Cycling assault. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling assault.

The fanny pack seems like a good idea. But, if I put myself into the bad guy's mind.... I might try to grab the fanny pack first, thinking that there might be a wallet, cash, credit cards, or something else of value inside of it. People do carry more than just tissues and lip gloss inside of them. They also carry nice concealed guns in some of them. In this particular situation, in my opinion, fanny packs seem good and bad at the same time. Easier to carry, but it may end up being the first thing that the crook tries to grab off of your body, then you are unarmed. The element of surprise, as well as being stunned by hitting the ground, may give the BG just enough advantage to grab that pack right off of you before you know what hit you. Just my 2 cents.
    God and brave men with guns made the USA a free nation. It will take the very same to keep it that way.

I agree with WorshipViolin, putting your gun in off body carry to protect from criminals known to steal bags??? If you wear a wind breaker or something similar you might think about a shoulder holster. A belly band might be comfortable. You would certainly be able to move it around to a workable position. What ever you settle on be sure to practice. Interesting question.

It's a tough one. I used to ride road bikes a lot in my younger days. No back pack 'cause the rides weren't longer that a few hours. I had a few instances when I was threatened or run off the road. There was one time I wish I had had a gun, but I would have had to be carrying it in my jersey's center rear pocket?? The piece would have been easy to get to but not very secure, bouncing around and uncomfortable. I was not attacked, but came close to that. The guy obviously grew up as an abusive bully. If I had drawn a weapon, he probably would have dared me to shoot him, or if he threw a punch and I shot him 'cause I felt my life was threatened? I could still be in jail. I think you're better off carrying a can of the strongest MACE you can find. Easier to carry, non-deadly, give you time to call 911 and ride away. My wife used to carry it in case of dog attack. Better than nothing...

Mace/pepper spray is a great idea (always be armed with a firearm too if at all possible) You could even mount a can of bear spray on your handlebars....

While a fanny pack seems like a good idea I would just worry a assailant would also go for the pack. While you can try to profile everyone and be prepare you really never know.
    I have a couple of other things I wanted to get opinions on. Let say you were assaulted and able to get you gun out and you had to use it. Where would you shoot? Why? And after you have discharged you firearm and you have the situation under control. How would you proceed from that point.
    I would think that calling the cops could wind up bad. Even you explained the situation to the dispatcher what the situation is.

To understand the reason I'm asking about this is because I live in a large college town that has a very antigun view

I would carry mace/pepper spray Velcroed to the handlebars. Then it doesn't matter where you're carrying, you can start spraying and have a few moments to get to your firearm. Though I also think a thigh holster would be a pretty effective deterrent, plus offer you quick access.

Ysterday there was this news on our local channel about this woman (she just came back from Iraq) who was jumped on from behind her back at one of the trails somewhere here in Missiouri. She screamed as loud as she can and was able to get away, running zigzagged fashion, as reported. Anyway, I wasn't paying much attention as I was cooking at the time but I remember the original post in this topic.

I noticed that much of the trail around this area curves to where it becomes impossible to see the joggers/walkers, etc., hardly noticeable at all. Where I came from, the biking, sports trails were almost always within sight of a main street so motorists can actually see you.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

9. Look, if someone is close enough to grab your fanny pack, they are close enough for you to hurt them with a poke to the eye, throat, armpit, or groin. You could also break a finger or two while they are struggling with your BUCKLED fanny pack. Pepper spray is an excellent less-than-lethal first step.

Incidentally, we should all have "In The Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob in our personal Libraries. It should be required reading for anyone who plans to defend themselves!

Using lethal force for what was described as a non-lethal mugging may not go well for you from a legal perspective. That scenario as described would probaly not justify lethal force in most states. I can see where the situation as described could go in a more lethal direction, which would make my first choice the pepper spray, and then a gun if the situation worsened and warranted such. It is difficult because being on a bike puts the individual in a complex reactive position that can make any type of defensive move more difficult.

Try one of those spandex holster shirts with a small 380. Holster Shirt | Concealed Carry Undergear Shirts | 5.11 Tactical

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast