How Do You Feel About Notifying LEO That You're Carrying - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Feel About Notifying LEO That You're Carrying

1. Here in Oklahoma it is the law to notify. I will certainly comply with the law. As a firefighter, I work hand in hand with LEO's on many situations. I would have to say that 90% are decent human beings just trying to do their job and make it back home to their families. I enjoy having the right to carry, and don't want to cause a situation that would compromise that right. Bottom line.....do the right thing, obey the law.

I have no idea if i would inform the officer right away when pulled over. I haven't had to make that decision yet. I would probably get out my permit when i got my license out before he even go to my car, but not sure if i would hand it to him right off the bat or not. That being said, if asked to get out of the vehicle, i would inform him at that point before setting foot out of the car. If i'm in the car seated he is not going to notice it and over react. The second i stand up, that may be a possibility, and i would tell him before he got the chance to find it on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by jlanc1960 View Post
    Politely informing LEO that you are armed, and letting him/her know the exact location of the weapon is the best way to avoid a "dramatic over reaction" on the part of the officer.
    ...unless you're dealing with the Canton, Ohio PD. In THAT case he'll PREVENT you from notifying, THEN threaten to murder you, THEN arrest you for not doing what he prevented you from doing.

Notification serves no good purpose at all. The recent despicable acts of Officer Harless of the Canton PD will hopefully be the stake through the heart of mandatory notification in Ohio.

I saw that video of the Canton OH fiasco. The officer definitely was WRONG in the way he acted, and I can't say that strongly enough.

That being said, there is not a doubt it my mind that there was ample opportunity at numerous times for the driver to inform either the officer searching the car, or the officer out of the car.

In NC it is the LAW to inform the nice LEO that you have a permit and are carrying.

I have only had one occasion to have to do it once since I got my permit and the acknowledgement set off a minor panic "reaction" in the Officer who stopped me. (His "back up", whom the first Officer called in to assist, was much more "cool" about it.)

You don't inform.... you can lose your permit. End of story. No sence letting the Government "beat us up" concering our "Rights" more than absolutely necessary.

Clue: Our "permits" and Drivers License have the same number. You know damn well they are linked at DMV!

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

7. I am so happy I don't live in a must tell state no need to spook a person taught that everyone tryin to kill him

That was my Ohio Peace Officers training

How do I feel about it? I would rather just keep it to my self.

9. +1 with Pinnacle Safety and Rich M! Don't ask, don't tell - that's my state law and my personal preference.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    +1 with Pinnacle Safety and Rich M! Don't ask, don't tell - that's my state law and my personal preference.
    And hopefully Officer Harless will be almost singlehandedly responsible for Ohio law to be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    And hopefully Officer Harless will be almost singlehandedly responsible for Ohio law to be the same.
    Otherwise people in OH might have to resort to wearing CCW Badges.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast