have you ever had a friend.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: have you ever had a friend....

I've never had a friend that wasn't opposed to CCW. My wife and I both carry. Of all of our in-laws,children and grandchildren (all living in California), only one daughter & her husband support our freedom and carry themselves.
    The scariest words in all existence
    "Depart From Me, I Never Knew You"
    - Matthew 7:23 -

Reasonably intelligent people can disagree. Reasonably intelligent people respect other reasonably intelligent people's opinions. Your friend should respect your opinion and you should respect his. "Agree to disagree" is the pop term for this.

that was his last words on the subject

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by JimPage View Post
    Reasonably intelligent people can disagree. Reasonably intelligent people respect other reasonably intelligent people's opinions. Your friend should respect your opinion and you should respect his. "Agree to disagree" is the pop term for this.
    Key words are "reasonably" & "intelligent", therein lies the problem. .
    The scariest words in all existence
    "Depart From Me, I Never Knew You"
    - Matthew 7:23 -

Quote Originally Posted by Templing View Post
    Some really good thoughts on the this as I have many friends from different backgrounds and I learned a few lessons from making my decision to carry.
    This choice is not to be taken lightly as it effects me and my family and all around and I a daily bases A responsibility, that effects making the right choices anytime I carry.
    But I thinking at this point to not really tell anyone as it is my decision, and right and unless someone notices I carry it better they don't know in the long run. As feel 90% will never know anyways if am armed.
    My comment ... I applaud your decision to keep your pistol to yourself. One important thing to consider, though is what to do if you're dating. Probably not a good idea to spring it on her too soon, as it might scare her off. Probably not a good idea to wait until you're about to get intimate for the first time either, because that could lead to a very big misunderstanding. Timing is everything...
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Templing,

I think your decision to keep your choice to yourself is the best one. Only share decision-making of any kind with those who are affected by the decision, usually a spouse. As a comfort to your friend, I would offer him the solace that, should he ever be in danger, you will NOT use your firearm to defend his life, since he is opposed to your carrying a weapon.

My GF warmed up to it after a few years. Now she asks if I'm carrying and is always relieved if I am.
    http://www.change.org/petitions/self...tate-residents
    NRA Life Member, SCOPE,SAF Join up!

thanks appreciate the feedback

I never thought my choice would be so shocking and I think was taken back by his comments. It not like I don't carry several knives on me for the last 30 years and teach martial arts and he knows these facts about me, that this would be shocking as I hunt with guns and bows.
    I guess his reaction really got me off guard and thinking how other friends will react.

First off, as some have said, it is concealed for a reason--you do not tell people. At this point you do not mention it anymore and go about your CC business. If he does not like it and does not want to be your friend anymore--so be it.

I rely on "Don't ask. Don't tell." Keeps the conversation from coming up at all.

Although the most recent "encounter"/"exchange" I have had with a hopliphobe went down rather smoothly. (I thought.) I was discussing a location for a pistol range with a friend at a meeting of our "Gentleman's Club". The Number Two "Gentleman" of the club piped up with, butting in, "Oh! I am a believer in right to life and I don't believe in guns at all." I rebutted, "I am a right to lifer, too! Except in this case it's MY LIFE I'm concerned about."

Self important persons don't like to be needled. On the other hand, I have never learned to resist the urge to do just that!

He left in a huff. I suspect I may have lost some points with the Grand Hierarchy (read: VIP wannabees) as a result. Oh well. Don't mean nothin. Ruck up and move out.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast