Why trust that gun?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why trust that gun?

Why trust that gun?

I know people that have bought guns and carry them but have not shot more than a few rounds through them.
    Why

Seems like a bad idea. I wouldn't carry any weapon without adaquate fam-fire time. Now your definition of how much practice time is adaquate might be diferent than mine, but I agree that you should do some test firing of your carry piece.

It is not a matter of just shooting the firearm you plan on using for self defense, but when you practice one should shoot at least a box of 20 rounds that you plan on using for self defense. It would be one hell of a note if one did have to use that firearm and the JHP, whichever brand you prefer, just to find out that the firearm, semi auto jammed. Or, to find out the recoil was far more than you ever felt throwing your shots off it's target. What may be even worse if the person is shooting a revolver and has not shot it, revolvers are not exactly the easiest firearm to accomplish without practice.
    The Second Amendment is not about Hunting!!
    When the Government is afraid of of it's People, This LIBERTY
    When the People are afraid of the government, That is TYRANNY

My carry piece has had more that 100 round put through it by me*, and at least 40 of those rounds were the same as the SD rounds that I carry in it.

You have to make sure that the weapon is reliable with the ammo that you carry. If I am going to carry the thing I want it to work!

* When I first started carrying it, it has now have closer to 600 total rounds thru the barrel.
    Kershaw Shallot 1840, Kel-Tec P-3at, Kel-Tec PF-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible), Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge.

To date, my little .380 has had around 300 rounds put through it. My choice 9mm has had about 750-800 rounds through it...

Just waiting for the range to open to go out again :)

I wouldn't put too much trust in a gun I don't practice with often...

But hey, the gun will go off at least once right, that might be enough in that situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    But hey, the gun will go off at least once right, that might be enough in that situation.
    It might, but I won't count on it doing that either.
    Kershaw Shallot 1840, Kel-Tec P-3at, Kel-Tec PF-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible), Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge.

Agreed. I practice use of safeties, hammer cocking, decocking, racking, reracking, mag changes and clearing rounds from the chamber blindfolded (with "snap cap" dummies, of course) to be sure I have a "handle" on the use of the weapon in pitch darkness. (Little trick I learned in the military.)

To be really thorough, I suppose I should practice field stripping in the dark, but if that recourse is the only action I have left to me to "stay in the fight", I'm probably screwed anyway. It IS, however, what they make BUGs for! (Heh heh heeeeeeh!)

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

My G19 has over 5000 rounds through it. From my work at a range/gun store to over 100 hours of private range training, I believe I am familiar with my carry piece.

The simple fact that this gun functions 110% of the time, coupled with my knowledge of the interworkings of this firearm...

How could I trust my live, my families live, to anything less!!!!!!

Does this answer the question.

Don

Exclamation

I've only put about 5 rounds through my M&P 45. Why? I bought it used, in "appears to be unfired" condition as per the gun shop. (I had just sold my reliable but "underpowered" Makarov 9x18mm that I had carried for years, to get something with a little more oomph to the cartridge.) I carried it for about 2 weeks before finally getting to the range. When I finally got there - NO BANG. After working with it a bit, racking the slide, etc - it would fire intermittently only. Thinking (insanely) that the trigger pull might just be WAY more than I'm used to, I had one of the guys at the range check it. He got the same results, so now the firearm is back with S&W getting an overhaul.

On the SAME DAY, I decided to put my "backup" through its paces - a Charter Arms .38 Special undercover model, manufactured circa 1969 from the serial number. I had bought this gun for my mother back in 1994, and inherited it from her upon her death last year. After about 15 rounds, the cylinder latch retaining screw fell out! Charter Arms was great about it - one phone call and the screw is on its way, free of charge.

But - ONE BAD DAY at the range was enough to leave me completely disarmed. I'm not a collector...so those were the only two pistols I owned.

Not anymore. While waiting on S&W to return the .45 and Charter to mail me the screw for the .38, I bought another old gun - a Ruger GP100 revolver in .357 Magnum with a 4 inch barrel. I took it to the range the NEXT DAY and put about 160 rounds through it - about fifty .357 FMJs, a hundred .38 Special FMJs, and some assorted leftover .38 and .357 rounds that I had lying around the gun safe. The gun fired 100% and is now my primary carry gun.

Once I get the .45 back - I'll be doing the same thing with it, only more like 200-300 rounds on the first day. Any failures, and it's either getting sold, or going to my local custom gunsmith to get the bugs worked out. It has to be flawless before I trust my life to it.

So - lessons learned:

1) S*** CAN AND DOES HAPPEN. Better that it happen on the range than in a self-defense situation.

2) Just because your firearm comes from a highly regarded local dealer with a sterling reputation doesn't mean it's in working condition. Obviously this shop had not checked out my M&P in any way before it went out the door. TAKE IT TO THE RANGE RIGHT AWAY.

3) Don't sell a firearm you KNOW is reliable. I'm still kicking myself for selling my little Makarov. I shot who-knows-how-much ammo through that thing with NEVER a failure to feed or fire. Should have kept THAT as a back up gun.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Know how you feel. I have (had forever) a "Hi Standard" .357 six shooter, Sentinel Mark III, with a 5 1/2 inch barrel and adjustable rear sight that I bought used from a friend in 1980. (Before the proliferation of "paper work" was required.) Deadly accurate, even at 60 yards. It sits in my safe now, loaded and ready for "work" and I still "fam fire" it every other month or so.

Now, this weapon is NOT my primary, either for carry or for home defence. I would sell it off..... EXCEPT, there is no "paper trail" anywhere showing that I own this particular gun.... Thus, I would still "own" it even if a complete ban and confiscation went into effect.

AND.... I am a strong proponent of the old theory "If it ain't broke, don't fix it or replace it."

(Probably why my most recent vehicle is nine years old and my "pick 'em up" truck is fourteen. They just WON'T "break"!) LOL!

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast