Need more training! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need more training!

DHughes,
    Two comments here...
    1) You said, "Shoot and shoot again! Hopefully you'll hit something. Hopefully not an innocent person that is behind your target. But they were a casualty of me exercising my rights. Too bad!" You were, of course, speaking as though you were one of the "gun nuts" you so obviously loathe. However, you are sadly mistaken. The Constitution of the United States of America guarantees me, a Citizen, the right to bear arms. It does not, repeat NOT, guarantee me the right to kill an innocent bystander. As any student of the law will tell you, MY rights end where YOURS begin...and vice versa. People who believe as you stated are not wrong because they love guns; they are wrong because they do not have even the most basic understanding of liberty, freedom, and the rights given to every man, woman, and child.

2) You said, "To obtain a basic drivers license is easy and requires no advanced training or courses. To obtain a license to drive a bus or fly a plane requires extensive training. We carry GUNS! Figure it out!!!" How sad that you think this way.
    First, neither driving an automobile or flying a plane are specifically protected by our Constitution; owning and carrying (bearing) a firearm, however, is protected.
    Second, regarding the lethality of guns and cars, you have these exactly backwards. In 2008 there were 9,484 murders via firearms in the USA (source: US Census). Also in 2008, 37,261 people were killed in automobile accidents. Amazing! Death by auto is some 293% higher!

Learn, my friend. That is the only way to grow.

3. All I'm trying to say is that there is a huge responsibility that goes with carrying a firearm all the time. I feel the weight everyday. I carry everyday. I also recruit people to obtain there license to carry everyday. I stated in my initial statement that I don't like the Govt. mandates at all. I'm not talking about infringing on our right to bear arms. The Govt. already has more than enough infringements already and I dont want anymore. Having said that, is it really that terrible to say that a 3 hour tactical training course should be part of the curriculum in obtaining the license? At least then the instructors out there that do the 1 shot at the range to "qualify" would have to actually teach their students something. If they know anything to begin with. And to the person that said said they will figure it out soon enough or die trying, you should figure some stuff out. Im not concerned about the untrained person doing the shooting being killed " figuring out" what to do. I'm concerned for the innocents around that get struck by stray bullets. And I know that the statistics show it not to be an overwhelming problem NOW. But, we all know that things are getting worse and the statistics will too. Everyone that is legally eligible to own and carry a firearm SHOULD and no organization should ultimately stop them. Just properly train them. Is that too much to ask?

You can take an experienced shooter with lots of range experience, put him in a tactical class and he becomes a chimp in over-sized sneakers. Seen it hundreds of times over the years. Some shooters will need lots of practice an training while others have a natural dexterity. I believe there should be more training. NY has no training requirement in the law but most counties require "NRA First Steps Pistol" prior to obtaining a permit. Yet NY won't let them shoot in the class. Makes no sense. It's like giving a driver's license to someone sho has only SEEN a car but never driven.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

This thread is a repeat of one I was involved in a while back.

Neither side has changed their mind one bit. And it was that thread that started to sour me on this forum. I agree with some, disagree with others, and I personally think some of the posters here are real jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by DHughes757 View Post
    To obtain a basic drivers license is easy and requires no advanced training or courses.
    Really? where the hell do you live? I went through 8 hours of classroom training and learning traffic rules and law, and 8 hours of driving time, plus my road test with a pissed of state trooper staring at me from the passenger seat. And that was 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    Really? where the hell do you live? I went through 8 hours of classroom training and learning traffic rules and law, and 8 hours of driving time, plus my road test with a pissed of state trooper staring at me from the passenger seat. And that was 15 years ago.
    It's the same way in CT, PA and SC, FWIW.

8. Florida. We have to take an 6 or 8 hour class before getting a learners permit but it's about drugs and alcohol. At least that's what it was 14 years ago. To get the regular license we do a road signs/ laws test and then a very simple driving test. It's all very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by DHughes757 View Post
    All I'm trying to say is that there is a huge responsibility that goes with carrying a firearm all the time. I feel the weight everyday. I carry everyday. I also recruit people to obtain there license to carry everyday. I stated in my initial statement that I don't like the Govt. mandates at all. I'm not talking about infringing on our right to bear arms. The Govt. already has more than enough infringements already and I dont want anymore. Having said that, is it really that terrible to say that a 3 hour tactical training course should be part of the curriculum in obtaining the license? At least then the instructors out there that do the 1 shot at the range to "qualify" would have to actually teach their students something. If they know anything to begin with. And to the person that said said they will figure it out soon enough or die trying, you should figure some stuff out. Im not concerned about the untrained person doing the shooting being killed " figuring out" what to do. I'm concerned for the innocents around that get struck by stray bullets. And I know that the statistics show it not to be an overwhelming problem NOW. But, we all know that things are getting worse and the statistics will too. Everyone that is legally eligible to own and carry a firearm SHOULD and no organization should ultimately stop them. Just properly train them. Is that too much to ask?
    So, ok, you're worried about innocents getting struck by stray bullets. Florida started the "shall issue" movement in 1987 and it has taken off across the country since then. So, plenty of years of statistics available. If, as you say, it's not an "overwhelming problem, NOW..", then what makes you think it's gonna be a problem in the future. What the hell does "...we all know that things are getting worse..." mean? How? Care to cite some stats or projections to support whatever the hell it is you're trying to say here?

You state you don't like gov't mandates and infringements but then go on to claim that we need additional ones to force training. Can't have it both ways.

Your argument appears to be that we should have further infringement because of a situation which might exist in the future.

Maybe your concern is for a problem which doesn't exist.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

10. It's pretty obvious that you're out of touch with reality and don't have any concern for the well being of the general public. If you really have a problem with good solid training in order to carry a firearm then you most likely are lazy and don't train on your own. So I can see how you would have an issue with a required training curriculum as part of the process for attaining a permit. As far as things getting worse, I don't have to prove via statistics that murders, robberies, forceable felonies, and the overall crime rates are on the rise. If you don't realize that on your own then you must have your head in the sand.
    I went to a gun show nearby last week and they had over 300 individuals taking the concealed weapons course. To that I say awesome! Own a gun, carry it, defend yourself, practice your rights as a US citizen! What I don't agree with and NEVER will is that from the gun show, all 300 plus attendees went to the local gun range and as part of their " qualifying" shot ONE round from a .38 revolver. ONE! It didn't matter if they even successfully hit the target. They were filing up to the firing line, shooting ONE bullet and walking away. That was "qualifying". That's troubling. I saw it with my own eyes. Do I feel that to OWN a firearm there should be required courses and mandates etc? ABSOLUTELY NOT! NO WAY! Do I feel that to CARRY a firearm on your person during the course of your daily life that you should have to be better trained and prepared to use it, beyond firing ONE round at a stationary target? Absolutely yes I do. Why anyone would have a problem with that concept is unbelievable. Why is it so horrible to have (as I previously suggested) a 3 hour hands on weapons training course that would better familiarize license holders with firearms and tactics? Other than maybe the person(s) are totally paranoid about the Govt. and have issues.

If you need training then get training, please. If you don't need training then don't get training. Common sense can go a long way
    The scariest words in all existence
    "Depart From Me, I Never Knew You"
    - Matthew 7:23 -

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123