Need more training!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need more training!

1. Need more training!

I really feel that there should be some additional training that is needed to obtain and renew your CCW license. I got my CCW and immediately began training. I started getting in range time, tactical training, and home practicing my draw and sight acquisition. I now feel more equipped and prepared. To have a CCW is a right and a responsibility. I don't think a person should be armed and unprepared. To me they are more armed and dangerous than they actually realize. Any thoughts? Oh and I hate when we as Americans are ruled over by our Govt passing down mandates, but some sort of responsible training beyond the initial class trip to the range to "qualify" with a weapon should be in place. It's a fine line I know. So please don't get me wrong.

Basic instruction is not enough to carry. Ky requires more law knowledge than shooting knowledge. I spend alot more time with my classes on the range than required. THEN, I ask them to get into a training class somewhere, if not in mine! I've talked people out of getting their CCL because they are not ready mentally. I really don't want the state to decide how much I train, but can't say it would be a bad thing.

I wasnt required to even touch a firearm in order to get my permit. (Granted in my county they are issued with hunting/ target restrictions right off the bat so you cant carry whenever you want...) So I agree. More thorough/ rigorous training couldnt hurt.

5. I agree that training is essential but I don't want the gov telling me how much range time I have to get in before I can be permitted. Another problem w/ that is big brother will be tracking how much you train and you might become a bright blow on their radar, don't want that either, like they don't already monitor all these forums. For the person that already has the CCW, you're dang right. Train, train, train. I'm headed to Front Site in Nov for another 4 day day combat course. $69.00, yes I said $69.00. Watch their site for specials.

6. My daughter and I took the CCW training from a police officer and a SWAT team member. I am not sure what kind of training the person breaking into my home at night has? or trying to hold me up in the parking lot at the mall or at Wal-Mart. I am training all the time, and she is dating a police officer who is helping her. No, we are not professionals, but yes we are armed for a home invasion where as before we were not. Chances are the invader will be surprised. We have had home invasions on the increase in our area and two weeks ago a home owner shot and killed a 17 year old trying to break into his home. The 17 year old was armed, as were his 3 other partners 18 and 19 year olds at 4:00 AM. The 17 year old was out on a weekend pass from Juvie detention. Yes there are some that are not trained as well as we could be but we derserve to be armed so we can try to protect our homes from this kind of thing and have a better chance to stay alive....and at least some of of learned about law in the CCW class and are aware and are law abiding... which gives me more of a right to carry my weapon than the criminal trying to harm me or break into my home.

When you have to take mandated training to exercise a right(any right), you have set up the government to make the right impossible to attain.

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by stihl007 View Post
    i agree that training is essential but i don't want the gov telling me how much range time i have to get in before i can be permitted. Another problem w/ that is big brother will be tracking how much you train and you might become a bright blow on their radar, don't want that either, like they don't already monitor all these forums. For the person that already has the ccw, you're dang right. Train, train, train...
    ^^^this^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    When you have to take mandated training to exercise a right(any right), you have set up the government to make the right impossible to attain.

-Doc
    AND ^^^ this ^^^

I think SOME people shouldnt be able to exercise their 1st Amendment Rights........... AT least without some training beforehand.... "cause they can really ruin it for the rest of us...........

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    I think SOME people shouldnt be able to exercise their 1st Amendment Rights........... AT least without some training beforehand.... "cause they can really ruin it for the rest of us...........
    I'm assuming you mean 2nd...? Though I concede some people could use some English class before exercising their 1st.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast