion for securing it to the inside of the bag.

3. Take the Airline's regs and the TSA's regs with you in printed form, you never know when they'll be handy.

4. Print out the applicable carry and use of force laws for Texas and keep them with you. Remember, the only website(s) that can help you in a legal defense are the Attorney General's site and official Texas government site with their actual laws.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    There is no such thing as a TSA approved gun case. If a gun case is sold as "TSA Approved" they are only using such a label to jack up the price. Like buying magazines or ammo that is marked "LEO use only". The requirement is that the case must be able to be locked in such a way that the firearm cannot be easily removed without using tools to open the case when the lock(s) are installed. TSA does not test gun cases nor approves gun cases.
    I'm not trying to sell the guy a case. Just make sure to use a case according to the TSA "regulations". The TSA does inspect all cases and either "approves" or "denies" the case. If they accept it, would that not be TSA "Approved"?

Call your airline ahead of time and ask for instructions. Some carriers have you check your gun at a different location, not at the main terminal. Don't just walk up to a ticket counter with a gun. Also stay out of NYC airports (LaGuardia, JFK).
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

11. Quote Originally Posted by guardianfirearms View Post
    I'm not trying to sell the guy a case. Just make sure to use a case according to the TSA "regulations". The TSA does inspect all cases and either "approves" or "denies" the case. If they accept it, would that not be TSA "Approved"?
    I assumed you meant make sure to buy a case that is marked TSA Approved as part of the marketing/packaging. The TSA does not pre-approve cases to be used for airline travel. You are correct, they inspect gun cases at the airport to ensure they cannot be easily opened and the gun removed.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Call your airline ahead of time and ask for instructions. Some carriers have you check your gun at a different location, not at the main terminal. Don't just walk up to a ticket counter with a gun. Also stay out of NYC airports (LaGuardia, JFK).
    Respectfully, when you call to find out info, you place yourself at the mercy of the knowledge (or lack of knowledge) of the person on the other end of the phone. It would be better to obtain the written policy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast