Why get a non resident permit?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why get a non resident permit?

Why get a non resident permit?

I have seen mentioned that some get a non-resident CCW permits for multiple states. I guess I am not in the loop with these as I have never heard of them until I joined here. What I don't understand is why? I am a Missouri permit holder. The permit I hold is honored by just about every state that has legal concealed carry laws, and I am interested in traveling to.
    What's the purpose?

Because not all states honor all other states permits. For example: I have a VA ccw that is honored in a lot of states but MA and NH are that do not. So I am in the process of getting them as I have family in both and travel there often.

I have a South Carolina permit. South Carolina and Georgia do not recognize each others permits. Since I travel to Georgia frequently I needed a permit that is recognized by Georgia. So I got a Florida permit which is recognized in Georgia.

5. Welcome Tom

I live on Ga., SC does not recognize Georgia, but Fla. does recognize Ga. and SC. So I am going to apply for a Fla. permit for when i travel north. Simply amazing how these poly tics screw with us all the time.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

What he said--more states honor my Utah permit than would honor an Idaho permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomhusker View Post
    I am a Missouri permit holder. The permit I hold is honored by just about every state that has legal concealed carry laws, and I am interested in traveling to.
    What's the purpose?
    Not everyone has a Missouri permit nor has the interest in traveling to the same states as you do.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

SC does not recognize non res permits

SC requires you to be a resident of the state for which you obtain the permit so if you're a FL it will work otherwise it won't - don't find out the hard way

SC let's you get a NR permit if you own land there

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Not everyone has a Missouri permit nor has the interest in traveling to the same states as you do.
    No ****. I was using it as an example. Thanks for your input.

PA borders 6 other states...of those only 1 honors a PA license.

Spreading out a little further....PA license is honored by 26 states. By getting a CT, UT and AZ permits the number gets bumped up to 39 states I can travel to. That goes to 40 July 1 when NV honors AZ, and then 41 when WI new law goes into effect around Nov 1, 2011.

To bring it closer to home for you....let's say you wanted to visit CT or ME. Neither of those two honor your MO permit...so you would have to get those permits to carry in those states.

Sorry to be dense but I thought WI law on carry will be signed after July 4th in time for Airventure? -- No trip to WI this year then...again! GA will not be bad to go to for next month's trip since we all have a FL permit each...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast