How Do You Feel About Notifying LEO That You're Carrying - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Feel About Notifying LEO That You're Carrying

1. Politely informing LEO that you are armed, and letting him/her know the exact location of the weapon is the best way to avoid a "dramatic over reaction" on the part of the officer. I have been stopped for speeding while armed on three occasions (spanning several years) and have made it clear to the officer in each case that I had a weapon, and a permit. In two of the three cases, the officer simply asked me to keep my hands in sight & did not even secure the weapon. In the other case, the officer secured the weapon without incident and returned it to me, unloaded, after he had completed the stop.

Thank you to the majority of you who have responded in the positive. You want to hang your hat on your constitutional rights etal, fine, have at it. Most of these repliers agree with me that in an interraction with an LEO, during his police activities, indicating that you are CC is a responsible, polite, considerate (use whatever words you want) thing to do. Certainly in the states that require same, if you do not do it you are breaking the law and should be willing to face whatever the consequences of same are if this non-compliance is important enough to you. In states where it is not a requirement, as said before, have at it---it isn't my way nor that of most of the repliers to this thread that I have had the privilege to peruse.

4. It's not required here in NY. I've been stopped a few times and have notified each time. I keep my ccw permit right next to my drivers license and hand them both to the officer. I say nothing about a gun. Each time I was thanked.
    Seems to me that saying "I have a gun" or "I'm armed " is the wrong way to start off with a Leo.
    Handing him a valid ccw permit lets him know you are authorized to carry and avoids any misinterpretation of the "I have a gun" statement.

I can be courteous, polite and respectful to the LEO without ever mentioning whether or not I am armed. I am legally carrying said gun, so it is no different than the cell phone or bottle of water that is also in my vehicle. The fact that I am carrying is in no way germain to the stop. IF I am asked to step out of the vehicle only then will I bring it up.

The folks who do inform because they "don't know what kind of day" the LEO had...I think that's EXACTLY why you SHOULDNT mention it. If he was just in a stressful encounter and now you bring up the fact that you have a gun the stress level is going to go back up. And as mentioned, informing is the quickest way to determine that you nave an anti.

A bad guy that is carrying, even in states that require it by statute, are not required to notify as it would violate their 5th Amendment rights. Why should we, the good guys, be required to notify?

Florida has no problems with not telling unless asked. And it isn't tied to our DL or auto tags. Having to say does violate your 5th A rights. And the Canton incident shows that cops overreact because of the must tell law. And that isn't the first time a cop in a must tell state has turned beligerent on how soon you tell.

I will NOT notify unless required to do so. Here in Washington we do not have to. I have been pulled over twice and neither time did I say I was armed. The police are required to obey the law also and when ANY leo goes off the deep end just because the person is armed in my opinion they should not be an leo. I do realize there is officer safety involved having been through the California Peace Officers reserve training, but to take a persons gun that is LEGALLY being carried and hand it back to them unloaded serves little purpose. I carry a 38 special revolver as my primary gun and a NAA mini revolver as backup. The NAA is difficult to empty and reload and I can imagine the leo struggling with it. While this thread is not about open carry the same principle applies that if a person is obeying the law the police have no right to intimidate or harass anybody legally carrying a gun in his car or openly by his side. I do understand the desire of many people to avoid conflict and notify when they dont have to but I will not unless required. I also expect to be respected by the leo whether I am required to notify(and do) or do not have to notify(and dont). But if you choose to notify thats ok also. Just my opinion, not trying to start an argument.

Hey Santa: Appreciate your honest and well-said reply instead of some of the angry personally degrading replies featured at times on other threads. Considering the well-said replies preceding yours, it was a refreshing counter-opinion to the others.

9. I have been very close friends with several "good" LEOs for over 20 years. The Captain of my Sheriffs department help me get my CCP, and a local SWAT team member taught my class. My CCP is the first thing you will see in my wallet as it sits over my drivers license. "I have a CCP and I am armed", and with my hands out the window, is the first thing out of my mouth even if I have to interupt them. They have enough to think about during a stop without finding a dangerous surprise. I think the more that CCP holders show them respect, the more that they will respect us.

I live in a must tell the LEO state. I have no problem with it. The times I have been stopped and informed the officer, he just ok and went about his duties. No problems, no further questions about it. Most officers realized the background check you go through to obtain the permit, so I think that takes a lot of the tension away. Being up front, respectful and friendly goes a long way too.

I do not mind telling a LEO I am armed--BUT it must be one from the Chesterfield police department. Hopefully I don't get stopped at Balwin or I will not inform. Just keep quiet until I am asked.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast