How Do You Feel About Notifying LEO That You're Carrying - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 71

Thread: How Do You Feel About Notifying LEO That You're Carrying

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by aj's 40 cal View Post
    in texas its required, but i believe they changed the law to this???? not sure, but id inform anyways, u know a cop has a gun and the last thing id want to do is be patted down then meet the ground or my car or his muzzle cause it spooked him or whatever cause he didnt know i had it. so id inform not only cause i have to, but might as well keep it calm, and civil to start with. i have cops in the family so i highly respect their thankless job and will do whatever i can to keep my end of the situation calm and respectful.
    In Texas, don't they know before they get out of their car? I've never had to tell a LEO before (I haven't been stopped since I got mine 12 yrs ago). I guess I should know this.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
    Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

  2.   
  3. #32
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Oro Valley, Arizona
    Posts
    119
    Doesn't bother me at all to notify.

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    211
    It is the law in Nebraska, and I have no problem with it. For my part, I have never been pulled over by an LEO unless I broke the law (and don't get me started about what I think of speeding laws). And the few times that I have had encounters with LEOs that I initiated, they seemed happy that the first thing that I told them was that I was legally armed. It should be obvious from some of my posts on this forum that I am anything other than pro-LEO. I personally have no use for the police and find them more of a nuisance than any real benefit. However, they are out there and I do have to deal with them. And, I fully realize that these people, regardless of what I may think of their profession, spend a good deal of their time dealing with the scum of society - the same people that we have armed ourselves against. The first thing that telling the LEO that I have a CCW does is tell them that I have passed a rigid background check and have a clean criminal record (at least in this state). He is dealing with a Citizen and NOT the scum that he usually has to deal with. In my area, I have found that LEOs react very well to this. Even the one "bad" encounter that my son had with an LEO that disarmed him during a traffic stop ended well when the officer profusely apologized to him and openly admitted that he had never seen the State CCW license before and thought that my son was carrying concealed with the City OC License which is illegal. Even in spite of the misunderstanding, the officer treated him well and even told him after he disarmed him to just remain by the vehicle and he would call his Sergent and see if he had made a mistake. Obviously, that is NOT the way it was done in Ohio.

    As an aside, I spend a lot of time watching "Cops" on TV, particularly when nothing else is on. One thing that both my wife and I have noticed is that the biggest a**holes seem to be from Ohio and New Jersey, and they don't even seem to mind that they are being filmed at it. I often wonder if that is just the way they are there, or if it is a reflection of what they have to deal with during the course of their jobs.

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    It is the law in Nebraska, and I have no problem with it.
    Mandatory notification is an utterly pointless exercise.

    1. It creates a false sense of security in some cops who SHOULD assume that ANYONE could be armed and dangerous.
    2. It focuses on those who allegedly AREN'T a threat to the exclusion of those who could be.
    3. It does NOTHING to prevent ANYONE from shooting a cop, licensee or otherwise.
    4. It is an open invitation to abuse, as has happened several times here in Ohio.



    Mandatory notification (at least in Ohio) needs to go away YESTERDAY.

  6. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by aj's 40 cal View Post
    in texas its required, but i believe they changed the law to this???? not sure, but id inform anyways, u know a cop has a gun and the last thing id want to do is be patted down then meet the ground or my car or his muzzle cause it spooked him or whatever cause he didnt know i had it. so id inform not only cause i have to, but might as well keep it calm, and civil to start with. i have cops in the family so i highly respect their thankless job and will do whatever i can to keep my end of the situation calm and respectful.
    My thoughts exactlly, Better safe than sorry. I'm Watchin. ______,,;0;,,______

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Say you don't inform until he asks, do you think its okay for a police officer to treat you differently after he found out you legally obtained a firearm and legally can carry it?

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Say you don't inform until he asks, do you think its okay for a police officer to treat you differently after he found out you legally obtained a firearm and legally can carry it?
    It's okay for him to act within the confines of the law.

    I don't need for cops to like me. Them obeying the law is more than enough.

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator:219969
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Say you don't inform until he asks, do you think its okay for a police officer to treat you differently after he found out you legally obtained a firearm and legally can carry it?
    It's okay for him to act within the confines of the law.

    I don't need for cops to like me. Them obeying the law is more than enough.
    officers better act within the law or they should not be officers. I was asking this question towards those that think informing the officer is good whether or not it is required because they don't want the officer to get worked up.

  10. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    officers better act within the law or they should not be officers. I was asking this question towards those that think informing the officer is good whether or not it is required because they don't want the officer to get worked up.
    If a cop gets "worked up" by LAWFUL activity, he needs to find another field of endeavor.

  11. Notification of Carry

    You need to jump on line and revisit that. Nevada DOES in fact require that you notify them. They usually know when they pull you over.

    Before I started carrying full time, I was asked a couple of times (at traffic stops) if I was carrying.

    I've had my Nevada, Utah and Florida licenses for close to nine years now but really started carrying full time about 4-years ago; after my 84-year old next door neighbor was home invaded and a month or so later, an officer was shot in my backyard (his partner shot and killed the perp and the officer ended up fine after nearly dieing from a shot to the femoral artery).

    If you've got nothing to hide, there's no reason not to tell them.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast